Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > setting Mic for ViaVoice on 10.2

setting Mic for ViaVoice on 10.2
HATTIE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2007, 10:47 AM

I am trying to set up ViaVoice on a 10.2 Mac and can not get the Mic to work so can not complete the assistant setup. The mic is working.. I have tested that.. I do not know how to use a USB mic. Can you help with this? THANKS.. HATTIE..

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2007, 04:44 PM

Are you saying that you are using the internal microphone or a USB mic?

Some sound applications have their own settings for selecting the input device. Check the preferences for that application then look in System Preferences->Sound and then look at the "input" tab to select the input sound device.

If you are using an external microphone, you might need a USB sound driver or a microphone preamp because many Mac laptops have a "line in" port, not a "mic in" port. Either way check System Preferences->Sound and then look at the "input" tab to select the input sound device.

HATTIE  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2007, 05:26 PM

I Am Using The Andrea Mic (usb) That Came With The Viavoice Program... According To Some Infor I Am Getting It Is The Only Mic That Will Work With Viavoice...

I have a mic input but this is a USB Mic so that is not being used .. or is that an issue..... on my other machine... 10.4 the mic works off a USB port. I need to get the 10.2 machine to recongnize the USB mic....

...many thanks.
( Last edited by HATTIE; May 28, 2007 at 05:39 PM. Reason: NEEDED MORE INFORMATION TO ANSWER THE QUESTION)

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2007, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by HATTIE View Post
I Am Using The Andrea Mic (usb) That Came With The Viavoice Program... According To Some Infor I Am Getting It Is The Only Mic That Will Work With Viavoice...

I have a mic input but this is a USB Mic so that is not being used .. or is that an issue..... on my other machine... 10.4 the mic works off a USB port. I need to get the 10.2 machine to recongnize the USB mic....
OK, it sounds like the mic goes straight into the computer via UAB as opposed to going into a USB audio device that goes to your computer. You need to install drivers to get this to work. I checked the Andrea web site and did not find any download for drivers, so use the install disk that came with it.

After you install the driver, look in System Preferences (which is in the Applications folder) and then click on the Sound button, and then click on the Input tab. You should see an entry for the USB device, so click on that to use it. If you don't see an entry for the USB mic, then there is a problem. Try rebooting once after the install. If you still don't see it as an input device, then you are in trouble. Are there batteries involved?

I do not have the NC-7100 mic, but there might also be a configuration option in System Preferences after you install the driver. Click the "Show All" button on the top of the System Preferences pane and see if any of the buttons are related to your new mic.

The microphone is not too fancy, but it appears to have some noise reduction that amounts to a 20db reduction in base (so it is good for voice recognition but not other applications). If you are stuck, you could try to use the built-in mic, but the speach recognition might be confused by extraneous sounds.

HATTIE  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2007, 11:24 AM

This was very helpful.. now my question is you said use the "install disk that came with it" ... this mic was in the box with ViaVoice software and had no other information other than a small card with instructions on how to locate the manufacture. Should the ViaVoice install disk have the driver for the mic?
No batteries...
This software is made to match 10.2 so they are aware of the machine I am using. Again the mic works on 10.4.

Here is something I found .. Most Macs have LINE inputs not MIC inpiuts. A USB adapter is needed.. (iListen)

could this be the answer?

thanks again... me...
( Last edited by HATTIE; May 29, 2007 at 11:30 AM. )

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by HATTIE View Post
Here is something I found .. Most Macs have LINE inputs not MIC inpiuts. A USB adapter is needed.. (iListen)
I mentioned the "line in" and "mic in" above because I wasn't sure how you were using your mic. If you plug your NC-7100 into the USB port, then the line-in and mic-in ports don't matter.

****> Are you putting the mic directly into a USB port on the computer--it must be a high-powered USB port. The only USB port that would NOT work (that I can think of) is if you are plugging it into a USB port on an external keyboard.

Here are some instructions for a similar mic, perhaps something will help:

http://www.macspeech.com/support/ind...=kb&article=99

HATTIE  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2007, 11:56 AM

I am using the port on the machine in the back... and I am moving in the same direction as you for I found the mic instructions that you sent me just before reading your message.. I am now going to work with ViaVoice to see what they have to say with this (again)... I have just about extended myself trying to get this to working. I did learn a great deal about mics so not a loss but need this to work.. It was suggested I upgrade the system I am on but I bought the program to match 10.2 so that does not sound like the answer to me.

computers can be fun but there are times you feel like this.

thanks....me

Forum Links
Forum Rules