Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" powerbook battery life decreased a LOT

12" powerbook battery life decreased a LOT
hurric00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 12:50 PM

I am not sure if this has been posted. I did a search but didn't find it.anyways here it goes:

My 12" pb was mostly used with charger for the past year but when I did use the battery it lasted me over 3 hours easily. Now that I've got a wireless router I've used it on battery a lot more. At first a couple times it just went to sleep suddenly with battery on 60% or so but I did a PMU reset and it does'n thappen anymore. now it lasts just over an hour on the battery. What happened? I think 2hours is significant. I know airport extreme uses battery and all but it battery life dropped 2 hours.
I didn't buy apple care so can't return to apple. Any suggestions on how i can fix/improve this would be appreciated.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 03:26 PM

Well, if you used it primarily plugged in for the whole year, that probably wasn't so grand for your battery now. So it very well could be that your battery has just gotten old and crappy. Make sure you've installed all the recent updates, for things like battery firmware from software update. If the problem is still there, I think you might want to go out and spend the 129 bucks to get a new one. Also do you have the processor set to reduce power when on AirPort? How bout turning down your screen? There are lots of tricks you can do to reduce power consumption.

Pringlis
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 07:07 PM

I've noticed a significant decrease in my PowerBook's battery also and I guess it can be attributed to keeping it plugged in a lot of the time also. My Capacity is now under half of what it used to be and I only got about 90mins of battery life.

"IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=2084,"Amperage"=0,"Current"=2062,"Vol tage"=12384,"Flags"=838860805})

Does anyone know if AppleCare covers the battery for the first year only or the second year also?

Cheers,
Neil

t500
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 07:08 PM

There is another thred that has this conversation a couple lines down. There is some trouble shooting things in there you can try. Also OWC sells a high capicity battery for the 12inch now.

Jerr

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2005, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by t500:
Also OWC sells a high capicity battery for the 12inch now.

Jerr
If this is what you mean, then I don't see where are the batteries for 12" Powerbooks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2005, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by Pringlis:
"IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=2084,"Amperage"=0,"Current"=2062,"Vol tage"=12384,"Flags"=838860805})
Yep, your battery kicked the bucket. New 12" batteries have a capacity of about 4k. Mine is rather new and at 3900. My older 12" battery went down to 2k after being plugged into AC power for about 11 months and almost no battery use. I just bought a new one.

If I were you, I'd just get a new battery and enjoy wireless life. I doubt AppleCare or any warranty would cover the battery. Especially, since it's still 'working' - it's just the capacity that sucks.

vexingv
Jan 31, 2005, 09:56 PM

how do i get battery info like that you pasted above?
unlike the a5" or 17", the 12" its not exactly feasible to take the battery out and only use the ac power. what would be a good if they made some type of blank/spacer so that could be possible.

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2005, 10:17 PM

And I thought I am the only one with this problem.

Just like Simon said, "My older 12" battery went down to 2k after being plugged into AC power for about 11 months and almost no battery use." I use my battery the same way

This is what happen in the last couple of months: it dropped from 38xx - 32xx - 29xx - 24xx - 20xx.

I always suspect there is something wrong with keeping the battery on the PowerBook this way...
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2005, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by vexingv:
how do i get battery info like that you pasted above?
Just open a shell (terminal window) and type the following:

ioreg -l | grep -i IOBatteryInfo

Forum Links
Forum Rules