Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook issues (getting old I think)

PowerBook issues (getting old I think)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2007, 08:48 PM

I've been noticing some issues with the family PowerBook. First of all is Bluetooth. The PowerBook had it factory installed (it was an option back then, ya know, before all this new-fangled stuff was standard). Today I noticed that the icon in the menu bar has a line through it. When I click on it it says "Bluetooth: Not Available". The wierd thing is I had it on last night. It doesn't show up under System Profiler or System Preferences either although it does on Internet Connect (which I opened today for the first time since Jaguar). I reinstalled 10.4.9 to make sure that it wasn't a software issue. So, what's wrong? Is there anyway I can get it to work? It's the only way that I can transfer photos from my phone to the computer and it's the only computer that I have access to with Bluetooth. Second is the menu bar. It's been odd sometimes. It won't always load. You'll only see the Apple, Finder, and Spotlight. When you move the cursor up to the menu bar you get the Beach Ball of Utter Doom and Endless Destruction Which Brings the Apocalypse. I've reinstalled 10.4.9 multiple times without avail (including an entire erase and install). The last issue is the fans. It's fine when it's not hooked up to an external display. But as soon as I hook it up to an external display the fans come on at a low RPM. Not too loudly, but fan noise annoys me. Any fixes for this? Thanks for all the help guys!

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2007, 11:17 PM

Okay looks like Bluetooth decided to come on all of the sudden. It's working fine. Who knows what happened. Glad it's working though.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2007, 06:36 AM

12" PBs are notorious for making noise with external displays hooked up, mine used to do it.

The issues you're having with Tiger could be a failing hard drive and the bluetooth issue could be a loose connection or just a random glitch.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2007, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the reply Sean. It wouldn't surprise me if the HD died. Silly thing's been all over the world including Iraq and Afghanistan. I will try booting off of my latest backup on my external HD for a while and see if that problem persists.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2007, 04:29 PM

Have you zapped the PRAM and or reset the power manager?

link

Forum Links
Forum Rules