Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Looking for a good wireless router that works with bittorrent

Looking for a good wireless router that works with bittorrent
finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2005, 04:43 AM

I need a wireless router (mostly for the firewall function) but I need it to be able to work with bittorrent which the Apple Airports will not do (constant NAT errors even when you open the required ports in the firewall prefs).
I was looking at this onehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...168557-7737258 but am really looking for your suggestions. I have had great experience with products that have been recommended in this forum.
Thanks in advance...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2005, 10:21 AM

I have an Apple AirPort Extreme base and I've not had any problems with bittorrents (downloading at least).

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2005, 01:56 PM

In azureus with either the airport express or extreme (I have had both) there is a constant NAT error which makes it difficult for peers to get stuff of me which then lowers my download speeds. If i plug straight into the modem witha a ethernet cable, I get no such problems.
The apple airports are mentioned in the azureus help section as problematic with no work around as yet. Thats why I need something else!!

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2005, 02:49 PM

I use a Dlink router, and I've never had a problem. Then again, I just start the downloads and then let them run however long it takes. I never gave it a thought as to NAT errors or anything else slowing me down. Should these torrents be blazing?

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2005, 03:46 PM

Yep. They are ones like the Tonight Show that normally fly down when I am wired straight to modem (<20mins!) but can take over a day with airport!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 18, 2005, 04:59 PM

This goes in NETWORKING. Please read the header for a forum before you post in it; the Peripherals forum header is very clear about networking issues going in the Networking forum.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2005, 05:46 PM

With all due respect, I initially was looking for advice on buying a peripheral i.e. a router!!

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2005, 06:53 PM

Sorry to take the thread off topic. My bad. So which router works, then? And what can one do wit the router one has to get by the problem?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 18, 2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by finknottle
With all due respect, I initially was looking for advice on buying a peripheral i.e. a router!!
As clearly explained in the forum listing, networking has its own forum. Routers are networking gear, and so this goes in networking.

The forum listing says:
Peripherals
Discussion and support of all that other hardware that didn't come inside your computer. Networking topics (including AirPort and other 802.11 wireless) have their own forum below. iPod has its own forum.
(The red highlighting is present in the real message, not just added here.)

tooki

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2005, 08:03 PM

I'm sorry if I put you to any bother

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 20, 2005, 08:43 PM

No, we just try to get people to post in the right place!

Did you choose a router yet?

I currently use a Linksys WRT54G, and as far as I can tell, downloads in Acquisition come in pretty quickly, provided enough sources are available.

tooki

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2005, 01:21 PM

I've got a NetGear WGR614. It's great, and it was ~$30 at bestbuy.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2005, 02:12 AM

i have the belkin pre n router, no problems with bittorrent, and i connect at 50mbs all the time

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2005, 01:29 PM

The deal with routers, wireless and wired, and how they handle such things as BitTorrent is whether or not they'll let you open the appropriate ports so the torrents/streams/bitstorms/whatever can pass. Most boxes do this, but some are easier to manage and handle more specifically open ports than others. What you need to do to decide which one to buy is find out how many ports in what range you need to open, and then check out the specs for the boxes in your price range.

Keep in mind that BitTorrent clients soak up a lot of resources; your computer could slow WAY down because of all the in and outbound connections. I recommend keeping your client off except when you're not actively using the computer. Also be aware that the malware bad guys have decided that torrents are great for spreading viruses and trojans to the Windows world-and they really don't care if that hoses up the actual content of whatever it is they infect. Be careful with what you choose to download, because you'll be hosting it too.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2005, 04:13 PM

I also have never had a problem with my Airport routers. In fact they work much better than my old LinkSys or Netgear.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2005, 06:33 PM

I have only two issues with Apple's AirPort devices: they're physically limited (only a max of two ethernet ports, and you have to use one as the connection to your broadband modem), and they're expensive. But they are generally simpler to set up than any other brand's equipment, so there's a tradeoff to consider.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 25, 2005, 01:50 PM

Yeah, but they also have proven to be more reliable than the junk most vendors purvey. I have vowed that if this Linksys goes, I capitulate, and will get Apple gear instead. Either that, or some used commercial-grade Cisco or Lucent gear.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 25, 2005, 02:03 PM

You're right about basic reliability, tooki. But I've apparently been very lucky with non-Apple equipment. The only Linksys box that's failed on me did so by jumping off a four or five foot high shelf. Apparently there are a LOT of people with much poorer luck than me.

But as a poor college student (again), I have to go with what I can afford. It would be nice, though, if the various companies built for quality instead of volume... Telling folks "it looks like your router is toast. Again." is no fun.

Forum Links
Forum Rules