Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > MacOS9 Printing thru CUPS-OSX (lpd)??

MacOS9 Printing thru CUPS-OSX (lpd)??
dvand19
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 02:23 PM

I am trying to find a way to print from my Mac OS 9 iMac to a Networked Printer (parallel port) connected to my DSL Router. The Printer is a non-PostScript HP LaserJet 1100.

I am currently printing from MacOS X with CUPS to the networked printer without any major issues. But I would like to know, if it is possible to print from Mac OS9 through OS X with CUPS, or AppleTalk, or TCP/IP, with this configuration?

I was previously able to print from the Mac OS9 to this printer through PCMACLAN on a Win2000 machine and using Ghostscript Director. This would capture the GhostScript images from the iMac and direct them to the printer. The Win machine would need always need to be running for this to work. I want to drop the Win Machine from the network, which is why I need a solution to this printing issue.

I was hoping to do something similar thru Mac OS X (or even Unix/X11) but nothing appears to be obvious.

any help would be great. thanks, dv.

dvand19  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2004, 02:57 PM

I was sent this reply in another forum. It solved my issue.
DV.
=======================================
Date: 13. February 2004 9:46:51 AM EST
To: [email protected]
Subject: MacOS9 Printing thru CUPS-OSX (lpd)??

When you enable printer sharing from the System Preferences, your printers are shared via IPP and LPD. In OS 9 you can use the Desktop Printer Utility to create an LPD printer. The IP address is the IP address of your OS X box sharing the printer and the queue name is the id of the queue in OS X. On OS X run Printer Setup Utility, select your printer, and do a Show Info. You'll see something called queue name. That is what you enter on OS 9.

Norman

Forum Links
Forum Rules