Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > DVD media identification

DVD media identification
WMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 01:11 PM

Major bump...I have a 12" Powerbook with SD, and today I got this Verbatim 4x DVD+R that burns at 4x like it should. Unfortunately, I forgot to note the code from DVD Inspector until after burning... is there another way to tell what this is exactly?

It says Reorder #94472 on the barcode.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 30, 2005, 02:21 PM

I separated this post from the very old thread it resurrected. And now, moving to Peripherals, since it's not really a PowerBook question anyway!

tooki

WMD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 03:51 PM

Erm...I was on topic there. The posters were keeping track of what blank DVD types worked with the Powerbook Superdrive. I was adding an entry. And, since the problem with said drives still isn't fixed, I request this to be re-merged.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 30, 2005, 05:58 PM

I didn't see an entry to the thread in your post, I see a request for help on identifying media.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005, 06:57 PM

I'm confused. Is this a situation where DVD Inspector isn't helping out, or a situation where the specific media that a specific drive supports is in question?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

WMD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 08:17 PM

No, I know the media works properly (only a few do in these drives), but I forgot to check to see what the code was. I know what the label says and what the Reorder code, so perhaps someone else has seen one like it and knows what the DVD Inspector code is? I have saved the list of supported codes from earlier in the thread...you really have to read through that to see where I'm going.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 30, 2005, 08:45 PM

If you don't have any samples of the media to test (I don't know whether already-burned discs can be inspected for the code), then you have no way of ever finding out, because the manufacturers frequently package differently-sourced product under the same item number and UPC code.

tooki

vinster
Senior User
Dec 1, 2005, 02:08 AM

You should still be able to see the media code with that DVD inspector app after burning. Give it a try and let us know what you find.

WMD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 12:18 PM

Nope, just tried it again. The top section says it recognizes the disc, but the drop-down menu is disabled, and the bottom section is blank.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 2, 2005, 01:07 PM

Then there's no hope of positively identifying the media, since it's entirely possible that some other media is now being sold under the same product SKU.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules