Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > question for Seagate Momentus 120gb SATA owners

question for Seagate Momentus 120gb SATA owners
uicandrew
Senior User
Oct 10, 2006, 10:35 PM

For those of you who purchased this from a 3rd party vendor (ie - anyone but apple), does your hard drive say "This drive is manufactured by Seagate for OEM distribution. For product information or technical support, please contact your system oem."

i purchased a 120gb hard drive (supposedly retail) from an internet vendor. the box is a plain cardboard box without retail packaging on it, and the hard drive has the above statement on it.

BUT, on seagate's website, when i put in the serial number and the part # (st9120821as) the warranty was listed as being 5 years long.

OEM drives have zero warranty. Retail drives have a 5 year warranty.

2 conflicting points:
1. i bought a different 120gb seagate momentus sata drive before, and it was listed on Seagate's website as having no warranty, according to the serial number and part number i put in.
2. Maximum PC had an editorial about retail seagate drives (from best buy and circuit city) having the "this is an oem" message on the hard drive, despite the obvious retail packaging.

what are your guys thoughts?
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

expergo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2006, 07:42 PM

i think most oem hd's have 5-yr warranty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules