Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Mac Pro coming up?

New Mac Pro coming up?
shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2007, 04:03 PM

I'm considering buying a Mac Pro and leaving my current PC... came across this though: Mac Pro Buyer's Guide - Mac Guides

Is there a rough guess when the next Mac Pro will be out? Would it make sense they'll release it at the same time as Leopard?

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 10, 2007, 04:21 PM

I keep reading that a new Mac Pro range will be ready for NAB2007. You got a three month wait. Time passes quickly.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2007, 05:05 PM

Overdue for an upgrade... new CPUs and new GPUs are a sure thing, and probably memory and disk bumps too (2 or 4GB and 500GB seems likely).

normang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2007, 08:08 PM

Apple is somewhat unpredicatable. They've managed to virtually keep the iPhone off the map until Macworld, and while faster or more core processors are always a possiblity, and It would be nice to get a new Mac with Leopard installed, or at least getting for free or reduce cost shortly thereafter. But if you are shopping for a new computer now, even the base config is no speed slouch.. So either be patient, see what happens, or go for the gusto now..
I've updated my site, Drop On by the *New*
Macinfo.com

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2007, 08:21 PM

They really are overdue. Most folks who keep a close eye on Apple expected a tower refresh in January. Still, the current model is certainly no slouch -- it'll be a fast machine for years to come.

Edit: normang has a point about waiting for 10.5 -- it'll save you probably 139.00 if you get it preinstalled.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Peterson View Post
I keep reading that a new Mac Pro range will be ready for NAB2007. You got a three month wait.
NAB is in 5 weeks, not three months. Apple has an announcement event scheduled April 15. There is a very, very high probability that new Mac Pros will be announced, and release of OS X.5 is likely also.

-Allen Wicks

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2007, 11:00 PM

I could wait 5 weeks really...it would be available to purchase soon after they announce it? Or would I still have to wait until like the summer, most likely?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2007, 11:03 PM

Apple usually has computer refreshes stocked in its stores the same day of the announcement.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

normang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2007, 11:46 PM

If the reports about the status of current beta's are somewhat accurate (still needs work), Leopard could potentially be at WWDC in June.. However, when Apple makes an official announcement, we'll all know of course.. Hardware refreshes could be at the April 15th event being discussed...
Macinfo.com

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2007, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by shinji View Post
I could wait 5 weeks really...it would be available to purchase soon after they announce it? Or would I still have to wait until like the summer, most likely?
The CPUs are readily available, the only component they may run into trouble with is the new graphics card. There's not lack of the newer cards on the PC side, but the Mac cards are often delayed (like the X1900 was) because they need different firmwares.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 11, 2007, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
NAB is in 5 weeks, not three months. Apple has an announcement event scheduled April 15.
-Allen Wicks
I meant to ship in June.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 06:17 PM

Apparently, when you search for "Mac" on a European Apple Store site, you see this:

Kinda makes me think 8-core Mac Pros will be here sooner than April.

normang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 07:08 PM

I find it hard to believe that an Apple Euro site would be listing a product they have not officially announced.

Interestingly, all Euro Stores appear to have offline notices at the moment...
Macinfo.com

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by normang View Post
I find it hard to believe that an Apple Euro site would be listing a product they have not officially announced.
Uhh, it's happened many times in the past so why not?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by normang View Post

Interestingly, all Euro Stores appear to have offline notices at the moment...
Well, after reading some of the MacRumors.com thread, I went to the UK store and tried such a search and saw the same results with my own eyes..

And, like CheesePuff mentioned, there have been accidental leaks on Apple Store sites before, the original PMG5 specs being the first example that comes to mind..

normang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 08:28 PM

I hitting some sort of road block it seems, when I try and visit a Euro site, I get the "We'll be back soon" logo.. Probably need a different link..

If Apple doesn't intend to announce the Quad-Core Mac Pro for another month, this seems to be a real screw up on their part.
Macinfo.com

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2007, 03:44 AM

Apple removed it.

So I guess we're getting new Mac Pros today.

What specs do you expect? For the quad core models will Apple stick with dual Woodcrests or will they switch to a single Clovertown? Will there be a cheaper 'Yikes' model? Will they finally add eSATA? And will there be an BD or HD-DVD BTO option?

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2007, 03:54 AM

I don't personally need 8 cores, I really just wanted a better graphics card and possibly more RAM in the model one less than the most expensive one. And I guess they're not redoing the case, judging by that pic?

Forum Links
Forum Rules