Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Home PC network problem!

Home PC network problem!
grint
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 01:26 PM

My sister lives next door and we were thinking of doing a network. I have a p4 windows XP and she has p3 windows 98. Is it possible to join these 2 computers? If yes how do I let her share my internet. My internet is not using my nic card, its using USB. Please I am expecting clean and perfect reply
( Last edited by grint; Oct 10, 2007 at 03:29 AM. )

TheChemist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 01:57 PM

How far away is she?

Simplest solution is to go wireless, I'm sold to the AEBS after trying dlink and linksys.

I'm pretty sure you can use ICS, and plug her computer to yours using those RJ-45 cables. I've never tried ICS, but i'm thinking that your computer would act as a DHCP server to your sister's computer.

Cold Warrior
Aug 14, 2007, 02:25 PM

Call your ISP and dump your USB modem. Get an ethernet one, hook it up to a wireless router, and enjoy.

How many feet away is her main room of computer usage from your modem's location?

grint  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by TheChemist View Post
How far away is she?

Simplest solution is to go wireless, I'm sold to the AEBS after trying dlink and linksys.

I'm pretty sure you can use ICS, and plug her computer to yours using those RJ-45 cables. I've never tried ICS, but i'm thinking that your computer would act as a DHCP server to your sister's computer.
She is about 6km in distance!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 20, 2007, 10:14 AM

SIX kilometers!?!? Wow...

Yes, there are ways to do this. No, they're not easy, nor inexpensive.

The most effective way is to set up a point-to-point wireless shot. Home equipment is usually not at all up to this-they have very low power radios, and that makes for long distance problems. What you wind up doing is setting up two "wireless bridge" devices with highly directional antennas pointed precisely at each other. Since most home equipment is built to generate around 100milliwatts of radio signal, it's unlikely that there would be enough to get there, even with really good (and expensive) antennas.

You're looking at spending thousands of dollars on bridges and antennas if you really want to go this route. Getting your sister her own Internet connection will definitely cost a lot less.

6km! Wow!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules