Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Portable Printers ???

Portable Printers ???
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2008, 11:22 PM

Just did a search and found almost nothing on the subject of portable printers. I need one for light office use, mostly B&W text documents - though of course photo functionality is not a demerit. Can anyone make a recommendation?

I'm aware of the HP460c and 470 and the Canon IP90 and IP90v. With a current sale at Amazon the latter appears to be the cheapest (at $135 and free shipping). It also appears to be the best - but that's what I could use some input on.

thanks!

OreoCookie
Sep 15, 2008, 04:14 AM

To my knowledge, these are the only portable printers sold today, although Canon has released a newer version, the IP100(v). Canons use separate ink cartridges for colors, unlike HP. This alone is reason enough to go for the Canon.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2008, 02:26 PM

Good to know. Guess I'll go ahead and grab the IP90v since it would seem to be more than enough printer for my purposes. Unfortunately the bluetooth dongle is another $72. But it still comes in less than the HPs.

Any idea if a generic dongle will work w/the IP90v?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 18, 2008, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Canons use separate ink cartridges for colors, unlike HP. This alone is reason enough to go for the Canon.
Not all Canon models do. The low end desktop models, plus the portable models, use a black cartridge and a multicolor cartridge.

The iP90/90v is a great printer. I imagine that the successor model is equally satisfying. The tradeoff to the portability is high ink cost, since the ink tanks are eentsy-weentsy.

OreoCookie
Sep 18, 2008, 01:59 AM

I know. I was referring to these specific models, though.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 24, 2008, 07:53 PM

But those models don't use individual tanks, just one for black and one multicolor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules