Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Simply put: Can I run Apache on OSX..now?

Simply put: Can I run Apache on OSX..now?
jobsconscience
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2001, 11:05 AM

I want to make the jump but need to know if one can install and run the UNIX version of Apache on OSX as is..or if we need to wait for an OSX version (similar to how NT uses its own version)...does OSX ship with Apache ?

thanatos
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2001, 11:13 AM

Apache is included with MacOSX. It is installed by default. It is the UNIX version.

It works excelent...

apachechief
May 30, 2001, 11:15 AM

You can also install new versions over the existing one included with MacOS X.

NeilCharter
Senior User
May 30, 2001, 01:29 PM

I have Apache running but I don't really know what to do next.

Does anyone know a real easy guide for newbies to start editing their pages?

Thanks,

Neil
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

griffman
Senior User
May 30, 2001, 01:47 PM

Just load up http://127.0.0.1/~username, where username is your short user name. This will load the OS X default index page, which explains the basics of creating your own pages.

-rob.

------------------
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
May 30, 2001, 01:48 PM

The current version, as far as I know, installs perfectly.

He's how to download and install Apache (in the Terminal):

wget http://download-url/
tar xvfz apache-x.x.x.tar.gz
cd apache-x.x.x
./configure
make
su
make install

------------------

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2001, 03:39 PM

Entire books are devoted to Apache. If you're going to be doing much with it, it's worthwhile getting a hold of one. I like Apache for Dummies, but you should poke around the computer section of a bookstore and find one that's written in a style you can live with.

BTW - does anyone else think that OSX/Apache is taking off in a way that video editing still hasn't? I hope Apple's not overlooking a killer app - the home webserver market. Then again, I suppose Apache doesn't move as much hardware as video editing does.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2001, 05:52 PM

If Apache is going to really take off, it needs a decent GUI configuration tool. Unfortunately, Apple has only seen fit to include theirs in OSX Server (a critical mistake, in my opinion). I don't know if Webmin works right with Apache on OSX yet, though I see no reason why it shouldn't.

That's the major thing about Apache: configuration is tough. I've been using Unix for several years now, and the thought of going anywhere near Apache's config files still gives me the creeps. I won't deny that Apache is the best out there, but if the average user is going to adopt it, then it needs to be accessible to the average user. And the current system of config files just doesn't cut it where that is concerned.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

epdeezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2001, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by NeilCharter:
I have Apache running but I don't really know what to do next.

Does anyone know a real easy guide for newbies to start editing their pages?
Well Neil,
Apache, when installed, makes a folder with an index.html file in it.

If your computer has a name (i.e. [email protected]) then just call up the URL on the web and it should have a default page. You can find your index.html file in:
/home/httpd/html/index.html

Just pico it and edit it using HTML...

thats all...

P.S. if you want to add any pages just make a new page in PICO or whatever Text editor you use and save it in the HTML folder....

P.P.S. since httpd is a daemon, it will automatically check and recall your files....nifty linux feature eh?

Good Luck!

EPD

EPD

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 30, 2001, 07:00 PM

First off, you turn on Apache by opening System Preferences and then the Sharing pane. Just click "Web Sharing On" and it'll start Apache. Simple, ain't it?

Few quick tips:

(1) Main webserver pages are located in /Library/WebServer/Documents
(2) Your personal site is located in your sites folder. It's accessible at http://localhost/~username/ (assuming Apache's running)
(3) You can access the full Apache manual at http://localhost/manual/ (assuming Apache's running)

That's all you really need to get started. If you have a dynamic IP, you can go to www.dyndns.org to get a hostname for "free". If you want to delve into more complex stuff, you really should get a book or stop by in our brand-spanking-new-coming-soon Web Developer forum.

But for now, I'm going to move this to OS X Usage & Support. Click through to find your thread.

thanks and HTH

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.

[This message has been edited by gorgonzola (edited 05-30-2001).]
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

NeilCharter
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 01:31 AM

Okay dudes - first of all WTF is pico - I heard of it through these forums but don't really know what it does.

My guess, but I could be wrong is that editing HTML pages requires the user to work through the terminal. Am I right?

Now I have been able to make rudimentary pages using the editing capabilities of say Netscape, Word or even OmniWeb.

I kinda of guess that these programs may not do a really good job. What would be ideal is a GUI based program for writing pages that would do most of the thinking for you. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Neil

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 31, 2001, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
[B]If Apache is going to really take off....[B]
Funny ! This is the server that powers >50% of all the web sites in the world we are talking about...

...but I'm sure one day it will 'take off' LOL !!

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by NeilCharter:
Okay dudes - first of all WTF is pico - I heard of it through these forums but don't really know what it does.

My guess, but I could be wrong is that editing HTML pages requires the user to work through the terminal. Am I right?

Now I have been able to make rudimentary pages using the editing capabilities of say Netscape, Word or even OmniWeb.

I kinda of guess that these programs may not do a really good job. What would be ideal is a GUI based program for writing pages that would do most of the thinking for you. Any ideas?
Yes, Pico is a terminal-based text editor. It's a good solution for simple edits to web pages. Other good text solutions are BBEdit, Pepper, and jEdit. Any text editor will work, as a web-page is nothing more than a text file, plus whatever graphic files you add.

However, you do NOT need to use a text editor at all. There are many graphic tools for web page creation, such as Visual Page, Dreamweaver and Pagespinner. I don't think any of these are caronized for OS X yet, but they should work in Classic.

And lastly, as far as text-editors not doing a great job, that's all I use for work (as a web developer).

------------------
Scott Genevish
[email protected]
------------------
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2001, 02:11 PM

You will find step-by-step instructions for installing, configuring, and getting started with Apache, Tomcat, Ant (web apps build tool), CVS (source code control), etc. on Mac OS X at Geek Times.

These are step-by-step instructions, including every command used to install and configure, with some screen shots (as appropriate). No philosophy. No commentary. Just a helping hand.

------------------
Since EBCDIC
Make every post count!

[This message has been edited by Since EBCDIC (edited 05-31-2001).]
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

NeilCharter
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 03:23 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I'm kinda new to this game. BBEdit Lite has just been released and I think I will start to play with this. One question though - the default index page in my home directory has an introduction to web server from Apple. Now I assume that this could be used as a link page to other pages. Is there any automatic way to set up hieracharal links or is this something one has to make oneself?

And lastly, as far as text-editors not doing a great job, that's all I use for work (as a web developer).

I'm sure text editors do a good job. That's what I probably need. My thoughts were more along the lines that programs like Word and Netscape made do a bad job of writing pages. I remember the OW guys complaining that some web sites concoct their own rules so that the pages load properly and fast with IE, but as a result really screw over other browsers such as OW. My allegence is with OW and could give a damn whether IE can work well with any pages I make.

Thanks again,

Neil

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2001, 06:26 PM

I'd use vi as an editor, because once you've learnt to use vi, you can use anything Actually knowledge of vi is quite important if the Gui crashes etc, because vi will still run even if nothing else does and you have to go and fight your way thru some config files.

------------------
#ex-dotcom#
#job anyone?#
weird wabbit

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2001, 06:04 AM

Neil,

You must set them up yourself (manually) unless you use something like Userland Frontier (which has a bit of a steep learning curve but once done makes it a breeze to maintain huge websites).

I'd suggest that you play with BBEdit for a while, put off learning other things while you explore web page creation. PeachPit Press's HTML 4 QuickStart Guide is priceless. Check it out.

Hope this helps,

------------------
Since EBCDIC
Make every post count!
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2001, 01:47 AM

Here are a couple articles.
http://www.macwrite.com/osx/webserver-part-II.php http://www.macwrite.com/osx/webserver-part-III.php

the first is Apache instal and the second is apache and php.

I haven't done a apache/php/mysql yet cuase I can't find a simple way to install it (with the proper user running).

I like simplicity.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

sharumpe
Jun 4, 2001, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by Millennium
:
<STRONG>If Apache is going to really take off, it needs a decent GUI configuration tool. Unfortunately, Apple has only seen fit to include theirs in OSX Server (a critical mistake, in my opinion). I don't know if Webmin works right with Apache on OSX yet, though I see no reason why it shouldn't.

That's the major thing about Apache: configuration is tough. I've been using Unix for several years now, and the thought of going anywhere near Apache's config files still gives me the creeps. I won't deny that Apache is the best out there, but if the average user is going to adopt it, then it needs to be accessible to the average user. And the current system of config files just doesn't cut it where that is concerned.</STRONG>
Apache is the server that runs more than 60% of the servers that are on the Internet right now, so it's already reached cruising altitude.

I think that tools such as Apple's (with OS X Server) are great to give the 'average' user access to Apache's configuration. There are some things that everyone needs to be able to customize that it makes sense to provide easy access to.

That being said, the current system of config files is very powerful. You can separate the contents into as many different files as you like. You can include perl sections that can dynamically configure your server with information from a database (with mod_perl).

These things are great, and, though I think maybe an XML format would be an improvement, I don't think that a GUI is necessarily a shoe-in for success.

Mr. Sharumpe

graphixmaker
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2001, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by Millennium
:
<STRONG>If Apache is going to really take off, it needs a decent GUI configuration tool. Unfortunately, Apple has only seen fit to include theirs in OSX Server (a critical mistake, in my opinion). I don't know if Webmin works right with Apache on OSX yet, though I see no reason why it shouldn't.

That's the major thing about Apache: configuration is tough. I've been using Unix for several years now, and the thought of going anywhere near Apache's config files still gives me the creeps. I won't deny that Apache is the best out there, but if the average user is going to adopt it, then it needs to be accessible to the average user. And the current system of config files just doesn't cut it where that is concerned.</STRONG>
I don't know if anyone has tried it, but you can download Webmin for free here. I would like to install it and try it out but my web sharing won't work. My install kinda messed up and I need to try it again to get it working. Anyway I thought some people may want to try it out because it looks like it could be kinda useful.

Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules