Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 vs PM

G4 vs PM
SassyPants
Apr 22, 2005, 05:30 PM

How does the G4 compare to teh Pentium M processors in PC's?

Basically, i'm asking which performs better, the 15" Powerbook, or, lets say...an IBM T43.

I've heard stories that the Pentium M notebooks are the better notebooks. Anyone care to prove me wrong or flame me for even thinking this?

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2005, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by SassyPants
How does the G4 compare to teh Pentium M processors in PC's?
I've heard stories that the Pentium M notebooks are the better notebooks.
Perhaps you mean that the P-M processor is better than the G4. Which is true, in tasks that involve frequent FPU and L2 cache memory usage or memory bandwidth. In other everyday tasks that rely on clock speed, you will hardly notice any difference.

Now as a whole package, I think the Powerbook is generally better than any Windows laptop out there.

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2005, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pierre B.
Perhaps you mean that the P-M processor is better than the G4. Which is true, in tasks that involve frequent FPU and L2 cache memory usage or memory bandwidth. In other everyday tasks that rely on clock speed, you will hardly notice any difference.

Now as a whole package, I think the Powerbook is generally better than any Windows laptop out there.
I own both a 12inch Powerbook G4 1.33 and a IBM Thinkpad x31 with a1.3 Pentium M. Both have over 1 gig of ram and 60 gig 4200 rpm hdds. Honestly the PentiumM is faster overall but the Powerbook is a much more enjoyable experiance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules