Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > US vetoes UN resolution to Condemn Killing of Yassin

US vetoes UN resolution to Condemn Killing of Yassin
dcolton
Banned
Mar 26, 2004, 02:19 PM

Why won't the UN hold Hamas accountable for their attacks? The vetoe may not be popular, but I think it is the right thing to do.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,115242,00.html

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by dcolton:
Why won't the UN hold Hamas accountable for their attacks?
Because Hamas isn't a nation I would assume.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Mar 26, 2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Hmmm, that makes sense.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
I think that's the reason. I'm not sure(perhaps Troll or Simey could explain) but I think the UN deals only with nations and their actions. Since Hamas isn't the national military of Palestine I think the UN has little to say about it.

But like I said, I'm not sure.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Mar 26, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
I think that's the reason. I'm not sure(perhaps Troll or Simey could explain) but I think the UN deals only with nations and their actions. Since Hamas isn't the national military of Palestine I think the UN has little to say about it.

But like I said, I'm not sure.
I would assume that by linking Hamas or another terrorist organization with Palestine, it would make Palestine a terrorist state. Makes sense.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by dcolton:
I would assume that by linking Hamas or another terrorist organization with Palestine, it would make Palestine a terrorist state. Makes sense.
Yup, but this is one of the things I want to change about the UN. Both the veto and how it deals with sub-national groups. Just like UN's inability to get involved in civil wars unless both parties agree to let them in.

So I'm disappointed that the US would veto the resolution, but I understand it. I think it is time to somehow modernize the UN so they could deal with international terrorists. That way we could get more nations into that battle and it could be done with international troops. A solution I think most could agree on at least. Not necessarily like, but at least agree with the idea mostly.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

eklipse
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 03:21 PM

US vetoes UN resolution to Condemn Killing of Yassin

Big fvcking surprise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules