Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The New iMac G5: The RIGHT Way

The New iMac G5: The RIGHT Way
ender2002
Senior User
Aug 31, 2004, 08:19 PM

c'mon apple. get it right.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 08:21 PM

Picky, picky picky. Sorry, but a few inches of bezel on the bottom doesn't make or break the design.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 08:39 PM

maybe there is actually a reason that the case (monitor housing) had to be that big. maybe they physically could not fit everything into a case the size of a 17" monitor.

i don't think it looks bad at all.

and the hole on the back of the foot is so that the cable does not have to wrap around the foot.

ender2002  (op)
Senior User
Aug 31, 2004, 08:42 PM

i know. but i feel that slapping a huge apple in the front and a huge imac logo on the back was very unapple. they could have at least put some cheap grill speakers on the bottom of the display. a small imac on the top, and an elegant mirrored apple on the back.

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2004, 08:42 PM

It still looks better than anyting els on the market, by a long way.
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

SeminalGeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Aussiemac:
It still looks better than anyting els on the market, by a long way.
I really think it's a pretty carefully thought out design.

NY152
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 09:48 PM

I am hoping it looks better in person. Because it looks awfully plain in pictures. But when you are trying to make it look like a stand alone monitor it's bound to look boring. I really thought the effort that went into the last iMac was lost with this one.
<over-large signature edited by management>

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:
i know. but i feel that slapping a huge apple in the front and a huge imac logo on the back was very unapple. they could have at least put some cheap grill speakers on the bottom of the display. a small imac on the top, and an elegant mirrored apple on the back.
The concept was to mirror the iPod. Screen at top and bezel at bottom and logo at back. Of course it probably needed to be like that to make room for the electronics but it looks freakin' awesome with a clean look!!
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

bergen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 10:36 PM

I love the apple on the front - it says all that needs to be said. I can't say I'm a big fan of the "iMac" logo on the back but I'm willing to let it go.
"I'm not exaggerating baby.. it's 17 inches!"

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
maybe there is actually a reason that the case (monitor housing) had to be that big. maybe they physically could not fit everything into a case the size of a 17" monitor.
Look at THIS. It might explain why there is that extra room under the monitor.

BTW, there will be a market for right angle flat plugs so the iMac will sit flush against the wall. I wonder if anyone is working on this and an attractive cable management system. Please, Belkin, come through for us.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
Gee ya think? I thought they did it because they had a surplus of plastic laying around.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 11:57 PM

Yeah but think of all the post-it notes you stick down there

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2004, 11:59 PM

Actually I like the extra chin if you will.

Some will laugh but I'm always looking for places to stick post-it� notes, seriously. Plus for those who get a kick out of modding their Macs (I'm not one of them) will be able to come up with some cool art to put there. It also makes it looks more in kin to the original Mac.

Regardless the only other way to get rid of the extra bezel would be to make the screen larger, more square which of course would of been more expensive.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 12:03 AM

If only!
( Last edited by Ratm; Sep 1, 2004 at 12:15 AM. )

pugdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 12:35 AM

the speaker grates on the bottom double as an air intake for the three fans on the bottom. You've gotta keep that G5 cool! I think that's the reason for the bezel - besides the sticky notes

John R. Smith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 12:40 AM

our eyes are attracted to blank white spaces, so I wonder if the "double chin" on the iMac will become distracting when we are trying to focus on the screen.

BenRoethig
Sep 1, 2004, 01:01 AM

You'd have to make the screen blank on that design. Without a power supply, there'd be no way to turn it on. Design some times has to give way to physics.

Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by BenRoethig:
You'd have to make the screen blank on that design. Without a power supply, there'd be no way to turn it on. Design some times has to give way to physics.
They should have made the power supply external like the cube and get rid of the chin.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 1, 2004, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
They should have made the power supply external like the cube and get rid of the chin.
I HATE external power supplies, esp. in a desktop. Just more clutter. Plus an external power supply would be a big pain for wall mounted iMacs.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 01:48 AM

i liked the swing arm ... and the non chinned lcd .. but i havent seen it in person .. maybe it'll grow on me.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

LoganCharles
Banned
Sep 1, 2004, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by Evan_11:
Actually I like the extra chin if you will.

Some will laugh but I'm always looking for places to stick post-it� notes, seriously. Plus for those who get a kick out of modding their Macs (I'm not one of them) will be able to come up with some cool art to put there. It also makes it looks more in kin to the original Mac.

Regardless the only other way to get rid of the extra bezel would be to make the screen larger, more square which of course would of been more expensive.
You would stick post-it notes on a Mac?

Stick the power adaptor externally and lose at least 50% of the chin. That would at least proportion the 20" model out.

P1STi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 02:06 AM

heh the post-it notes would be interesting to see...the old swing-arm was VERY very nice...i remember going to the apple store and just stood there swinging that monitor left and right, up and down...the look is somewhat similar to that of the new cinema displays except for the gigantic block but hopefully it'll be better in person and besides, it'll probably grow...i remember not liking the ibook but as i saw it more, it looked more attractive...

ddma
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 02:46 AM

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2004, 02:52 AM

Apple-branded post-its? ****, Apple would stick an Apple logo on there and sell them for $10 a pad.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Apple-branded post-its? ****, Apple would stick an Apple logo on there and sell them for $10 a pad.
only the rich Mac Zealots would buy those .. =P .. should have a Cram Jam & Post .. lol .. comes with a 5-pack of Mac post its

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by P1STi:
heh the post-it notes would be interesting to see...the old swing-arm was VERY very nice...i remember going to the apple store and just stood there swinging that monitor left and right, up and down...the look is somewhat similar to that of the new cinema displays except for the gigantic block but hopefully it'll be better in person and besides, it'll probably grow...i remember not liking the ibook but as i saw it more, it looked more attractive...

Had a feeling you were Henry ... Hey folks .. welcome P1STi to the MacNN forums =) .. his ipod is in hand, and his powerbook is in the mail =P Welcome to the lightside bro

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Gee ya think? I thought they did it because they had a surplus of plastic laying around.
i was being sarcastic.

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2004, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by ddma:
that exactly what I thought, not a bad idea at all.
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2004, 02:27 PM

People, people, people. Don't you think Apple would have designed it that way if they could have? You KNOW that either price or engineering factors prevented them from doing so.

I bet you in another year they probably will look like that, as mobile computer components come down in price - Apple can using more PowerBook parts and shrink the thing further and hopefully do away with the wacky bezel.

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 02:44 PM

Actually, why have any bezel at all? It should have been just a floating palette of living color (powered by that kick-ass graphics card). Just edge to edge LCD.

I prefer my prints borderless--know what I mean?

-S

klinux
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by John R. Smith:
our eyes are attracted to blank white spaces, so I wonder if the "double chin" on the iMac will become distracting when we are trying to focus on the screen.
Bull. As if a blank piece of paper were placed next to another piece of paper filled with patterns, graphics, images, or words, you will end up looking at the white paper?

If blank white space is so interesting Apple would have kept the big ugly thick white bevels from its old displays

Originally posted by Lancer409:
only the rich Mac Zealots would buy those
[Apple branded Post-It notes].
Surely you jest! All zealots would buy it despite its high price and proclaim its simplicity, better design, functionality and elegance over the regular 3M Post-It notes. Some would argue it costs the same and the uber-zealots would argue that it costs less than 3M or store-brand original!
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by P1STi:
heh the post-it notes would be interesting to see...
They come with a teeny-tiny Fireware cable. . .

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Apple has made its own 'Post it notes'

See the proof HERE
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

John R. Smith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
Apple has made its own 'Post it notes'

See the proof HERE
yes, that seems like a joke, but just look at the tablet pc

why not just use one of these?

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2004, 08:04 PM

I like

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2004, 10:37 PM

thanks for setting us straight.

BTW i forward this to apple's designers so they can use it as a guide for the first revion. thanks again.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

ender2002  (op)
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 10:47 PM

lol. thanks.

Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Alezone:
I like

Oh my god, looking at that pict it looks like there is equal amounts of plastic as screen if you take the sides and bottom into account.

Forum Links
Forum Rules