Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Double clickable X11 apps?

Double clickable X11 apps?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 05:44 AM

I see that in the X11 that comes with 10.3, you can double click X11 apps and they will launch.

Can anyone ellaborate? Does this mean if you compile the source, and a binary is made, you just double click binary and it opens X11 and then runs it? Is X11 built in, or still another app?

Thanks!

smitty825
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by timmerk:
I see that in the X11 that comes with 10.3, you can double click X11 apps and they will launch.

Can anyone ellaborate? Does this mean if you compile the source, and a binary is made, you just double click binary and it opens X11 and then runs it? Is X11 built in, or still another app?

Thanks!
X11 comes with Panther, but it is not installed by default. You have to do a "custom" install or install it seperatly.

Yes, if you compile an X11 app from source and double click it, X11 will recognize it and run. (I recently compiled "Kstars" (an astronmy program) with fink, and I was able to double click it to open X11 and allow it to run)

However, I was not able to place the icon in the dock...

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by smitty825:
X11 comes with Panther, but it is not installed by default. You have to do a "custom" install or install it seperatly.

Yes, if you compile an X11 app from source and double click it, X11 will recognize it and run. (I recently compiled "Kstars" (an astronmy program) with fink, and I was able to double click it to open X11 and allow it to run)

However, I was not able to place the icon in the dock...
Did you try placing it in the right side of the dock? In OS X terms, it is a document, not an application (even though it may be a unix executable, it's still not a Mac OS X application, as such).

How does the Finder/OS decide that a particular file should be run in X11? Does it have to be linked to a particular X11 library?

akuma-x
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2003, 12:14 AM

Also in the X11 that comes w/ Panther you are able to set applications that are assessable in the applications menu and by right/ctrl clicking on the X11 icon in the dock. Just load up X11 and then go to the Applications menu and then to customize.

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 12:36 AM

I've also noticed that you can now double click a shell script (and presumably perl scripts and others?) in the Finder and they will run in the Terminal. Previously they had to be named with a ".command" extension for this to work.

How does this work. Is the Finder reading the content of the file to determine what to do with it? (ie, looking for #!/bin/sh at the beginning?)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2003, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
How does this work. Is the Finder reading the content of the file to determine what to do with it? (ie, looking for #!/bin/sh at the beginning?)
To my understanding, it now looks at the file's permissions -- if it's executable, it tries to execute it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

suthercd
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 07:47 AM

A simple test- dragging the icon for /usr/X11R6/bin/xclock to the Dock, created a persistent icon that can be double- clicked. X11 launches then xterm then the app.

Craig

Forum Links
Forum Rules