Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car journalist's son crashes $180000 loaner Porsche (pix)

Car journalist's son crashes $180000 loaner Porsche (pix)
Eug
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2010, 05:46 PM

Ouch.

Congratulations on your son’s Ferris Bueller moment

Will stuck his head into the office and asked me if he could show his buddy the Turbo. I told him to go ahead. He and his friends always checked out my cars. Their main focus seemed to be the interior and stereo systems – details I barely cared about.

Before (complete with lens flares):

After:

Somehow they managed to get away with only $11000 damage though.

reader50
Administrator
May 20, 2010, 06:28 PM

Impressive. Appropriate pic, if that is the kid peeking around the door pillar. Add another $2700 for the garage door repair.

I'll bet the writer had left it in gear.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2010, 06:29 PM

You have to laugh about that. I'd yell a little, make him work to pay the deductible, and teach him how to drive a stick... Well, I guess that's what the journalist is doing about the whole thing too. At least the kid wasn't hurt, except for his pride. It's a great lesson for him.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Congratulations on your son’s Ferris Bueller moment[/url]
It was his friend Cameran that destroyed the Ferrari.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 20, 2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4 View Post
It was his friend Cameran that destroyed the Ferrari.
right; but the OP's story tag line was referencing the movie and what happened in it...not point out who in the movie did it. just a quick way to put a picture in peoples heads. not explain in exact detail everything

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 20, 2010, 08:10 PM

saying son pulled a cameran may not work for many people. but putting ferris bueller in there and bam!

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 20, 2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post

Which, to give him credit, is the correct thing to do for a parked car with stick gear. I learned to drive in a stick car and that was one of the lessons.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
IIRC, don't stick shift cars have a switch to prevent them from being started in gear?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
IIRC, don't stick shift cars have a switch to prevent them from being started in gear?
Yep, pretty much every modern car. If Porsche doesn't do that, it's a major oversight. But I remember moving a Boxster with a shot clutch that had such a sensor, why doesn't this car? I don't think it's truly the kids fault. I doubt he intended to turn the car on. And if Porsche uses VW and Audi's ridiculously stupid "push button" start (which requires you to insert the key for a certain amount of time to start the car, and is nearly impossible to start the electrics unless you hold it for the exact amount of time), then the kid probably had no clue.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
May 20, 2010, 10:11 PM

Uhh,

They have switches that make you put the clutch in, but if you're parked in gear like you should be, start the car with clutch in, then release clutch...well, there goes your porsche.

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 20, 2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Uhh,

They have switches that make you put the clutch in, but if you're parked in gear like you should be, start the car with clutch in, then release clutch...well, there goes your porsche.

That's probably exactly what happened. If you try to start a stick car while in gear, very little actually happens.

The starter motor is designed to turn the engine over, not to move the car for more than a short hop and nowhere near powerful enough to cause the damage shown. The worst that can happen is a dented bumper if you're parked too close to another car.

PB2K
Mac Elite
May 21, 2010, 03:34 AM

this happened to a dutchcelebrity's Bugatti EB110 when a carmechanic tried to drive it to it's checkup location

when you floor a 500+HP car it's like you're on ice, not for the unprepared
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

is not
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2010, 01:44 PM

Well Michael Schumacher is selling his yellow Bugatti EB110 at €600,000

Forum Links
Forum Rules