Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook G4 reinstall help

Powerbook G4 reinstall help
knoxlogic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 07:21 PM

I have a Powerbook G4 that was givin to me. The admin before me did not tell me the password and I can not get intouch with her. I do however have the disks. I read some forums before here and followed instructions, 1. - I placed in drive and restart and held down "C" and nothing popped up (was told the install window would). I was told to start MACOSX and click the drive and click restart, and it will install. BUT when I click Restart, it asks for the Admin USER and PASSWORD? Can anyone help?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2006, 07:41 PM

What happens if you restart it and hold down the "Alt" key?

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 6, 2006, 07:42 PM

You need to startup your PowerBook with the system restore disk.

To do this you put the disk in the drive and start the computer while holding down the "C" key. (If that doesnt work, try starting while holding down the option key, that should allow you to choose the restore disk for startup.)

Once it starts up from the restore disk, look in one of the menus and you will see an option for reset password. That will allow you access to the system already installed.

If you just prefer to erase the hard drive and reinstall the system and other software afresh, as it was originally shipped, once you start up from the restore disk, use disk utility (again its an option in one of the menus) to format the hard drive. Then use the installer (double click on the restore disk icon to find it) to reinstall the system.
( Last edited by rjt1000; Dec 6, 2006 at 07:49 PM. )

knoxlogic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 07:45 PM

I have Disk 1, 2, 3, and I have a Tools CD? Which one the Restore CD?

knoxlogic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 07:49 PM

I put in Disk 1, and restarted and help "ALT" It popped up either hardrive or install Disk 1. I choose INSTALL DISK 1. and them the CD spun and it popped up with an "ERROR" logo.

AND THATS IT! NOW WHAT?

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 6, 2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by knoxlogic View Post
I put in Disk 1, and restarted and help "ALT" It popped up either hardrive or install Disk 1. I choose INSTALL DISK 1. and them the CD spun and it popped up with an "ERROR" logo.
AND THATS IT! NOW WHAT?
Mac computers come with a system restore disk. Alternatively there are system install disks that you can buy.

Are you sure that the disk set you have is the restore disks that came with the computer? What does it say on the label? What model PowerBook do you have?

If the installation disk you have has a system that predates the PowerBook, it won't start up. Also if you use a restore disk that came with a different computer, it won't allow you to restore the system to your computer.

You may need to look for the original restore disk that came with your PowerBook (on eBay) or for a retail copy of OS X system installation that was made after your PowerBook was released.

knoxlogic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 08:10 PM

My Model is Powerbook5,6 Machine is Powerbook G4 and running MACOSX 10.4.2

I have Mac OSX Panther 10.3 Install Disc 1, 2, 3

I do not have anything with this just Laptop, Power cord, and thats it. My friend lent me his Install discs to use.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 08:27 PM

My Model is Powerbook5,6 Machine is Powerbook G4 and running MACOSX 10.4.2

I have Mac OSX Panther 10.3 Install Disc 1, 2, 3

I do not have anything with this just Laptop, Power cord, and thats it. My friend lent me his Install discs to use.

Install disks are for 10.3 you will have to erase and install and you will lose tiger and all that is on PB. If you bought it get password from the "friend". If its stolen, please return it.

knoxlogic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 08:35 PM

It is not STOLEN! but thanks for your concern. So far I am starting to remember why MAC sucks! - My friend has a mac also, and he lent me his install discs that came with his computer. I have a Powerbook G4. There are 2 users on it. me and an ADMIN user. I do not know the ADMIN's password. I am trying to reload the software so I can freakin use this machine. Windows will allow you reinstall ANYTHING you want. This stupid thing wil not. All i want to do is start over on it, so I can use it.

Can anyone Help me? And if I have "Tiger" why will it not install "Panther" I do not understand this!?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 08:41 PM

It is not STOLEN! but thanks for your concern. So far I am starting to remember why MAC sucks! - My friend has a mac also, and he lent me his install discs that came with his computer. I have a Powerbook G4. There are 2 users on it. me and an ADMIN user. I do not know the ADMIN's password. I am trying to reload the software so I can freakin use this machine. Windows will allow you reinstall ANYTHING you want. This stupid thing wil not. All i want to do is start over on it, so I can use it.

Can anyone Help me? And if I have "Tiger" why will it not install "Panther" I do not understand this!?

Tiger is newer than Panther, and the reason for the password is a small security method, that Amin password is the reason Macs don't suck and are more secure! If you are legit, call and get password or buy a new copy of Tiger and install with a new password!

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 6, 2006, 08:49 PM

It is not STOLEN! but thanks for your concern. So far I am starting to remember why MAC sucks!
You can prove it is not stolen by posting the serial number of the laptop. Then it can be checked on databases of stolen laptops. If you are the legitimate owner, that should be no problem, and folks here will be happy to help you out.

Also, I might point out, you'd be more likely to get help if you don't tell the Mac folks here that Mac's suck.
( Last edited by rjt1000; Dec 6, 2006 at 08:55 PM. )

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 09:01 PM

I hope the owner installed Undercover!
http://orbicule.com/undercover/

It causes Powerbooks to call home and identify internal and external ip address. If user stole PB and has been trying to turn on ......

Forum Links
Forum Rules