Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dead iBook... Hard drive?

Dead iBook... Hard drive?
beazer4444
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 12:56 AM

Hey you Mac Gurus,

Recently my iBook G3 died, which everyone tells me is becuase of it's logic board went out. Ugh. $700 to fix it, so instead i bought a brand-spanking new MacBook (she is uber beautiful). Anyways, I'm already low on Hard drive space, so I was hoping that perhaps I could salvage the iBooks HD and convert it into some type of external one.

Any advice?

I can boot up the iBook while holding the "T" key to run her as a external drive, but I don't want to lug around two computers just to use one as a drive.

So my freinds, let your wealth of knowledge spill upon me. And if you need any spare iBook parts... give me a jingle.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2006, 03:10 AM

You might be able to find an external enclousure that would allow you to hook up your hard drive to the enclosure, and then hook up the enclosure to your MacBook through USB or FW.

I know this is possible with regular hard drives, not sure about laptop ones.

Best of luck,

Chris
This signature is obsolete.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 08:27 AM

I have pulled a laptop hard drive and used it with an external drive enclosure. It is not too hard, expecially if you don't care about the iBook when you are done with it. I got the enclosure on eBay for like 10 bucks with shipping.

Fixit Guide - Fixit Guide Series - Apple MacBook, iBook, PowerBook Parts & Repair

That is a list of good guides on how to take Apple laptops apart (and put that back together).

Tigerdirect drive enclosures

That is TigerDirect's list of 2.5" enclosures. The cheapest one is $7.99.

Forum Links
Forum Rules