Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5.3 update and folder size error

10.5.3 update and folder size error
MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2008, 10:28 PM

Since updating to 10.5.3 (it may have been there before, but I didn't notice it) I have noticed that folder sizes are being inaccurately reported.

I have just come back from holiday, over 1,200 digital photo's, (≈ 2mb each), initial folder sizes correct AFAIK.

Assigning folders to day / location.

Editing by removing unwanted / poor photo's, (using GC 6.1) then PS7'ing them, I noticed that folder sizes, although reducing bore no relationship to the contents.

This happened before recently.

If I create New Folder, move contents to new folder, folder size is now correct.

Empty folder now shows discrepancy, (up to 600mb+) and when deleted master folder size is correct.

Some folders were showing 1gb+ size, transferred same files new folder now shows correct 300mb, and master folder has reduced from 3.6gb to 1.4gb.

Smaller folders <≈ 100mg seem to show correct folder size.

Any explanation for this ?
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Jun 13, 2008 at 10:47 PM. )

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

MacNNUK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2008, 07:44 AM

Updated to 10.5.4

Same problem, usually with folders containing photo's, if only because they are quite large. Files & folders

If I delete, or convert to a small size, files within a folder, the folder retains the original folder size, even under information.

If I transfer all the files out, the folder still show some size, relating to deleted files.

My get around is to create a new folder, transfer all the files into that new folder, then copy & paste original folder name to the new one, then replace original folder with new folder.

Anyone have an explanation for this ?

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Forum Links
Forum Rules