Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cassette to CD software

Cassette to CD software
patpending
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2008, 03:32 PM

What software to I need to get cassette (lecture) tapes onto my Mac mini so I can convert these recordings to CD's? I am currently examining a trial of Sound Studio. What is the seque?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2008, 04:43 PM

Sound studio is great, but Garageband would work just as well for your purpose, and it's already installed on your computer. Just record from your tape deck, and then export the mix from Garageband straight to iTunes to burn.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2008, 07:46 PM

I would think this would work for just about any audio source you had. Plug your stereo audio signal into your computer's line in jack (it's marked as microphone, but you can tell your computer to handle it as line in through Sound preferences), and record away. I wonder how well a MBP's input system would handle a turntable's (not line out) signal...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2008, 10:35 PM

I'm pretty sure most of the inputs on macs are line level, which is what you want for this application. I'm not sure what you'd get plugging a turntable directly into the port, probably very distorted, over-modulated audio. I've recorded from a turntable into Sound Studio, but I passed it through a receiver with a phono input and line-out.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 3, 2008, 08:09 AM

"Phono" outputs tend to be fairly low level-that's why receivers have special inputs for turntables, so they can amplify the input appropriately. Getting distorted audio comes from overamplifying the signal. If you can tweak the input level appropriately, that wouldn't be a problem. I just have to try this out to see.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 01:44 PM

Ah I had it backwards then. Thanks for the clarification.

patpending  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2008, 06:30 PM

Thank you slpdLoad & ghporter. Will try direct input and see. How does Garageband pick up the cassette recorder input? i.e., How is a document created? Obviously I am a novice, and Garageband help does not address this issue.

"It is wise to seek immortality; Time defeats all other ambitions.' — Vernon Howard

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 3, 2008, 06:56 PM

You'll need a cable that goes from the appropriate kind of jack on your cassette recorder (probably a stereo out mini (1/8") stereo jack) and your computer's mic/line in jack (also a mini stereo jack). That should be it-use the Garageband controls in concert with the cassette recorder's to start and stop the process. It's a good idea to use the Garageband tutorial to see how to capture microphone input.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 09:17 PM

Here's the basics of it:

1. Go to System Preferences -> Sound -> Input tab -> select "Line In"
2. Open Garageband and start a new music project
3. Go to Garageband's preferences -> Audio/Midi tab -> select "Built-In Audio" for Input
4. Delete the piano track that's already in your project screen
5. Click the "+" button in the lower left of the Garageband screen to make your track.
6. Select "Real Instrument" from the dialog box that comes up.
7. The "Track Info" pane should slide in from the right, and you can control the input using the controls that should be in the lower right the window. Make sure "no effect" is selected in the effects selections above.
8. Turn on "Monitoring" to hear that you're getting a good signal, and hit the record button (round red button by the play/pause controls) to start recording your songs/tape.
9. When you're done, you might want to trim up the song to make it start and end nicely.

If you're doing a whole tape it is usually easier to just record one song at a time, export the song to iTunes (I think it's called "Create Mixdown") and then record the next song.

That should get you started, ask if you get stuck. Cheers.

patpending  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 03:15 PM

Terrific! Your instructions worked fine. You've saved us from expensive commercial copying of our (nonprofit community service organization) free public talks on stress and anxiety, etc. now on cassettes, enabling us to make CD's.

What exactly is meant by trimming up the recording?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 03:43 PM

He just means editing out unnecessary parts from what you've recorded.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules