Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm in Mexicoooooo!

I'm in Mexicoooooo!
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 04:33 PM

My stomach is upset from a goat milk cappuccino, it feels 200 degrees, and it really doesn't...look like Mexico...

My hotel is surrounded by McDonald's, Popeye's, Wal-Mart, Dominoes, Blockbuster, KFC, Office Depot, and SAM's Club. Of course, all you have to do is travel two blocks in any direction to find "real" Mexico, but it's still kind of weird. They don't even change "Neighborhood Grill & Bar" on the side of Applebee's to "Barra y parrilla de la vecindad" or whatever. And NO ONE speaks English, so it makes even less sense.

This is Tampico, by the way.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2007, 04:47 PM

The VW Beetle all shiny with no rust is the clue!

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 05:03 PM

Drink the water.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 05:05 PM

Wear a condom.

Oh, pastor, forgot.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 05:06 PM

I did...and it's SOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!
I shipped you some, too.
[Reply to Dakar, by the way.]

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Wear a condom.

Oh, pastor, forgot.
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...preacher joke.

I was wondering what took so long.

VoicesInMyHead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 08:09 PM

Yeah, you're right about Avenida Hidalgo, or close to the airport. Northern cities in Mexico are getting very americanized, Monterrey is getting a bit ridiculous in that sense. Try going downtonwn to the main Plaza, next to the old port. You'll be surprised how similar is to New Orleans.
Try eating the "tortas de la barda", in the food market next to the old port, one block away from the Hotel Inglaterra. Just beware, they are absurdly big, but very very good.
If you have time, go to la Huasteca or to Tajin (close to Poza Rica, about 3 hour drive away).
OH and if you can, get some stuffed jaibas (crabs) from El Pollo Marino. Ask a taxi driver, he'll take you. There is one towards Pueblo Viejo, across the river, or one downtown. There is also one right next to the beach, but that's far from where you seem to be staying.
Also, try a "mercedes benz" fish fillet at "El Porvenir", right on Avenida Hidalgo, across from the cemetery. That thing is amazing.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2007, 11:07 AM

Dear god...I wish I'd posted this thread before I left. I'm sitting in George Bush Airport in Houston right now, reading the stuff I should've seen/done.

Oh well...

Thanks for the tips, anyways. If I go back, I'll dig up this thread.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2007, 02:45 PM

Go to a town outside of Cancun sometime if you take another trip down. It's "real" Mexico. I went down there a few years ago and loved every second of it. The people were extremely kind, the pick-up soccer games were INTENSEEEEEE, and it was just a blast.

Sorry you saw an Applebees..that is quite depressing. Looks like the stores lined up on one of my streets here, too. OYE!
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

mindwaves
Aug 6, 2007, 12:33 PM

I just came back from Mexico right near the border from San Diego. It was just a few hours trip walking down the Revolution Blvd and some mall near the area. It was definitely interesting. I know that the area that I went to was a tourist area when everyone sees that you are a foreigner and offers you stuff to buy and invites you to come in the store and to have a look. I was kind of amazed though because at the Mexican version of the Wal-mart (not Wal-mart, but some other brand) that I saw, prices were about the same or even higher than the American version of Wal-mart. it was quite startling to me because how would the locals afford the goods if they have to pay the same or more amount and they make less money than their American counterparts?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2007, 01:13 PM

Mexico looks like Colorado Springs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules