Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Oprah Winfrey: Reverse Racist

Oprah Winfrey: Reverse Racist
AllegedNews
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2008, 07:52 PM

Oprah won't allow Sarah Palin on her show.

It's okay that Oprah has Obama on her show.

But allow the first woman vice president nominee on her show is a no-go.

Why, Oprah?

Can't be because you're against her gender because you state that you are for women's rights.

So the only thing I can think of is that it is because Oprah wants a black man in the White House and that means Oprah is a racist.

When are whites going to get WET? WET stands for White Entertainment Television, BTW. The counterpart to BET.

That's an example of reverse racism.

Winfrey should take a lot of heat for this.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 07:54 PM

Or maybe she wants a Democrat in the White House and not a Republican.

Too easy?

AllegedNews  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2008, 07:56 PM

We're talking about a woman who touts herself as unbiased and fair.

Why not have both of them on?

I want both of them on.

No, she's had Obama on twice before, just before he announced his run, and that's what she wanted.

I'd like to hear and see both on. At the same time. But she won't. Because she's a racist.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by AllegedNews View Post
That's odd, why wouldn't she let Geraldine Ferraro on her show?
( Last edited by CharlesS; Sep 5, 2008 at 08:07 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 07:57 PM

Dakar's right. It's her show, and she worships (quite literally) B.H.O. What incentive does she have to have Palin on?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2008, 07:59 PM

Wait, literally? She literally bows down and prays to Barack Obama for eternal salvation?

Wow, I'm learning all kinds of new things in this thread.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Dakar's right. It's her show, and she worships (quite literally) B.H.O. What incentive does she have to have Palin on?
To proof that she's not a witch.

But since that's unpossible...

-t

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 08:08 PM

I think that to suggest Oprah is racist is pretty drastic. She's a liberal woman who wants a Democrat to win the presidency. She had Al Gore on her show, according to a quick Google search, so I think her show's guest list has to do with politics and nothing whatsoever with race.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2008, 08:17 PM

I'd like to hear and see both on. At the same time. But she won't. Because she's a racist.
No, she's a democrat and who has thrown her support behind Obama. Its her show, she can promote whomever she wishes.
~Mike

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 08:20 PM

It's probably best that she stays off the show, I hear that Oprah's reality distortion field impairs her guests' judgment.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 08:24 PM

What's reverse racist?

Non-whites being racist against whites?

Isn't that white supremacy thinking?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2008, 08:46 PM

I want both of them on.

No, she's had Obama on twice before, just before he announced his run, and that's what she wanted.

Did she say she was unbiased and fair? I thought she endorsed Obama.

Gee-Man
Senior User
Sep 5, 2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by AllegedNews
Winfrey should take a lot of heat for this.
I'm sure billionaire Oprah is scared. Oooo, "AllegedNews" on the MacNN forums wants to deliver the heat to Oprah Winfrey!

Pathetic.

Oprah is a talk show host, not a reporter.

I want both of them on.
You think Oprah gives a damn what you want? Get your own show, if you can manage to string a few coherent sentences together, then you can have on anybody you like.

Because it's her show. She can do whatever she damn well pleases. And all you can do is not watch. It's your choice.

Given Obama's prominence in the news, and the previous shout-out to wanting "White Entertainment Television" (dunno where the hell THAT came from), I suspect we'll be hearing a lot more spittle-flecked ignorant rants from "AllegedNews" in the next 60 days here in the P/L. Looking forward to it.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
What's reverse racist?

Huh?
ebuddy

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 08:56 PM

I just wish people would stop watching her annoying show.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Huh?
Huh what?

If a person is racist, the person is racist.

Why would a non-while person who is a racist be called a reverse racist?

AllegedNews  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2008, 08:58 PM

I echo ebuddy's sentiment.

Huh?

I'm really disappointed in her. I hope that when she finally decides to have VICE PRESIDENT PALIN on her show that VICE PRESIDENT PALIN refuses.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 09:02 PM

Did she have Hillary on her show during the election? Sexist and racist!

Did Maury have Obama on? Racist! Did Ellen have Dennis Kucinich? Anti-male!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 09:02 PM

Can white people be reverse racist?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 09:10 PM

After deciding to endorse Obama, she decided not to have any more political people on the show. Has nothing to do with race.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 09:16 PM

Conservative organized attack on Oprah Winfrey, calling her a "Reverse Racist" because she is black. Who the hell calls someone a "Reverse Racist"?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&start=10&sa=N

If you think there is Reverse Racism involve, then fine. You don't go calling non-whites reverse racist. A racist is a racist regardless of the color of their skin. Might as well add the word "Reverse" to all adjectives to describe non-whites.
( Last edited by hyteckit; Sep 5, 2008 at 09:25 PM. )

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
After deciding to endorse Obama, she decided not to have any more political people on the show. Has nothing to do with race.
What celebs choose to do in there "off" hours is their business and while they are creating quality entertainment, I'm not going to boycott them as long as they aren't letting their personal bias negatively impact the entertainment they provide.

I have no problem with Oprah supporting Obama. I have no problem supporting Oprah's money making endeavors just because she supports Obama in her "off" hours.

On the other hand, once she starts using her show as a tool for political propaganda and refusing to give equal time to differing points of view and giving certain political candidates preferential treatment, that's when her right to free political opinion starts to rub against my own. If I or my family would watch and support Oprah's show at this point, we would be complicit in Oprah's political scheming. I think that Oprah has too much money and should be worrying about all the people who watch her show who aren't liberal democcrats who will probably drop her like a rock now that it's apparent that she's a phony with a political agenda.

AllegedNews  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2008, 09:48 PM

All the people who watch her show who aren't liberal democcrats who will probably drop her like a rock now that it's apparent that she's a phony with a political agenda.
Well said.

AllegedNews  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2008, 09:54 PM

Oh, and someone mentioned Geraldine Ferraro?

She believes that reverse-racism is at work in this election also.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
What celebs choose to do in there "off" hours is their business and while they are creating quality entertainment, I'm not going to boycott them as long as they aren't letting their personal bias negatively impact the entertainment they provide.

I have no problem with Oprah supporting Obama. I have no problem supporting Oprah's money making endeavors just because she supports Obama in her "off" hours.

On the other hand, once she starts using her show as a tool for political propaganda and refusing to give equal time to differing points of view and giving certain political candidates preferential treatment, that's when her right to free political opinion starts to rub against my own. If I or my family would watch and support Oprah's show at this point, we would be complicit in Oprah's political scheming. I think that Oprah has too much money and should be worrying about all the people who watch her show who aren't liberal democcrats who will probably drop her like a rock now that it's apparent that she's a phony with a political agenda.
You are confused. She has said she will not have any politicians on her show. None. She rightly recognizes that she can't give an unbiased forum when she herself is biased. Since she cannot provide an unbiased forum, she will provide no forum at all.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 11:18 PM

She believes that reverse-racism is at work in this election also.
She clearly demonstrated that she's an idiot. But go ahead, tell us all about the big advantage Obama has because he's black.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2008, 11:27 PM

What do you think about a celebrity like Rush Limbaugh letting his personal bias negatively impact the entertainment he provides and using his show as a tool for political propaganda?
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Sep 5, 2008 at 11:34 PM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2008, 11:34 PM

I've always felt the the Oprah Winfrey Show (not necessarily Oprah Winfrey herself) was technically racist. While I don't see any evidence of hatred against Caucasians in the show, it's rather clear that she uses the show to highlight successful and influential Africans.

That said, it's her show and she can do what she wants with it. If her customers don't the product she's selling, they'll stop buying it. Market forces are great that way.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2008, 11:41 PM

After reading the article, I'm forced to wonder if AllegedNews did ...

Originally Posted by From the article
"At the beginning of the presidential campaign, when I decided that I was going to take my first public stance in support of a candidate, I made the decision not to use my show as a platform for any of the candidates," Winfrey wrote.

"I agree that Sarah Palin would be a fantastic interview, and I would love to have her on after the campaign is over."

... Obama appeared on Winfrey's show prior to announcing his plans to run for the presidency, once in January 2005 and, more recently, in October 2006.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Wait, literally? She literally bows down and prays to Barack Obama for eternal salvation?

Wow, I'm learning all kinds of new things in this thread.
they do at MSNBC.
45/47

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 12:24 AM

You are confused. She has said she will not have any politicians on her show. None.
...after she's had Obama on the show a couple of times and anointed him as her personal savior while gushing all over him in the press on a constant basis. Yeah...I know.

She rightly recognizes that she can't give an unbiased forum when she herself is biased. Since she cannot provide an unbiased forum, she will provide no forum at all.
...and now that she's finally admitting it to everyone, those who aren't interested in the politically biased atmosphere she's created on her show can take a walk with a clean conscience.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2008, 12:29 AM

You are confused. She has said she will not have any politicians on her show. None. She rightly recognizes that she can't give an unbiased forum when she herself is biased. Since she cannot provide an unbiased forum, she will provide no forum at all.
Bollocks.

If Obama called her she'd have him in the studio in less time than it takes for Michael Moore to down a gallon of Ben and Jerry's.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
What do you think about a celebrity like Rush Limbaugh letting his personal bias negatively impact the entertainment he provides and using his show as a tool for political propaganda?
He's been honest about it. You know if you are listening to him that you are taking in a politically biased source saying things that you may not believe. That actually limits his audience. There are millions of people who simply don't want to hear conservative biased commentary, and this limits the growth of his program.

Oprah on the other hand has branded herself as a woman focused on the concerns of American females of all races, types and classes. She's now admitting that it's really only the liberal democrat partisan types that she truly cares about. The same crowd that thinks that in order to be a feminist, you must have a liberal ideology. Now that everything is out in the open and it's clear that race and party affiliation are more important than an unbiased look at the issues women face, she's engaging in behavior (like Limbaugh) which will limit her potential audience.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2008, 12:37 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 99% of Rush's show about politics, isn't that what his life centers around? Now, if you're saying that Oprah is on the same playing field with a similar motivation, wouldn't that make all of her gifts, reviews, and advice just as tainted? It kinda places her in the "manipulative ****" category.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 99% of Rush's show about politics, isn't that what his life centers around? Now, if you're saying that Oprah is on the same playing field with a similar motivation, wouldn't that make all of her gifts, reviews, and advice just as tainted? It kinda places her in the "manipulative ****" category.
That's pretty much always the impression I've had of her.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 01:10 AM

For the most part, politics tends to divide.

If she wants to privately engage in politics, that's her right. When she starts using the resources she has which also relies on people who don't agree with her politically for political purposes, she's going to lose audience.

As long as she's content with losing audience to shows which aren't politically biased, and understand she's removed any notion that she cares about the average American woman regardless of their political affliation, she can do what she wants I suppose. It's not like she needs the money, but I figure the loss of prestige won't sit well with her and she will turn into another one of the ultra-wealthy liberals who bemoan America and won't be able to get over it when those uncaring, racist, bigots in the Republican party win in November, despite her making it clear who she demanded win.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2008, 01:40 AM

When you use the term 'reverse' re: racism, you are reinforcing the fact that racism is only one way, and that any other instance, is somehow different because it's 'reversed'.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 01:44 AM

She's now admitting that it's really only the liberal democrat partisan types that she truly cares about.
She's not "admitting" any such thing, you're just shoving words in her mouth.

You're just bitter that the GOP has flushed this election down the crapper.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2008, 02:04 AM

It's okay that Oprah has Obama on her show.

Oprah Winfrey is refusing to host Geraldine Ferraro?

Why, Oprah?

Dude. Get your history right. Mondale-Ferraro, 1984.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 03:14 AM

I swear. Republicans need to grow a pair.

"Oh nos! Oprah won't have Palin on her show! waahhhhhhh..."

Seriously. How many people here would actually care if Palin was on Oprah anyway? This is just the right finding something else to whine about because someone feels they aren't the center of the universe.

I mean, for all this fuss, I've never seen offended liberals when their candidate doesn't get invited onto some tv show.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

moep
Senior User
Sep 6, 2008, 03:17 AM

What's reverse racist?

Yeah, that topic title is just
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

AllegedNews  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2008, 03:23 AM

Geraldine Ferraro hasn't been a guest on Oprah either, vmarks.

And she's a democrat.

More proof she doesn't want white women/politicians on her show.

Ferraro got it right when she said that if Obama had been white he would not be where he is today. And that includes a guest spot on the Oprah show. (Twice.)

If Obama called her she'd have him in the studio in less time than it takes for Michael Moore to down a gallon of Ben and Jerry's.
I think you're correct.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2008, 03:36 AM

Geraldine Ferraro hasn't been a guest on Oprah either, vmarks.

And she's a democrat.

More proof she doesn't want white women/politicians on her show.
That's not proof. It's suspicion.

Allow me to pose a different view.

Oprah started her broadcasting life in Tennesee.

She got her show in Chicago in late 1983. She had the lowest ranked half-hour morning show. She took a few months and it became a high ranked show, but it didn't broadcast nationally until 1986.

So, the show we know as Oprah! didn't really start until over a year after the election season in which Ferraro took part.

Ferraro had laid low for years since that season, there was no reason to have her on.

It's a little absurd to claim "proof" when there's a perfectly logical explanation: Ferraro's fame had passed by the time Oprah's had risen.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 03:40 AM

I was making fun of you for claiming Sarah Palin was the first female VP candidate. She isn't - Ferraro was.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 07:34 AM

She's not "admitting" any such thing, you're just shoving words in her mouth.
Acknowledging that the only person currently on the ticket for President that she allowed on her show was the guy she supported, pretty much is an admission. She's not for giving information to her audience, she's for pushing her guy into office.

You're just bitter that the GOP has flushed this election down the crapper.
A dead heat where the Democrats should be way out in the lead. Yeah...down the crapper. Sure.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2008, 08:15 AM

I've always felt the the Oprah Winfrey Show (not necessarily Oprah Winfrey herself) was technically racist. While I don't see any evidence of hatred against Caucasians in the show, it's rather clear that she uses the show to highlight successful and influential Africans.
Someone please tell me that this is an elaborate joke.
Oprah Winfrey uses her show to highlight successful and influential black Americans? Tell me it ain't so!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2008, 08:28 AM

By this token, I am discriminating against all the women of the world when I go home to my wife instead of them.

That's right, I guess I'm just prejudiced in favor of my wife.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
By this token, I am discriminating against all the women of the world when I go home to my wife instead of them.

So... are you likewise married to whiteness? I don't get it.
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

Well, ya, you are discriminating against all other women. But, that's why I said "technically" her show is racist. It does tend to favor certain segments of our society. Any decision based on race is going to be racist. Any decision based on sex is going to be sexist; you're sexist (so am I) for choosing to marry a women. It's not always a bad thing, it's just reality. Oprah's show doesn't make bad racist decisions, but it does appear to make racist decisions. Some people, like Alleged News, recognize that racism are inclined to project their feelings of unfairness onto it, in much the same way that some minority groups are inclined to blame racism for perceived unfairness that are in reality they're own fault.

You'll also note I said "her show", not her, and that I didn't think it was hate motivated.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 10:15 AM

Can white people be reverse racist?
Yes. When they accept that they are the source of all societal ills.
They took the land from the Native Americans who'd perfected taking it from one another prior. They invented slavery, etc...

Now... racism in the US has become more a word to describe distasteful behavior against minorities than a word describing intolerance of other races in general. In the US, reverse-discrimination is when the minority who has traditionally been the subject of racism in America becomes racist against the majority. The term acknowledges that racism used to have a focus against minorities, but is today found with increasing regularity in both directions. It is actually quite a fair representation of the problem.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules