Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lifelock, Identity Truth, others?

Lifelock, Identity Truth, others?
Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2008, 04:37 PM

Hi all,

I'm becoming more and more concerned about identity theft, and was wondering if any of you belong to any of the companies that claim to protect your identity, and what are your experiences so far? I've heard two or three advertise on the radio/TV, I'm sure there are more. I'd like to hear the ones any of you have had dealings with, positive or otherwise. Thanks.

Tom

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2008, 05:33 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/24/bu...oney.html?8dpc

I don't know very much about these services' full range of supposed benefits, but one of their main functions is to put a fraud alert on your credit file (requiring credit companies to take extra steps to confirm your identity), which is something that you can easily do yourself, for free.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2008, 05:35 PM

Some banks provide an equivalent service for free or a small fee.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Sep 13, 2008 at 08:10 PM. )

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2008, 08:04 PM

I use my bank's service. It's around $12.00/month and I can check my credit reports and scores as many times as I want and it alerts me when there is any activity in any of my credit reports (inquiries, new accounts, changes in credit limits, etc.).

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 13, 2008, 08:34 PM

The owner of lifelock had his identity stolen, after he blitzed his SocSec number in all the ads. Seriously, he's had it stolen about 20 times. LifeLock has only paid out to customers whose ID has been stolen 3 times, with no stats available on how many claims they've denied.

http://www.bargaineering.com/article...rotection.html is how to do it yourself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules