Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > who needs tiger?

who needs tiger?
NYGEO18
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2004, 07:06 PM

why does apple insist on releasing a new os almost every year? This newest update to 10.3.6 made me wonder why they don't just perfect panther for another year, let everyone enjoy a flawless system for a while, and then come out with something REALLY awesome. Not that Tiger isnt a pretty nice upgrade, its alright. I have Konfabulator so Dashboard doesn't interest me. Spotlight is also a good addition but I have LaunchBar so who cares? They too are identical. If Apple just stuck with Panther for another year, Tiger would be awesome. And worth $129. To boot, we'd all get something like 10.8, that would be 2 years worth of perfection into Panther. Smooth as the facet of a diamond. Not a single hiccup.
"Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
-Dave Attell

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2004, 07:18 PM

From a user's perspective, I can see what you mean. From a developer's perspective I can tell you I wish Tiger was coming out tomorrow. Tiger itself might not look that great to you, but what it will allow developers to do easier, quicker, and more integrated into the system is going to be amazing. They're adding SDKs all over the place.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2004, 07:31 PM

Me.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
Me.
Me too, especially if it fixes the major bugs in 10.3.X (the random freezes, the finder, etc.).

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2004, 08:07 PM

Well, as has been mentioned ad-nauseam in these forums. Nobody is forcing you to upgrade when it comes out. If 10.3+Konfabulator+Launchbar works for you, then just stick with that until you find something you really need in Tiger. There are still people running Windows 98, y'know ??

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2004, 08:34 PM

Me.

Tiger already has a sh1tload of features I can't live without.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 08:52 PM

Uh, LaunchBar and Spotlight are NOT identical...

An Alias
Forum Regular
Location: NOT in The People's Theocratic Republic of Homophobia
Nov 5, 2004, 09:03 PM

Tiger is the beginning of the slow X updates, I think. Looks like it'll be a year and a half after Panther that Tiger will hit the shelves. Apple have also stated that they intend to slow down the release cycle of X too, which seems reasonable. I reckon wuth Tiger they are pushing major under the hood technologies that will be the basis for things over a number of years, unlike previous versions which seem to be revolutionary every time they come out. That's understandable since X had a lot of ground to cover over the years, as well as attempting to go beyond what other OS manufacturers have.

All good stuff.

As to the question posed above, I'm pretty happy with Panther, it's the best version of X yet, and a great OS.
Who, or what actually won the US election? Intolerance. The Bush campaign was built around pushing God down people's throats; attacking Gays; and more Guns for the idiotic. Gays, Guns & God. Congratulations, you just participated in one big joke.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 09:30 PM

who needs tiger?
Enough people to make it financially viable to release.

yukon
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 02:10 AM

I need tiger. I need a filesystem that is better organized and searchable. iTunes needs a number of different features, like supporting cover.jpg in the album folder, that makes me hope 5.0 will come out with 10.4. Safari is way too slow for me to use (not rendering, but it beachballs while loading in backgrounded tabs), iCab, Omniweb, or I'm waiting on Firefox in March. My machine is older, and it needs all the extra speed it can get. I need an easy way to find the number of files in a folder, I need the finder to remember to update folder sizes when they change and be faster finding newly created files. I'd like for Quicktime to play commonly used codecs, until then I have mplayer.

There's lots of things I want in the next version. If it doesn't deliever, then I'll be disappointed, and get it on sale later on.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by NYGEO18:
why does apple insist on releasing a new os almost every year? This newest update to 10.3.6 made me wonder why they don't just perfect panther for another year, let everyone enjoy a flawless system for a while, and then come out with something REALLY awesome. Not that Tiger isnt a pretty nice upgrade, its alright. I have Konfabulator so Dashboard doesn't interest me. Spotlight is also a good addition but I have LaunchBar so who cares? They too are identical. If Apple just stuck with Panther for another year, Tiger would be awesome. And worth $129. To boot, we'd all get something like 10.8, that would be 2 years worth of perfection into Panther. Smooth as the facet of a diamond. Not a single hiccup.
every future 64 bit app for one. And there will be a lot of fixes I'm sure... however, I agree that the price should be less for people like me who purchased, Beta, .1, .2, and .3.... maybe a 50% vs retail...

but then, we are all hostages to Apple... cause I'm not switch'n
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2004, 12:15 PM

I want Tiger too! - and Safari 2.0..

Madrag
Senior User
Nov 6, 2004, 02:33 PM

I want Tiger 10.4.3
(in other words, I'm expecting Tiger to have the same problems in the beginning, and after some updates, be as good (even better hopefully) as Panther is after the updates)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2004, 03:03 PM

I have no real need for Tiger, but I'll buy it anyway because computers are my hobby.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 08:02 PM

Because your Panther features will stop working.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2004, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
Because your Panther features will stop working.
Actually, how about "no more updates to improve security or fix real problems"?

Are there any Jaguar users out there who don't have all the latest security updates? Apple doesn't fix all the holes (correct me if I'm wrong). If only the fixes worked on all OSX releases.

We all know Apple makes some money with each major release. We all know Apple needs money to survive. Each major release of OSX makes Longhorn look farther away and XP older. And do we all really pay $129 for it? I paid $65 (gov't purchase).

I'm not eager to update to Tiger because i will probably be buying a new machine next year anyway. And I'm happy with my DP800 as it is.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:

I'm not eager to update to Tiger because i will probably be buying a new machine next year anyway. And I'm happy with my DP800 as it is.
I know how you feel, but once you use Tiger, going back may be tough. I have a mdd867 as my HIGH end rig, and it still serves my needs quite well. Most of my time is spent trying to remember the last function I was working on, and not waiting for my Mac to compile.

I didn't pay the $129, but instead bought a select ADC membership. Hope to use the hardware discount soon :-)

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
Me too, especially if it fixes the major bugs in 10.3.X (the random freezes, the finder, etc.).
Riiiight. Because they're such common problems.

Oh and because "fix major 10.3 bugs" is USUALLY the main reasoning behind a FEATURE release of the OS :/

NYGEO18  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2004, 10:57 PM

ok ok...I have forgotten about the pro level users and developers who do need Tigers advancements. I see where you are coming from. I think I mistitled my post. I meant to imply that OS X would be more spectacular if another year was spent perfecting it. It would also leave us with a perfected panther. Still, Ill be on line on day one to pay my $129 for Tiger.
Also, can you tell me, above poster, how konfabulator is not like dashboard or how launchbar is not like spotlight?
I cant seem to see much of a difference.
"Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
-Dave Attell

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2004, 11:04 PM

I meant to imply that OS X would be more spectacular if another year was spent perfecting it.
It's not like Tiger is being written from scratch. It will be another evolution of the core system, just like further updates to Panther would be.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2004, 11:12 PM

Need Tiger. Must have Tiger. Give me Tiger. Tiger. Tiger. Tiger.

(Can you tell I am looking forward to it?)

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 7, 2004, 03:24 AM

First, that is exactly what Apple is doing... When then announced Tiger, the said that the major updates would now be stretched further apart. Personally, I loved how close they were together. Every year, another slew of features I had to look forward to. However, now that OS X is now fairly complete and stable, they cannot be expected to be adding 150 new features every year, so they have slowed it down. Even by the time Tiger comes out, it will have been well over a year since Panther came out.

And then let me finish with two strong points.

Dashboard is not Knofabulator

Spotlight is not Launchbar

They are completely different things, and just the fact that you compared them to each other from a users perspective means you have not done your research. John Gruber wrote some excellent articles about the whole Konfabulator fiasco, I recommend checking them out. As well, do some research on Apple's dev site for Tiger about Spotlight. It is not an app launcher.

wjpjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2004, 10:36 AM

how konfabulator is not like dashboard or how launchbar is not like spotlight?
I cant seem to see much of a difference.
On the surface dashboard and konfablator look the same but under the hood they are different animals. For one, dashboard is integrated into the core OS and stays out of the way until called up via the F12 key. I for one could never get into the konfablator desktop widget thing since my widgets were always covered up by applications. Launchbar and other so called launchers are not in the same league as spotlight. Spotlight is not just a app launcher. Again, it's built into the core of the file system structure. It is caching meta data in the background across all data types similar ti how BEOS did. Once you have used Tiger for less than an hour you can't go back to Panther - it's that good ... even in the current developer release it is very stable. Granted there are some cosmetic issues and a few apps don't play well but Apple has come a long way in its development since WWDC. As someone else pointed out do some research.

piracy
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Actually, how about "no more updates to improve security or fix real problems"?

Are there any Jaguar users out there who don't have all the latest security updates? Apple doesn't fix all the holes (correct me if I'm wrong). If only the fixes worked on all OSX releases.
Actually, this is wrong. Security updates for all issues are still made available for 10.2.x, and were provided for 10.1.x until January 2004:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61798

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 01:44 PM

no one NEEDS tiger, but it has the magic word "upgrade' on it...so we all WANT it.

this is business; apple needs to keep pushing ahead, to compete with that other os (i forget what it's called... ), marketing means promoting new features (most consumers look at the style & comfort of a new car, not so much at what's under the hood...); i'm more excited about the "invisible" changes coming).

i want my powerbook to work, to work flawlessly. i don't need more eye candy, new gadgets (but i'll take them).

anyway, when it comes out, i'll buy it. because that is what we do.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules