Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 1g vs 2g vs 3g

1g vs 2g vs 3g
JerksSuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2005, 07:10 PM

I'm looking to get an iPod, but I want to know what the pros and cons of the older models are. Can anyone explain it to me?

iMacfan
Senior User
Jan 27, 2005, 07:46 PM

1 and 2 are the original, more chunky looking design, apart from 2 has a touch wheel instead of one that really moves.

3G has the four buttons abouve the wheel (a deal breaker for me IMHO), and came with USB2/FW connectivity, the dock port, larger capacities (made from 10-40Gb), and the software was improved to include more games, and on the go playlists.

Any other Qs?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 08:02 PM

From a design standpoint, I strongly prefer the 1G and 2G models because of the button layout. Having the row of buttons along the top is bad enough; the fact that they were touch buttons made them just awful to use. That said, there is a manufacturing defect that could possibly make the 1G and 2G iPods unusable - the headphone jack is very flimsy and wiggles around a lot. It can cause the headphones to fall out of the jack and it also causes some annoying static once in a while. It gets worse with time. If I had to choose between a design defect and an inconvenient button layout, I'd go with inconvenience. The headphone jack on the 3G is nice and sturdy.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jan 27, 2005, 10:39 PM

Regarding the gen. 1&2, don't forget that the FireWire ports can be a problem too. If they are abused and/or overused the port and its connectors can come unsoldered from the logic board. This can be repaired. In the worst cases the solder pads are actually torn from the logic board making the repair impossible.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2005, 11:20 PM

Just in the interest of balance,,,
I have had a 1st gen. and never had a single problem with it.
I prefer the wheel on it to any of the ones that came later.
The fit and finish are also superior to me to the newer ones. They don't seem as Mass-Produced to me.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by audvidsvs:
Just in the interest of balance,,,
I have had a 1st gen. and never had a single problem with it.
I prefer the wheel on it to any of the ones that came later.
You prefer the moving wheel of the 1G to the touch wheel of the 2G? Interesting. I've had both and I much prefer the 2G. The touch wheel seems more durable.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by audvidsvs:
They don't seem as Mass-Produced to me.
lol. they weren't.

3G has the touch-sensitive buttons which are good for some people (if you're worried about dirt getting into buttons, etc)

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:

3G has the touch-sensitive buttons which are good for some people (if you're worried about dirt getting into buttons, etc)
It is one of the the reasons I am selling mine. The damn buttons are HORRIBLE in so many ways.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
It is one of the the reasons I am selling mine. The damn buttons are HORRIBLE in so many ways.
Yeah, they can also be a pain, but they look really cool when lit up!

JerksSuck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 08:22 AM

I'm looking to get a 10gig of one of those models. Can anyone suggest prices for each one with a 10gig capacity?

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2005, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
Yeah, they can also be a pain, but they look really cool when lit up!
yes, i believe the 3g ipod is a classic design and it is horrible to use unless you like to show off your ipod in public. That's what is happening in NYC, most people hold their ipods on hands are using the 3g ipod.

For people like me and would like to keep the ipod hiding from the public, the 3g doesn't work for me.

The best thing about the 1g ipod is you can actually pause and skip the track when the ipod is inside an apple bundled case, so i don't even need to take it out on my pocket.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 11:03 AM

just to add another opinion to the list. I owed a 1G (stolen) and now have a 3G. I think the tactile response of the 1G moving wheel was/is better than any of the "touch wheels" we have now, but the fact that it and the buttons were moving pieces was a huge drawback in terms of durability/dirt etc. Overall, I much prefer my 3G's touch buttons because they can't get gunked up.
cpac

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
just to add another opinion to the list. I owed a 1G (stolen) and now have a 3G. I think the tactile response of the 1G moving wheel was/is better than any of the "touch wheels" we have now, but the fact that it and the buttons were moving pieces was a huge drawback in terms of durability/dirt etc. Overall, I much prefer my 3G's touch buttons because they can't get gunked up.
That's what I was trying to say.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

JerksSuck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 02:07 PM

What about battery life? Whats a good price for each one in a 10GB?

EDIT: Also, I have both a Mac and a PC. Will an iPod work on both? Or, if I get a Mac iPod, is there a way to make it compatible with a PC?
( Last edited by JerksSuck; Jan 28, 2005 at 02:17 PM. )

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 07:23 PM

Format it for PC first and you could use it for both Mac and PC. Format it for Mac first and PC wont recognize it, I wonder why people say PC's suck.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

JerksSuck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 09:13 PM

Sweet, thanks. I like the sig btw. Can anyone give me a good price to pay for a used 10gig 1g/2g/3g?

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by JerksSuck:
Sweet, thanks. I like the sig btw. Can anyone give me a good price to pay for a used 10gig 1g/2g/3g?
www.ebay.com

I'm not doing your homework for you...

JerksSuck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 10:19 PM

I'll just get all of the ebay prices and subtract 50 dollars from them. Ebay is way too inflated. Like...by a lot.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 10:56 PM

You may also want to look at refurbs instead of 'used.' I got a refurbed 15GB from an Apple reseller that was spotless and also had a new LCD. I got it for 25% less than brand new. I don't like used; I like to make my own scratches I guess.

FastForward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 01:25 AM

I don't get all the people that dislike these. Granted, the only iPod I've owned is the 3g 15 gig I currently have but I love the layout and design. I've used my iPod probably 4-6 hours a day for the year and half or so I've had it and the buttons are like second nature to me and have never been a problem. They're logically layed out and cause no problems for me, even when not looking at the unit. Plus I like the idea of no moving parts. You could dump sand on the thing and it wouldn't cause a problem. Big plus in my book.

Personally, the 4g click wheel is one of the reasons I've held off on getting one. I'm praying the 5g's go back to the 3g design. Just my $.02.

Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by FastForward:
I don't get all the people that dislike these. Granted, the only iPod I've owned is the 3g 15 gig I currently have but I love the layout and design. I've used my iPod probably 4-6 hours a day for the year and half or so I've had it and the buttons are like second nature to me and have never been a problem. They're logically layed out and cause no problems for me, even when not looking at the unit. Plus I like the idea of no moving parts. You could dump sand on the thing and it wouldn't cause a problem. Big plus in my book.

Personally, the 4g click wheel is one of the reasons I've held off on getting one. I'm praying the 5g's go back to the 3g design. Just my $.02.
Tactile feedback should not be underrated. I HATE the 3g because you can't use it from your pocket your bag. You have to look at it to see what you are pushing. Even then it doesn't work right, I push the button and it doesn't react, so I have to raise my finger and do it again, still nothing, so I push it 5 times. Next thing I know it jumps ahead 7 songs because it just wasn't reacting to the push immediately because it was firing up the hard drive.

Also, the sensors react differently depending on temperature. If you push a button in room temperature than lock the iPod, go outside, unlock it and try pushing another button it doesn't work because it sets the button temperature sensitivity when you lock it. So I end up having to unlock, lock and unlock it again. Turning it off also is a pain holding that button down because most of the time it pauses instead of shutting down.

SUCKS!

zero1207
Feb 2, 2005, 12:02 AM

i think everyone has their preferences. my first ipod was a 10GB 3G and i thought the buttons were the coolest thing since sliced bread. it didn't take any getting used to because it was my first ipod so i didn't have trouble finding the buttons in my pocket. you just get used to what you have. i had to get a new ipod cuz i filled my 10GB (i had thought that would be impossible but now i have the 40GB) so i was bummed i would have to deal w/ click buttons on the 4G. after a week i found that having the buttons on the click wheel was pretty tight. i thought they would push down real far and allow dirt in, but they hardly go down at all. just enough to know you did something with the ipod. i don't have experience with the 1G or 2G ipods but i think you're just going to be stoked that you have an ipod no matter the model. they're amazing. i would recommend you evaluate your music collection and make sure theres room to grow i thought the 10GB was a little restricting but it all depends on how you use it. good luck

Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by zero1207:
i think everyone has their preferences. my first ipod was a 10GB 3G and i thought the buttons were the coolest thing since sliced bread.
You are the first person I have ever seen that called sliced bread "cool".

zero1207
Feb 2, 2005, 08:55 PM

sliced bread is hardcore

Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 01:07 AM

I sold my 3g!!

Yippie!!

I like my shuffle so much better anyway.

FastForward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 01:58 AM

Tactile feedback should not be underrated. I HATE the 3g because you can't use it from your pocket your bag. You have to look at it to see what you are pushing. Even then it doesn't work right, I push the button and it doesn't react, so I have to raise my finger and do it again, still nothing, so I push it 5 times. Next thing I know it jumps ahead 7 songs because it just wasn't reacting to the push immediately because it was firing up the hard drive.

SUCKS!
*shrugs* I use mine from my pocket or without looking at it all the time. The only time I ever look at my iPod at all is to change albums. To each his own.

I would agree with the turning off part though. That majorly annoys me sometimes. However, it's a good trade off in exchange for no external moving parts imo.

Dr.Michael
Feb 5, 2005, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by JerksSuck:
I'm looking to get an iPod, but I want to know what the pros and cons of the older models are. Can anyone explain it to me?
I have a 5gig 1st gen iPod. Its still great. I have 3.5 gig of music and the rest for data. The battery still lives 9(!) hours in nonstop play mode with moderate sound intensity. Looks good, is easy to use, not a single problem. I host all my music on my powerbook and copy what I need to the iPod. So the 5 gig are no limit at all. Does not suck. What sucks is scrolling through 40 gb of music and endless playlists.

I won't update until apple introduces hierarchical playlists or a mini with > 15 hours of battery life.

If you buy and old iPod you save your money to put in a brand new Newertech exchange battery that will last >20 hours.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Feb 6, 2005 at 07:14 AM. )

JerksSuck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2005, 09:38 PM

Well, bought a 10gig 3g. Pretty happy about it. Haven't gotten it in the mail yet. Hopefully I don't get ripped off. I'm so stoked! I only have 1.3 gb of music right now, so by the time I fill it, I'll be able to upgrade.

Forum Links
Forum Rules