Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to Scan and Print

How to Scan and Print
headhog70
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2008, 11:30 AM

I am trying to scan an image and then print it at the exact same size as the original hard copy. I'm a new Mac user and have not loaded any graphics applications other than what came with the Mac. I am waiting for the latest Photoshop Elements.

Can anyone offer advice on how do solve my problem with software that came with the Mac, or suggest an inexpensive image printer application?

Thanks

Cold Warrior
Feb 10, 2008, 11:48 AM

Image Capture works great with many scanners. It can save scans in a variety of formats, including PDF (even a single PDF for a multi-page document put through an automatic document feeder). PDF works great for preserving accurate sizes for later printing.

headhog70  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2008, 12:22 PM

I tried the Image Capture application and scanned to a PDF. The input document was 8.33 X 10.78 inches. The output document was 17.4 X 22.4 inches as printed by Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I need to do a little more research. For now, I'm firing up my Windows PC to get the job done. I hate to say it, but Windows just works.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by headhog70 View Post
I tried the Image Capture application and scanned to a PDF. The input document was 8.33 X 10.78 inches. The output document was 17.4 X 22.4 inches as printed by Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I need to do a little more research. For now, I'm firing up my Windows PC to get the job done. I hate to say it, but Windows just works.
Obviously, your problem is one of correct scanning or printing settings.

Make sure you scan at 100%, and you print not to fit to the page.

To check your workflow, scan as letter, and then open the PDF in Prview, and check the page size. It should be letter there (8.5 x 11).

-t

headhog70  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2008, 03:05 PM

I agree with you Turtle777. I just don't see where I'm going wrong. I had a reference book on scanning and printing technique and I hope I can find it soon. I have learned that DPI means completely different things when scanning and then printing. It is not obvious. I just need to get away from it for a while and I'll probably figure it out when I'm fresh.

headhog70  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2008, 04:52 PM

I think I've found the problem. I'm scanning at 150 samples per inch and printing at 72 pixels per inch. I don't know how to set the printing pixels per inch on my printer. So the net effect is my printed image is 150/72 times the size of the original. I have Photoshop Elements on my PC that takes care of the problem for now.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2008, 07:15 PM

You can't set a printer to print at a higher DPI than it's rated for. It's a question of image size settings, and I know it can be annoying.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules