Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help: Camera Filters and Lens

Help: Camera Filters and Lens
Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2005, 09:20 PM

Am thinking of buy a filter adaptor for my sweet ass Sony V-3 digital camera which will let me use 58mm lens and filters.

Any boffins out there that can tell me whether i'll be able to use any 58mm lens/filter with the adaptor or will i be stuck with sony ones only? Im guessing I'll be free as a bird but want to check first.

oh and any one have any good recommendations for what to use when? Like what sort of filters are good for sunsets/waterfalls/etc/etc

thanks peeps

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2005, 02:35 AM

I feel obligated to respond....

Filter: Any 58mm filter will fit once you have the adapter. Don't buy sony's overpriced crap; however, do buy a good brand: Heliopan or B+W.

A skylight or UV filter is good protection filter (it does adjust the image only slightly; most people can't tell). Circular Polarizer is a good all around filter that makes colors richer and is adjustable (note: only get circular polarizer becuase a linear polarizer will screw with your auto focus).

Beyond those two, it depends... I'd invest in a cokin filter system because of the options available. Some sunsets look good with a graduated yellow or orange. Most waterfall pictures require a longer shutter speed to make them look natural and flowing; a neutral density filter will help you achieve the lower shutter speed without the compromise of the aperture and depth of field. There are so many options with cokin; just visit their website. Check out the brochures section.

Lenses: I would suggest buying sony's lenses simply because in general, aftermarket lenses are pretty horrible. Adding lenses to additional lenses isn't a good idea (IMHO); the images aren't the highest quality. Of course, I am more of a purist, single focal lenght lense sort of guy.

Let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Camera God
A skylight or UV filter is good protection filter (it does adjust the image only slightly; most people can't tell). .
A good UV filter shouldn't change *anything*.

Also watch out with vignetting if you use cokin. I'm not a big fan of Cokin but they make good stuff. I don't like them because of the mount system they have, I prefer screw-on filters.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2005, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
I disagree. If you look through a B+W UV it actually looks sharper than without. But that is what you get for paying $50+ for a UV filter.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 04:28 AM

Well my B+W and Nikon filters don't change anything (that you can see). In theory they shouldn't change anything.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

jebjeb
Senior User
Jun 15, 2005, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger

Also watch out with vignetting if you use cokin. I'm not a big fan of Cokin but they make good stuff. I don't like them because of the mount system they have, I prefer screw-on filters.
I would argue that a UV filter does take a bit of haze out of the image.

The Cokin system is pretty good as long as you get the right size for your lense combo. The smallest series (is it A?) should be alright but as Goldfinger said, check for vignetting (when it darkens the edges of the image as it is encroaching on what the lense sees).

I think I have the P system (about 75mm wide filters) for my EOS 10D which was a holdover from my old film system. As I am now using wider lenses, I am starting to see vingetting so I may have to look into the full size (100mm+) systems, most likely the Lee system.

You would be happy with Coken.

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2005, 05:18 AM

As long as you are concious about how you are using the Cokin filters, there should be no problem. The sad part is, no one these days wants to think about the photographs they are taking.

Goldfinger - try taking a look through one eye at something with detail at a medium distance (20 - 30 ft). Move the B+W filter in and out of your line of sight. You should notice that looking through the B+W filter is sharper than your eye alone. Another good test just to show how nice the B+W filters are is to lay one down on a white sheet of paper next to a Tiffen multicoated UV and a single coated UV. All except for the B+W usually have a slight yellow tinge to them. It is quite disgusting considering many people put that in front of their lenses.

Spook E  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 07:02 AM

thanks for the advice guys thats really great!

I'm just starting to think more about what and how i'm taking my photos rather than just going *bang*bang*bang* and hoping for the best and have had some pretty good results IMHO.

I love fiddling with the shutter speed on waterfalls put they do tend to wash out a bit, so hopefully the filter you recommended will do the trick though it can be a little tricky as the V3 has a problem with selecting the wrong apiture at times.

Heres a couple of snaps i took recently, not to bad methinks :

http://users.bigpond.com/orangeCookies/photos/1.jpg

http://users.bigpond.com/orangeCookies/photos/2.jpg

http://users.bigpond.com/orangeCookies/photos/3.jpg

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2005, 10:36 AM

Nice thumbnails

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Spook E  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 07:24 PM