Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Digital Camera Refuses To Be Named Anything But Untitled

Digital Camera Refuses To Be Named Anything But Untitled
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2004, 05:51 PM

Yah, It will let me name it when I plug it in, but as soon as I eject it, it goes back to calling it'self untitled.

zachs
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 08:16 PM

Mine does the same thing. Are you plugging it in directly, or do you have one of those card readers?

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2004, 08:35 PM

directly... any idea how to fix it? I know I named it forever ago under OS 9 and it stuck no problem. I'd rather not find an OS 9 computer to do it with though.

zachs
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
directly... any idea how to fix it? I know I named it forever ago under OS 9 and it stuck no problem. I'd rather not find an OS 9 computer to do it with though.
I searched Google and didn't come up with anything. I'll keep looking (I want to know how to fix it, too) and post back if I find anything.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 03:46 AM

Same problem. Two different cameras. Two different computers running 10.3.5 (and earlier versions of OS X).
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2004, 04:13 AM

This naming issue seems to be pretty universal with memory cards and OS X; I think I've even heard of it now working on Windows but I'm not at all sure about that.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2004, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Yah, It will let me name it when I plug it in, but as soon as I eject it, it goes back to calling it'self untitled.
It is possible to name the memory card anything you want; just format it using Disk Utility using the Erase tab, with the name of your choise, in the MS-DOS File System format. I've named the 256MB Memory Stick in my camera "256MB", did so back in February of this year, and it always show up as that when I mount it in the Finder. Only thing I'm not sure of is whether or not you have to select the Camera (eg - Sony Sony DSC Media) or the Volume itself. Try both, I guess.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2004, 11:30 AM

Well great, now I've got my camera named, only it's stuck in all Caps... it is currently calling it'self YOSHI instead of Yoshi...

Gah how is it that OS 9 could do this no prob but X can't?

Forum Links
Forum Rules