Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Arrgh - Airport says it's working... but isn't

Arrgh - Airport says it's working... but isn't
flabasha
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2009, 04:35 AM

Hey all,

My airport extreme base station was working quite well, thank you, until a few days ago. Nothing happened externally, just all of a sudden, when I try to connect to the internet, it won't. I'm connected via Ethernet, and when I bypass the Airport base station and plug the modem straight into the computer, all is good, so I know it's not the modem.

And when I run the Diagnostics... Ethernet, Network Settings and ISP are all green... but Internet and Server are red.

I've reinstalled the last Airport updates. I've copied the DNS server numbers from when I'm connected without Airport, and tried to plug them in when Airport is back in the chain. I've hard reset the Airport and tried to start a network from scratch, but still no go. When the setup finishes, it says I'm connected, but again, can't load a page... and Diagnostics shows the same red lights for Internet and Server...

Any ideas? They'd be most appreciated, I'm fresh out of 'em.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 6, 2009, 08:10 PM

Have you done anything like resetting your modem? Did you actually UNPLUG power to the AirPort Extreme for a few minutes? (A reset may not be enough of a "cold boot" to undo anything that needs undoing.) And what sort of broadband connection do you have? If it's a cable connection, all you may have to do is unplug power to the modem, connect the Extreme again, then plug the modem back in...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

flabasha  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2009, 04:57 AM

Yeah, I've powered them both down for an hour, alternately, then together. They just come back the same way. I do have a cable modem, though, if that sparks anything troubleshooting wise...

Forum Links
Forum Rules