Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Unable to boot mac after installing Boot Camp

Unable to boot mac after installing Boot Camp
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2006, 04:09 PM

I posted an earlier question about Boot Camp and fortunately got the help to fix it. Well now I went in to set up bootcamp. It rebooted my computer then to start a install of Windows XP Pro w/ SP2. Of course it asked to format the drive and I did do that with NTFS and made sure it was the new partition I created which was 28 gigs. Well for some reason during this my screen went black like my computer was not on. I had it plugged in so unless something was loose I'm sure the power didn't go dead.
Well now when I turn it on it gets to a grey screen with no writing, then a black screen, and simply says "Press any key to boot from CD" and I don't press anything and then it says "Missing operating system" I have tried pressing a key as well with no luck. The thing is even with the CD eject button I'm unable to remove the CD (windows xp) which is in the computer and what scares me is I can't even get into the Mac side. I'm completely locked out and have no idea what to do. Any suggestions? Would boot camp have somehow wiped my entire hard drive including the mac side?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 26, 2006, 05:45 PM

When you here the boot chime, hold down the alt key and then when the selector comes up, select OS X.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 26, 2006, 09:14 PM

"Press any key to boot from CD" is a Windows installation prompt. If you're seeing it like you say, it means that something did not go quite right during your Windows install and you should start it over.

As seanc says, hold the alt key when you hear the chime and then choose OS X when you can. This will take you back to OS X and you can use the Boot Camp Assistant to drop back a bit and regroup. I think deleting that partition and starting over is the best choice, as you don't know what goofed up this last time. Removing and then remaking that partition will start you out without any "baggage."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules