Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Yarr! I be getting a tax refund! Yarr!

Yarr! I be getting a tax refund! Yarr!
DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 03:16 PM

Filed for the 1st time... and I'm getting about 300 in refund money!

SwapFest, here I come!

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Feb 29, 2004, 03:20 PM

Right on. On you're way back stop by the Apple retail store and get me a 120gig portable hard disk. Cheers!... I mean Yarr!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2004, 03:28 PM

I got $2700 back this year.....well, about $2550 in actual fact because I paid $150 to have HR Block give me the instant return. I made about 13.5 grand in the 13 weeks I worked, which isn't terribly bad at all for a summer job (although I worked absolutely insane hours that would probably make YOUR head explode...me, I'm invincible).

Most of what's left over from paying off the credit card and whatnot is going to go away towards tuition and rent next year, because I pay for my schooling by myself (with the help of handy handy loans). I hope to save a little bit over the next 6 months, however, and perhaps pick up a used dual 1.8 or 2 gig G5 to replace my aging Quicksilver 733.

Any wildly rich Mac users looking to feel good about yourself? Knock a couple hundred below market value on that G5 and do a good deed...

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 03:28 PM

cameras and computers for me

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Feb 29, 2004, 03:30 PM

tax sucks ass. except when you screw the system. like living on some tropical island without any tax.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
I got $2700 back this year.....well, about $2550 in actual fact because I paid $150 to have HR Block give me the instant return. I made about 13.5 grand in the 13 weeks I worked,
You received $2700 back for only $13,500? You might be better off changing your claim # if that is the case.

That is a lot of with-holding over what you already paid in.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 03:40 PM

i'll be getting about $1900cdn back...that will all go towards a nice new G5 (whenever the next rev appears....)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 29, 2004, 03:52 PM

not to be the nanny but do you all realize that by overpaying on your taxes you're giving the government an interest free loan? you could have less taxes taken out and invest that money yourself so you get the interest rather than them..

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 04:56 PM

bugger off.. yes, its my money after a pseudo-loan, but its still needed funds.

Hous68
Feb 29, 2004, 05:02 PM

I used TaxCut this year for the second year in a row. 9 days from e-filing to direct deposit to my bank account. It's too bad the money is going right into a downpayment for a house rather than toys.
Peace. Love. MacOSX.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2004, 05:24 PM

i have to pay in this year...not too much though..so you can shut up i guess W. needs more money to start more wars.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2004, 05:25 PM

I get all my paid taxes back. Essentially, I pay none. School tuition is a perfect write-off, and I alway get carry-over to the next year (this year it was $2600, for example).

I'm not quite sure how I can work and not get any taxes taken off at all. I suppose if I could do that, yeah, I could invest the money (I've thought about it) instead of sending it to the government to hold without paying me interest, but how would that be done? The taxes are automatically deducted from my work cheques. Is there a way around this?

Thanks...

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2004, 07:50 PM

I just mailed my Federal and State Income Tax Forms today. Will be getting a refund from both. Going to use the money on a new G5!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 07:55 PM

Still need to mail mine... but the refund data is from TurboTax...

the cash goes to teh swapfest and photographica with me in April.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2004, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
I get all my paid taxes back. Essentially, I pay none. School tuition is a perfect write-off, and I alway get carry-over to the next year (this year it was $2600, for example).

I'm not quite sure how I can work and not get any taxes taken off at all. I suppose if I could do that, yeah, I could invest the money (I've thought about it) instead of sending it to the government to hold without paying me interest, but how would that be done? The taxes are automatically deducted from my work cheques. Is there a way around this?

Thanks...

greg
in america you fill out a w-4, saying that paid no taxes (or received all as a refund) last year and expect to do the same this year. then the deductions stop.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 12:51 AM

I can't believe folks get so happy about getting their money back from the government, who pays 0% interest on what you loaned them in excess of your tax liability. Yeah, checks are good, but IT'S ALREADY YOUR MONEY!

I'm getting quite a bit back this year (new exemption for my new kid), and while the check is nice, I shoulda had it in my pocket months and months ago. Time to change my witholding.....
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
I can't believe folks get so happy about getting their money back from the government, who pays 0% interest on what you loaned them in excess of your tax liability. Yeah, checks are good, but IT'S ALREADY YOUR MONEY!
i know what you're saying...but in my case, i get the "standard" withholding from my pay....i get the refund this (and some other years) because when it gets near tax time i look to see if i have any extra money around and if so i put it into my rrsp (tax deduction) - but because i don't really know if and how much until the last minute i can't really change my withholding...and i just hate the thought of writing them a cheque for more if i end up not having paid enough (enough being their definition, not mine!)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 01:28 AM

My refund is $1.53.

No joke.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

Ω
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by jld:
My refund is $1.53.

No joke.
I would blow that on hookers and drugs.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2004, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by _?_:
I would blow that on hookers and drugs.
i lold

dtriska
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
in america you fill out a w-4, saying that paid no taxes (or received all as a refund) last year and expect to do the same this year. then the deductions stop.
I think it's a T-1 in Canada. But, yeah, Shortcut, you can simply change your deductions. The reason you had so much withheld is either because you made a lot of money the year before, or your employer simply didn't do the paperwork correctly.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by jld:
My refund is $1.53.

No joke.
Many have told me that you are handling your tax situation the smart way. You are earning interest on your money instead of giving the government an interest free loan. Mine is due to donations and my wife's business deductions.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 1, 2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
bugger off.. yes, its my money after a pseudo-loan, but its still needed funds.
but you'd have those needed funds and more (interest) if you modified your deductions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules