Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Biden loses his mind

Biden loses his mind
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 06:53 PM

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/stump...k-than-me.aspx

Originally Posted by Joe Biden
Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified as I am … She’s qualified to be president of the United States of America and equally qualified to be vice president of the United States of America. And quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me.

Having listened to the tape, there should be an ellipsis between "America" and "And quite frankly".

He actually paused to think about it.

I have no Rule 8 qualifier.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 06:56 PM

It's almost like they don't want to win.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 06:56 PM

He's being honest and perhaps even paving the way for a bail-out in favor of the shrill one. Anyone think it's possible that Obama will say, "oops, mea culpa, time for Hillary!"

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
He's being honest and perhaps even paving the way for a bail-out in favor of the shrill one.

That's the scuttlebutt.

If that is the plan, I have to say I'll never regret having liked the guy.

That would be an almost inhumanly classy move.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
That's the scuttlebutt.
Do you really think it could happen?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 07:11 PM

He's being honest and perhaps even paving the way for a bail-out in favor of the shrill one. Anyone think it's possible that Obama will say, "oops, mea culpa, time for Hillary!"
GOP would destroy them if they did that. With two words: "flip flop".

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 07:15 PM

Do you really think it could happen?

On one hand, it seems like a ridiculous impossibility.

On the other hand, Biden can't be that stupid.

You can hear the gears turning in his head on the tape.

Likewise, the fact that people like Sarah Palin has hit the Democrats like a freight train with lipstick.

Edit: like, way too many likes in like that last sentence.
( Last edited by subego; Sep 10, 2008 at 07:23 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
GOP would destroy them if they did that. With two words: "flip flop".

Obama wouldn't kick him off the ticket. Biden would step down for "personal" reasons.

kido331
Sep 10, 2008, 08:01 PM

If Obama dumps Biden for Hillary now, I'm sure women voters will respond well to the "No, baby. That other one meant nothing to me. You're the one I really wanted." strategy.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 09:41 PM

It would look really bad if Obama switched his running mate at this stage in the game.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 10:24 PM

Can they switch choices after the convention? Didn't they have to vote on both positions?

Someone help me out on this.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Can they switch choices after the convention? Didn't they have to vote on both positions?

Someone help me out on this.
McGovern dropped Eagleton after he cried at a press conference and replaced him with Sargent Shriver (Maria's father) in '72
45/47

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
McGovern dropped Eagleton after he cried at a press conference and replaced him with Sargent Shriver (Maria's father) in '72
Well it turned out well for him…
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2008, 12:21 AM

Clinton wouldn't accept it at this point. She already has had to pretend to bow before Barry at the Convention after enduring a campaign laced with misogyny and where she had the race card played on her time and again. There's no reason for her to be anyone's second choice and then have the Obama stink all over her for 2012.

She is better off just acting like she wants him to win and keep her senate seat until the next time around. She saw how the DNC treated Lieberman and left him out to dry just one term after he was their poster boy. Its in her best interests just to look out for herself and not the party now that they need her more than she needs them.

This is just the sort of stupid mistake we knew Biden was going to be throwing out there when he was named as the VP choice. Typical of the self proclaimed "good judgement" ticket.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Obama wouldn't kick him off the ticket. Biden would step down for "personal" reasons.
That would make Obama the ultimate player.

Way to go, Obama, you used Biden and dropped him like a hot potato when you realized you bet on the wrong horse.

-t

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2008, 01:51 PM

Are we raking a politician over the coals for being honest? No wonder they lie all the time.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2008, 02:23 PM

I see your point, but I think that's jumping over the part where that honesty has little practical value if it causes you to lose.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 04:46 PM

So... are we voting against a politician for being honest? If anything, that's even worse.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Are we raking a politician over the coals for being honest? No wonder they lie all the time.
Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
So... are we voting against a politician for being honest? If anything, that's even worse.
I don't think honesty is the issue here, it's Obama's judgement. He obviously has very poor judgement in this matter, how can he lead this country if he can't even make the right decision for his VP?

Isn't that the same stupid crap we endured about McCain in this very thread as well as in the press?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2008, 08:06 PM

Or maybe, it's possible that more than one person in this country is qualified to be Vice President, and Biden has the misfortune of being honest, and perhaps even humble?

I like Biden. His mouth frequently goes faster than his head, so we get gems like these. I don;t have a problem with this, because I think it;s a direct window into what he truly thinks, without the spin machine. Plus, it makes the whole process a lot more entertaining.
( Last edited by Dork.; Sep 11, 2008 at 08:12 PM. )

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2008, 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=smacintush;3723647]I don't think honesty is the issue here, it's Obama's judgement. He obviously has very poor judgement in this matter, how can he lead this country if he can't even make the right decision for his VP?
QUOTE]

And McCain made the right choice? LOL

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I don't think honesty is the issue here, it's Obama's judgement. He obviously has very poor judgement in this matter, how can he lead this country if he can't even make the right decision for his VP?

Isn't that the same stupid crap we endured about McCain in this very thread as well as in the press?
Well, look at McCain. A political unknown with scandals brewing back home. I mean, this goes both ways.

I really can't believe we're trying to jump all over Biden for being modest. Let's be realistic here, folks. He was just trying to say something nice for pete's sake.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 11:22 PM

Scandals? What scandals? The unfounded tripe from Democratic Pravda?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Well, look at McCain. A political unknown with scandals brewing back home. I mean, this goes both ways.
Huh ? Checked the polls lately ?
Did Biden exite the voters ?

-t

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
It would look really bad if Obama switched his running mate at this stage in the game.
It would be par for the course for Obama, actually.

Obama is constantly having to revise his statements and positions... it's almost pathological how often he fails to get it right the first go-round. His next day's "What I really meant to say was..." is his trademark.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2008, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Scandals? What scandals? The unfounded tripe from Democratic Pravda?
Um, no, I was thinking of the ongoing investigation that her own ethics advisor warned her about.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2008, 12:16 AM

An honest, humble man? Crucify him! Obama should have chosen a pretty homophobe with the temperament of an rabid doberman!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Huh ? Checked the polls lately ?
Did Biden exite the voters ?

-t
Certainly not.

But there's a problem with this kind of excitement. It can fade.

Just ask Obama.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2008, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
An honest, humble man? Crucify him! Obama should have chosen a pretty homophobe with the temperament of an rabid doberman!
James T. Meeks? Oh, you said pretty, nevermind.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Or maybe, it's possible that more than one person in this country is qualified to be Vice President, and Biden has the misfortune of being honest, and perhaps even humble?

I like Biden. His mouth frequently goes faster than his head, so we get gems like these. I don;t have a problem with this, because I think it;s a direct window into what he truly thinks, without the spin machine. Plus, it makes the whole process a lot more entertaining.
Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
And McCain made the right choice? LOL
Originally Posted by Helmling View Post

I really can't believe we're trying to jump all over Biden for being modest. Let's be realistic here, folks. He was just trying to say something nice for pete's sake.
I FAIL at white text…

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 11:41 AM

According to the Telegraph Online, Biden has lost the Catholic vote for Obama. No one has won the POTUS without the Catholic vote
Archbishop Chaput of Denver had already announced Biden should not receive communion because of his pro-abortion views. Defiantly, Biden took communion in his home parish in Delaware in late August. On September 2 the Bishop of Scranton, Pennsylvania (a crucial swing state) banned him from communion in his diocese. That is effective excommunication. Then came the crucial provocation. On NBC's Meet the Press programme on September 7 Biden grossly misrepresented the Catholic Church's teaching on abortion and audaciously cited St Thomas Aquinas in his own cause.

That did it. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi had already done the same thing on the same programme, in her instance citing St Augustine. Even the torpid US bishops could not have false doctrine glibly broadcast by public figures, misleading their flock. So the counterattack described here last week began, culminating in a statement from the US Bishops' Conference. The bishops of Kansas City have also issued a pastoral letter on the subject. It is open season on Biden.
45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2008, 11:55 AM

No one has won the POTUS without the Catholic vote
Except Bush in 2000. And that's the only election I bothered to look up.

Try again.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2008, 11:59 AM

According to the Telegraph Online, Biden has lost the Catholic vote for Obama.
And, BTW, Kerry still managed to get 47% of the Catholic vote while suffering from the same criticisms of the Church. And he was at the top of the ticket. Your conclusion, while a humorous diversion, is without merit.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 12:00 PM

Well thats that. B Hussein O and cafeteria Catholic Joe "I'm going to spend an eternity rotting in Hell" Biden have all but lost. This seals the deal.

Sorry liberals. You lost again.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 12:00 PM

The article notes that one exception
There are 47 million Catholic voters in the United States. One quarter of all registered voters are Catholics. At every presidential election in the past 30 years the Catholic vote has gone to the winning candidate, except for Al Gore in 2000. This year 41 per cent of Catholics are independents - up from 30 per cent in 2004. Psephologists claim practising Catholics were the decisive factor in the crucial swing states in 2004: in Ohio 65 per cent of Catholics voted for Bush, in Florida 66 per cent. They were drifting away in disillusionment from the Republicans and split 50-50, until Joe Biden worked his magic. This is electoral suicide by the Democrats.
45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2008, 12:03 PM

The article notes that one exception
Ok, so your claim was correct except for the fact that it was wrong. You should see about a job working for the McCain campaign, you'd fit right in.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 12:07 PM

Sorry, I already work for O'bama
45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2008, 12:09 PM

Sorry, I already work for O'bama
Ahhh... just like the rest of the bumbling McCain/Palin campaign. You all are doing a bang up job for our guy- keep up the good work!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2008, 12:12 PM

There was an interesting comment on that blog:

It should read, "Biden loses "official" catholic support"
Since about 95% of so-called catholics are protestants when it comes to birth control - i.e. they use it.
Just because a few Catholic Bishops may be taking a stance doesn't mean that Catholics as a whole will go along with it.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 09:04 PM

Biden evidently grabbed a male reporter's chest and commented on his pecs. People are beginning to speculate that this homoerotic act could spark gay accusations. (Accusations that he is gay, not accusations that are gay in the colloquial sense)

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2008, 06:26 PM

This is a stupid thread. No one would dump a candidate over this. Molehills, etc...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2008, 07:43 PM

I don't know, I thought the "accusations that are gay in the colloquial sense" clarification was worth the whole thing.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 10:43 AM

Did Biden hand McCain the election on a silver platter?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpiNfuG8YY8
"Mark my words," Biden told donors at a Seattle fund-raiser Sunday night.

"It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America.

"Watch. We're going to have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy.

"And he's going to need help . . . to stand with him. Because it's not going to be apparent initially; it's not going to be apparent that we're right."
Combing this quote with Hillary's "3 am" ad will drive this point home.
( Last edited by Chongo; Oct 21, 2008 at 10:56 AM. )
45/47

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 11:00 AM

Outrage! I can feel it!

The election is surely over now!

Seriously, what does that even mean? Why would it signal the election being over? It sounds to me like he just phrased something poorly.

Are you trying to say that the democrats are going to manufacture some sort of disaster or something? What is the controversy?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Outrage! I can feel it!

The election is surely over now!

Seriously, what does that even mean? Why would it signal the election being over? It sounds to me like he just phrased something poorly.

Are you trying to say that the democrats are going to manufacture some sort of disaster or something? What is the controversy?
From Nealz Nuze
What he is really getting at is the international community sees Barack Obama as weak ... they want to test him because they want to know the type of America they will be dealing with for the next 4-8 years – an appeasement, cut-and-run America or a stand-up-and-fight America. Based on the history of Joe Biden and the little bit that we know of Barack Obama's foreign policy philosophy ... which America do you think they will choose?
45/47

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 11:30 AM

So how does this change anything? I don't get it? Biden says it and suddenly it's true? Like he's a prophet or something?

You're insinuating that no one would dare try anything with McCain at the lead, but if we elect Obama all of the nations of the world will consider it open season to do anything they wish?

You're grasping at straws.

Anyway, I thought the proper conservative response to someone bringing up how a certain president would be viewed internationally was to say.... "Who cares. We're America! It's not a popularity contest! USA! USA! USA! Number 1!"

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 11:51 AM

since the opinions of former Secretarys of State hold so much weight.
Albright Agrees with Biden: Terrorists Will Test Obama
45/47

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 11:56 AM

Well, a vote for Obama may as well be a vote for bloated dead bodies littering the streets. It's so obvious now.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 11:58 AM

Sarcasm, the first refuge...
45/47

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2008, 12:08 PM

Actually, whoever's voted in will face a terrorist test. Happened to the last three presidents.

Whether it's all CIA orchestrated to plump up the Prez in the eyes of the people or not is a different question.

Forum Links
Forum Rules