Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mac financing

Mac financing
ooagentbender
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2005, 02:12 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has done the by the month payment for a mac and what their experience with it has been. I am a bit confused about what the deal is. Are you paying interest, or are you paying those payments until the computer is payed off, or otherwise.

thanks all

happy holidays.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2005, 05:30 AM

One bit of advice?

If you have to buy a Mac on credit or time don't do it.

Seriously.

Just lower your standards and get a Mac that you can buy outright so that it is paid off from the beginning. I have the ability to buy a brand new Mac (or Macs) but I actually buy open-box items or used items. Bought my son a used iBook today for a holiday gift and I am smug knowing how much money I saved. I'm loading software on it right now so it will be good to go this weekend. I get more satisfaction out of a good deal than joy at having a brand new expensive item.

But, to answer your question, some companies have deferred payment or interest plans which means that you do not have to make any payments and/or interest up until a certain point, but if you don't, you'll get your butt kicked on the due date because all of the interest accrues and is due all at once.

Good luck.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2005, 07:35 AM

There are deals that are fine indeed. From time to time, Apple has a 0%-finacing offer, where you just divide the item price by ten and pay off over ten months. I think this is a very good deal, and I'd be happy to draw on this opportunity,

micahgartman
Dec 22, 2005, 09:47 AM

From store.apple.com:

1. The credit card for the Apple Credit Account is available to qualified U.S. residents from Juniper Bank or Direct Merchants Credit Card Bank, N.A.® The rates, fees, and costs of the Juniper and Direct Merchants Bank offers differ. See terms and conditions for more information.

2. The up to 90 days same-as-cash financing offer applies to purchases made today. Minimum payments are required. Please see terms and conditions for additional information including the allocation of payments, the calculation of interest on the expiration of the same-as-cash period if the balance is not paid in full, the APR effective after the same-as-cash period, the APR for Balance Transfers and Convenience Checks, the APR for Cash Advances, and the APR if your payment is received late, you exceed your credit line, or your payment is not honored by a bank.

3. Your initial APR for purchases will be set between 12.74% variable and 21.74% variable based on your creditworthiness. The APR is not guaranteed and may change. See terms and conditions for more information on other APRs.
That's kinda steep, dontcha think?
mg

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by micahgartman
From store.apple.com:

That's kinda steep, dontcha think?
mg

I don't think too many people qualify for the low end either. My credit is excellent and a while back I saw a deal similar to this, so I started the ball rolling and they said I was qualified for the 20% rate. Initially when I was doing this the low end rate was lower then my credit card.

First I didn't do this, no way am I willing to pay 20%. Secondly, I didn't put it on my other credit card. I'm trying (keyword here is trying) to live by the philosphy, if I don't have the cash to buy something then I won't get it. While I cheated on this in the past, I have twins arriving and we need to be extra careful with our funds. Debt is bad, and its so easy to become crushing debt.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2005, 11:19 AM

The 0% is very enticing. Not sure about the new interest that Apple is using. The prior one was MBNA and they set it up so that I still ended up still paying interest. Prefer to us my own financing.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2005, 12:03 PM

Most companies that offer the 0% financing accrue the interest so that if you don't pay it off in full by the time the offer ends, then you get hit with the fullly accrued interest. This deal really only works if you plan on paying off the bet before the deal expires.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules