Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook vs. MacBook Pro

MacBook vs. MacBook Pro
ncmason
Nov 10, 2007, 10:03 AM

I just looked at the black MacBook and the MacBook Pro. I still can't decide, as the black MacBook has almost the same exact specs, except a smaller screen, less RAM, little bit smaller processor, and a smaller video card. On my current machine, I'm running Adobe CS3 Premium, iLife '08, MS Office, and iWork '08. I'm not a gamer, so I'm not sure the video card will bother me. But, will the MacBook run those programs just as well as they do on my 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac with 2 GB RAM?

Thanks,
Mason

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2007, 11:38 AM

None of your apps really lean on the video card, so the MB should be fine as long as you don't mind the screen area. The MB has a faster CPU, but the iMac has a faster hard drive, so it's hard to say. The MB should be faster for renders, but the iMac would be faster for scrubbing through video.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2007, 01:26 PM

I would think they would be about the same as far as speed, the MacBook's Core 2 Duo processor solidly beats the iMac's Core Duo. The deficit caused by the slower hard drive wouldn't be a huge difference with the MacBook's faster bus and processor.

ncmason
Nov 10, 2007, 03:24 PM

OK, so my next question which would the best way to go for my needs? The MacBook or the MacBook Pro?

Thanks,
Mason

Christopera
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2007, 03:42 PM

There shouldn't be an issue. The hard drive issue could easily be solved with an external(not sure if you are interested in that).

A simple upgarde of ram and you would hands down be seeing better performance.

If you do lots of photoshopping a bigger screen will be needed. If you want the portability of the MB get an en external monitor and save 600 bucks. HP has a nice one with speakers built in that i'm looking at for instalation in my bedroom along with a bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse. The Ultimate portable/homebased work station. If you want to go everywhere and still do the photoshopping get the MBP.

ncmason
Nov 10, 2007, 03:51 PM

"If you want to go everywhere and still do the photoshopping get the MBP"

Thanks. That's all I needed to know to make my decision. MBP it is.

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2007, 04:17 PM

of note, it's much easier to upgrade macbook HD. I think for you it depends on what you are doing with CS premium - if it's huge, hollywood/publication type stuff with terabytes of data, probably get the pro. otherwise get the macbook.

Of note if you are doing any color sensitive stuff, use an external monitor with either.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2007, 04:31 PM

Photoshop works very well on the MacBook. I don't see why you would need to buy a MacBook Pro just for Photoshop. The only reason I would get a Pro in your situation was if I needed 100% accurate colors... because the MacBook's screen doesn't always show colors accurately. But then again, the MacBook Pro wouldn't be perfect either, you'd have to buy a $1500 LaCie monitor for that.

ncmason
Nov 10, 2007, 05:02 PM

In my personal opinion the MacBook Pro is a creative professional's mobile solution. If you would object to that, please provide some reasons.

Thanks,
Mason

Christopera
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2007, 06:21 PM

The truth is I do lots of photoshopping. Maybe 8 hours worth a week. Granted you may be doing 40. On my MB I often run into situations where I am hindered by the screen size. I find working with photos over 5 megapixle is tough. This said, 5 migapixle is a low grade camera these days. I am by no means professional photog. and I use nothing less than 7 megapixle. Never the less, I get the work done, it would just be a good bit easier on a bigger screen. This is why I am looking at the 22 inch screen for home. I can write papers, surf the net, code, and most everything else on the MB's screen no problem.

ncmason
Nov 10, 2007, 07:09 PM

During a regular week, I'll do PowerPoints/Keynotes, make websites in Dreamweaver, and use Photoshop (3 hour projects - about every other day). So, wouldn't it be best to go with the MacBook Pro for screen size in particular?

Thanks,
Mason

freudling
Banned
Nov 10, 2007, 07:14 PM

Some very notable things to consider:

The MacBook Pro's screen is much, much larger. I find the MacBook's too small, but very good for portability.

The illuminated keyboard is very useful, you won't get that on the MacBook.

Express Card slot. Think about the day when external hard drives will be outdated: right now there is a 64 GB Express Card. Expensive now, but down the road something like this will be very useful.

Graphics card. With 128 or 256 MB dedicated, there is no comparison between the MacBook Pro and MacBook.

The MacBook Pro also has also has 2 USB, 2 FW and DVI out.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by ncmason View Post
In my personal opinion the MacBook Pro is a creative professional's mobile solution. If you would object to that, please provide some reasons.

Thanks,
Mason
I've posted a lot on this topic, and each post gets shorter and shorter. Continuing this tradition:

The only REAL, important difference between the two is the integrated/real graphics.
If you don't need real graphics, get the MB. If you need a larger screen, get the Macbook and a 20 inch external, and stil save hundreds of dollars.

The 2.4 vs 2.16 is valid, but not really that important on the whole. Get the 2.16, ram to 2 or 3 gb, and run PS/iLife/Office/ anything non 3d to your heart's content.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2007, 07:23 PM

Some very notable things to consider:
The MacBook Pro's screen is much, much larger. I find the MacBook's too small, but very good for portability.
Some of us prefere smaller screens. For those that don't, a $500 ext. screen still saves hundreds of dollars.
The illuminated keyboard is very useful, you won't get that on the MacBook.
A nice little perk, not that important.

Express Card slot. Think about the day when external hard drives will be outdated: right now there is a 64 GB Express Card. Expensive now, but down the road something like this will be very useful.
That's definitely true, if you have a use for it. I never have.

Graphics card. With 128 or 256 MB dedicated, there is no comparison between the MacBook Pro and MacBook.
If you do 3d stuff... If you don't, it's irrelevant.

The MacBook Pro also has also has 2 USB, 2 FW and DVI out.
Macbook has 2 USB, [macbook pro has one FW 400, one FW800], the macbook has one FW400, and the MB has mini dvi.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2007, 07:46 PM

I do web developing work also. The MB is everything need excluding a large screen for large photos. I find the portability is great for meeting clients also.

ncmason
Nov 10, 2007, 09:15 PM

I think for my needs (Photos, Graphics, 3D, etc,..) I'm going to lean towards the MacBook Pro. I mean, it seems most realistic to have a screen that's large enough to work on, so why not choose the MacBook Pro? Bigger screen, more USB/FW ports, and larger video card.

Thanks again,
Mason

Christopera
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2007, 10:05 PM

It seems like you want the Pro more anyways. I think it is an excellent choice.

ncmason
Nov 10, 2007, 10:11 PM

Thanks for supporting my choice. I'm not going to buy one quite yet, I may wait until the new ones come out at MacWorld in January.

Mason

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2007, 11:42 PM

If you are going to hook up a lot of drives to it, the eSATA and FW 800 makes sense.

I edit ~70-120mb photoshop files on my macbook...mbp might make things fly a little faster but meh

For serious 3D, I'd bet you prob need a tower.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by ncmason View Post
I think for my needs (Photos, Graphics, 3D, etc,..) \
Do not stop at Macbook, go directly to MacBook Pro.

gthsii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2007, 06:08 PM

"wait until the new ones come out at MacWorld in January. " - wait, has there been a confirmation of a product refresh with respect to MBs and MBPs come January?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by gthsii View Post
"wait until the new ones come out at MacWorld in January. " - wait, has there been a confirmation of a product refresh with respect to MBs and MBPs come January?
It's an educated guess... Intel drops new (45nm) mobile chips in the first quarter (I haven't seen an exact date yet)... 2.5+Ghz, 6MB cache, new instructions, yada yada.

Forum Links
Forum Rules