Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > fitting a new hard drive into my G4 iMac..

fitting a new hard drive into my G4 iMac..
Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2005, 07:05 AM

hey guys.

i'm planning on fitting a new 320GB hard drive in my 17" 1ghz G4 iMac.

my plan is to fit the new drive first in my firewire drive case, and use superduper to clone my existing drive onto the new one, then fit it in the machine. (with the help of http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/i...takeapart.html )

my only concern is that the firewire case only supports drives up to 200GB. if i fit my 320 into the case and format the disk, using disk utility, will the disk then show up as 200GB when i fit it internally?

or can i just fit my new drive first, then boot off the firewire drive with my old drive in it, and clone it over that way?

anybody else have any other tips or advice i should be aware of? i'll also be replacing my internal superdrive with a DVR-109..

thanks

-Mark

in case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

Forum Links
Forum Rules