Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Should Macs first boot with a newbie user-guide?

Should Macs first boot with a newbie user-guide?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2007, 02:31 AM

I think it would be very helpful to new computer users, or even switchers, if the first time you booted up a Mac it would have some kind of tutorial. Before it started you could easily click "Ignore" and it would never bother you again with tips if you happen to be an experience Mac user or otherwise.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2007, 02:41 AM

Back in the day they used to have that. I can even remember in System 5 or so there was a tour that would explain to people how to click, double-click, and drag items with the mouse.

I think it would be a good idea to have a dialog come up after OS X is installed asking people if they are new to the Mac and would like to take a tour. They could also explicitly say that people can do the tour later on by going to the Help menu and selecting the New to Mac Tour or whatever they'd call it.

There are a couple of things that should be mentioned to newcomers. Right-clicking, the help menu, the close/maximize/minimize and toolbar buttons (and how maximize button doesn't just senselessly fill up your screen), and battery calibration are just a few things that come to mind. Maybe they should also have a special switcher tour that emphasizes things that are different on a Mac compared to Windows and shows how the most important things are done on a Mac.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2007, 02:50 AM

Disagree.

Is it too much to ask that when someone buys a +/- $1,000 machine, that they spend another $19 to buy a book if they need it? Whenever gifting a Mac, I insist that the new owner first buy a "For Dummies" or "Missing Manual" -type book.

The whole world is now dumbed down for the lowest common denominator. Let's not dumb down our computers, too.

(I know this is a harsh stance).
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2007, 03:34 AM

Yes. The tutorial that was included with early Macs was very clever and useful for people experiencing it for the first time. I learned how to use it that way when I was 2 years old.

And yes, I do think it is too much to ask that somebody buy a completely separate book just to use their several-thousand-dollar machine. Most things in that price range include at least a pretty decent manual. They shouldn't have to buy a "Missing Manual."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2007, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ChuckIt
And yes, I do think it is too much to ask that somebody buy a completely separate book just to use their several-thousand-dollar machine. Most things in that price range include at least a pretty decent manual. They shouldn't have to buy a "Missing Manual."
Well said.
Linkinus is king.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2007, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Well said.
Indeed
Signature depreciated.

allblue
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2007, 08:41 AM

I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread - I just don't understand why there isn't some form of manual that comes with the computer. You wouldn't expect to buy a car, a TV, a VCR even an electric kettle without an operating manual, so why should computers, which are more technically demanding than the other examples, be different? To force a customer to spend more money for a third party manual on top of the hundreds or thousands spent on the machine, just to be able to operate it, is frankly ridiculous.

This is particularly galling in the case of Apple I feel, because you just know with their creative genius and all round good taste they could produce something very classy indeed, and in terms of the size of the corporation, at very little expense. All they would have to do is produce a DVD that ships with every new Mac, their customers would get a better user experience, and it would be another feather in the Cupertino cap.

I've been using Macs for nearly ten years now, since 8.6, and although I wouldn't describe myself as a 'power user', I do use my iMac quite hard every day, and yet am still finding out little bits and pieces here and there which help me on my way. A recent example: I only found out a few days ago that in Finder you can navigate up and down the file tree by pressing command then either the 'up' or 'down' cursor key. I probably could have saved myself about ten hours a year if I'd known that before...
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Apr 30, 2007, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
Disagree.

Is it too much to ask that when someone buys a +/- $1,000 machine, that they spend another $19 to buy a book if they need it? Whenever gifting a Mac, I insist that the new owner first buy a "For Dummies" or "Missing Manual" -type book.

The whole world is now dumbed down for the lowest common denominator. Let's not dumb down our computers, too.

(I know this is a harsh stance).
It's not a question of "dumbing down" the computer; the functionality is unchanged, but there is guidance on HOW to do something. "Dumbing down" would be removing functionality to make the system simpler.

And yes, it IS asking too much--I already spent a boatload of cash on my computer, it SHOULD come with a good manual. And Macs do, in a sense; an interactive manual, called the "Help" menu. Not perfect, and some prefer something in print, but I think it gets underused by a lot of users (myself included).

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2007, 09:26 AM

Is it too much to ask that when someone buys a +/- $1,000 machine, that they spend another $19 to buy a book if they need it?
Yes, that's too much to ask. Seriously. When someone buys a ⁺⁄₋ $1,000 machine that thing should come with an appropriate user manual. And since it's a multi-media capable computer it suggests itself that that includes an interactive tutorial. Something less boring than the HTML-help (which includes all the needed information, but produced in a way that nobody wants to look at it if it can be avoided).

dagamer34
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2007, 01:42 PM

Uhh, they come with a user guide for using OSX. I just got one and found it in my Home folder.
15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HDD | 128MB X1600 GPU

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2007, 01:50 PM

Is it too much to ask that when someone buys a +/- $1,000 machine, that they spend another $19 to buy a book if they need it? .
Yes it is too much to ask, if I'm paying a premium for a system, I expect to receive premium things in return.

Funny thing, is Adobe should think about this too. I bought CS3 but the user manuals were not included. I had the option of purchasing them in pdf format for 25 bucks - Jeez I spend a log of money for this suite and the couldn't even supply the users guides? [/rant]
Michael

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 1, 2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by dagamer34
Uhh, they come with a user guide for using OSX. I just got one and found it in my Home folder.
And the paper pamphlet/guide to OS X, too.

I guess Apple should spring for classes for us all, too. After all, we did pay a premium for our Macs. They should send someone to our home to show us how to get the most out of 'em.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
May 1, 2007, 12:18 AM

It's a guide, not a manual. There's a difference.
Linkinus is king.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
May 1, 2007, 12:34 AM

Yes I agree too. The old guide (pre-OS 9?) was much better, for example the way it would circle relevant controls with red circles and whatnot. You'd think with all the technology in OS X they could something like that very easily. They do seem to be having this new style help menu in Leopard, but I think that's not enough. There needs to be a guide on startup, particularly covering crucial things like installing from a disk image (which can confuse even capable users the first time).

This is the red circle I mentioned:

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2007, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
...There needs to be a guide on startup, particularly covering crucial things like installing from a disk image (which can confuse even capable users the first time).
Excellent point. The DMG concept seems to confuse many newcomers. This would be another issue Apple could explain either in a real written manual or in a tour.

And for those here worried about dumbing it down, it's a moot point. Nobody would be forced to read or see anything they don't want. It's all about offering options for people who feel they need it. Since these days there are so many people new to OS X I can't see how this is a bad thing. Judging by all the switcher questions on this board and in my personal experience (lots of switchers where I work) there are indeed quite a few things that need to be explained.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 1, 2007, 08:06 AM

Apple does offer video guides on how to use OS X already... except you have to be a .Mac subscriber to view them. It wouldn't require them to do any extra work as they already have them prepared. They should just ship them with the OS instead.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 1, 2007, 08:10 AM

I guess Apple should spring for classes for us all, too. After all, we did pay a premium for our Macs. They should send someone to our home to show us how to get the most out of 'em.
No but why should I spend between 20 and 40 bucks on a "missing" manual when after spending 1,500 to > 3,000 dollars and not get one.
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules