Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why do women wear high heels?

Why do women wear high heels?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 01:36 AM

Tonight I saw this young women on a very cold night try to walk down the street in a skirt and high heels with help from her boyfriend. It got me thinking, why oh why do women do this sort of thing?

I don't know about you guys, but high heels do not really enhance beauty for me. In fact, they kind of do the opposite. To be honest, I think they are kind of a pathetic way to get attention knowing how painful and uncomfortable they are. I've read that a number of women who have worn high heels for a long period of time have had major foot problems, and certainly bunions.

Even leaving aside the impractical aspect to high heels, the so-called beauty enhancement still doesn't do much for me. I don't need high heels to recognize beauty in a women, and I certainly don't understand why women with boyfriends go through this trouble. The enhancement from this sort of thing is sort of like wearing a pretty purse, I don't really care, it's not something I notice. There are so many other ways to look good.

Why, after all these years, do women still go through this sort of trouble? Do high heels not seem silly to other people, particularly watching women hobble around in them?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 12, 2009, 01:40 AM

To be taller.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
To be taller.

How many of you find taller women more attractive? Another thing I don't really care about...

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2009, 01:44 AM

Calf muscles.

End of line.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Calf muscles.

End of line.

Calf muscles? Really? I don't know any guy that has gone on about how hot a girl's calf muscles were...

Why don't guys do these sorts of ridiculous things to show off their muscles? I know more girls that are attracted to muscles on men...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2009, 01:52 AM

They make their legs look longer.. And sexier.. And they seem to add a little something to the derrière..

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
They make their legs look longer.. And sexier.. And they seem to add a little something to the derrière..
Yeah, that's my understanding of the primary rationale too... Still doesn't really do much for me for perhaps the same way that makeup doesn't really either.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 02:09 AM

Have you ever considered that you may actually be gay, Bess?

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How many of you find taller women more attractive?
Yes. Doof don't date under 5'6".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2009, 02:18 AM

Even leaving aside the impractical aspect to high heels, the so-called beauty enhancement still doesn't do much for me. I don't need high heels to recognize beauty in a women,
For heaven's sake just come out of the closet already
Women in heels are great. It elongates the legs, causes the calf muscle to flex giving the leg more curve, and make their ass look better.
Platform heels are trashy but then they are great for a different reason.

and I certainly don't understand why women with boyfriends go through this trouble. The enhancement from this sort of thing is sort of like wearing a pretty purse, I don't really care, it's not something I notice. There are so many other ways to look good.
Maybe its because you are socially inept.
Women dress for other women as a form of establishing social hierarchy as much as they dress to attract men.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Have you ever considered that you may actually be gay, Bess?

Yes. Doof don't date under 5'6".

Aren't you the guy that wears pink jammies? I'm a pretty feminine sort of guy, but I very much like my girl parts.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
For heaven's sake just come out of the closet already
Women in heels are great. It elongates the legs, causes the calf muscle to flex giving the leg more curve, and make their ass look better.
Platform heels are trashy but then they are great for a different reason.

Maybe its because you are socially inept.
Women dress for other women as a form of establishing social hierarchy as much as they dress to attract men.

It's comforting to know that a thread about incredibly controversial and emotive subjects such as high heels bring about insults...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2009, 02:30 AM

It's comforting to know that a thread about incredibly controversial and emotive subjects such as high heels bring about insults...
It's Captain Obvious. It's what he does.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2009, 02:34 AM

That's due to the fact of the sheer stupidity of the question presented.

The subject may as well be, "why do women try to be more attractive than they naturally are?"

Its one of those self evident answers that the person who needed the topic explained to them should be euthanized to put them out of their misery.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
It's Captain Obvious. It's what he does.

I'm starting to pick up on this pattern. Insulting people on the internet is such a productive thing to do, isn't it?

I know that women wear high heels because they think it makes them more attractive, I mean duh, who doesn't know that? My point is that I don't think the gains justify the incredible discomfort and aggravation, and I wonder why so many women still go through with this.

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2009, 03:02 AM

No, you're changing the subject. The original poster clearly does not believe that high heels necessarily make women more attractive.

Going along with the insults, I guess you are just so insecure that you aren't even going to suggest a poll to see if your personal preferences are shared by the majority.

Personally, I believe that high heels look silly and unattractive and that low or medium heels look more natural.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by skipjack View Post
No, you're changing the subject. The original poster clearly does not believe that high heels necessarily make women more attractive.

That and whatever is gained does not justify the discomfort, inconvenience, foot problems, etc.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 03:09 AM

Isn't it sort of ironic that high heels to some people suggest a sense of confidence in a women? Couldn't you argue that they suggest the opposite, that they feel so insecure about their own appearance that they are willing to put themselves through discomfort and great inconvenience just for any possible advantage?

To me a beautiful women is a confident women that is comfortable in their own skin and does not need makeup, heels, cosmetic surgery, or any other sort of artificial add-ons to emphasize what is already there. To me personally, often times these sort of things produce the opposite effect in a very plastic and inorganic sort of attempt to create beauty, sort of like a fake tan.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2009, 06:06 AM

I don't find women in high heels to be more attractive than they regularly are without them. Every time my wife wears a pair, I think "why is she wearing those?" I don't know why, but high heels look old fashioned, and somewhat trashy to me. They remind me of corner prostitutes from the movies.

Flats are great, IMO. No need for high heels.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2009, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
No need for high heels.
Seconded

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2009, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post

I don't get it what does that prove? When were you told it was commonplace for women wear heels with sweatshirts? Or on an airplane flight where the air pressure causes a person's extremities to swell? On the same page you see pictures of the same woman in a variety of high heels so she isn't an exception to the rule.

It doesn't really matter that any one of you rejects the look individually. It is considered attractive by the overwhelming majority of Western Society. If and when it does fall out of favor it will be replaced by something equally constricting or objectionable to you.

Asking "why wear heels" is a stupid question. If it wasn't that it would simply be something else. Foot binding, neck rings, full body tattoos, and even corsets... these sorts of physical compromises in the name of beauty and status are not going anywhere. Asking for justification as to why it hasn't fallen out of practice is mental masturbation which really explains how this discussion came about. Its the poster's favorite and only pastime. I mean really, now you shoot off on a tangent about makeup? I am sure the use of cosmetics is just about over. A trend can only last so long and 5000 years is just about enough of that.

And yes, you did shift away from the original subject. You always do when people point out the inanity of your original posts. You knew the answer as to why women do it. You reiterated it a couple of posts later.

If you don't like it then look the other way when you see it on a woman. Date a fat girl or hippies who reject these antiquated sexist ideals of beauty. They need love too so it may as well be you who gives it to them. The rest of the planet doesn't give a crap that you think its archaic and silly. Women and now more commonly men are going to manipulate their physical appearance in an effort to look more appealing until our species is extinct. The only way that your view will be taken seriously is to remove yourself from mainstream society.

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Every time my wife wears a pair, I think "why is she wearing those?"
Flats are great, IMO. No need for high heels.
Maybe she is wearing them because she feels more attractive? Or maybe she isn't wearing them for you. Next time she does ask her to change them for flats for you because you don't see a reason for her to have them on and let us know how long the cackle of laughter lasts.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Dec 12, 2009 at 08:05 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 12, 2009, 08:20 AM

High heels are one thing. Extra-high heels on shoes that jam the toes into some unnatural shape (the extra pointy shoes are the ones that are the most odd to me) are what I don't understand. They must be uncomfortable pretty much right away, yet women buy and wear them.

I'm convinced that most "designers" of women's clothing and shoes are gay men that despise women in general and their creations are intended to make their customers look stupid and experience significant amounts of pain.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm convinced that most "designers" of women's clothing and shoes are gay men that despise women in general and their creations are intended to make their customers look stupid and experience significant amounts of pain.
And most mag editors, who give those designs a yay or nay (and thus either make or break the designer's career), are women.
( Last edited by Doofy; Dec 12, 2009 at 10:13 AM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 09:36 AM

To me a beautiful women is a confident women that is comfortable in their own skin and does not need makeup, heels, cosmetic surgery, or any other sort of artificial add-ons to emphasize what is already there.
I trust that your Mrs walks around naked all the time then Bess? Clothes are an artificial add-on to emphasise what's already there.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2009, 10:09 AM

the women i've been with; wore them to feel more sexy and desirable. heels/hose are a huge turn on for me, and they wanted me to be all hot and bothered when they wore them. knowing how i was feeling, made them feel even more sexy and confident about it.

a common outfit for most woman is that special dress (usually referred to as that "little black dress"), a nice set of heels and nylons and usually a special piece of jewelry to go with it. very elegant, very classy, very feminine. and a HUGE turn on

my soon to be wife, loves going out and dressing up, just for those very reasons. be it weddings, parties or special nights out. it isn't an every week or even every month situation, but when we do...it just makes both of us feel so much better about our physical and emotional feelings toward each other.

and as for the other side, the slutty/extreme bedroom/dress up stuff. that is also very fun/exciting and is shared between me and her privately.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2009, 10:41 AM

Captain Obvious, I was only posting it as my personal preference, just like everybody else, and gracing the thread with the vicinity of her presence since today is her birthday. Had I liked women wearing high heels I could easily have linked to any of those picts you're talking about and maybe getting your approval even when posting such a random pict adds nothing to all this. Sure, nobody asked my opinion on such issue since it is mostly irrelevant as I don't have any subconscious roadmap to woman's brain, but I think it is fair to say that it doesn't prevent me from posting a harmless link that might have added a 5/10ths of a second page loading delay without being scrutinized in such a way.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2009, 02:33 PM

Get your girl, and both of you sit on the couch with your feet on the coffee table. Notice how your ugly feet more or less bend at the ankle, while your girl's feet are practically a straight continuation of their legs. Sexy, and it lends itself well to a pair of high heels. Nothing like a pair of pretty feet/legs. High heels are just one more device to accent and enhance a certain subtle grace of the female body. I think I'm being obvious here, but I just wanted to talk about girl parts for a moment, what the hell.

hayesk
Dec 12, 2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Have you ever considered that you may actually be not superficial, Bess?
Fixed™

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
Get your girl, and both of you sit on the couch with your feet on the coffee table. Notice how your ugly feet more or less bend at the ankle, while your girl's feet are practically a straight continuation of their legs. Sexy, and it lends itself well to a pair of high heels. Nothing like a pair of pretty feet/legs. High heels are just one more device to accent and enhance a certain subtle grace of the female body. I think I'm being obvious here, but I just wanted to talk about girl parts for a moment, what the hell.

I don't think that women who don't wear heels all the time have feet that are shaped drastically different than a man's in this respect. I would argue that women whose feet are a straight continuation of their legs have "deformed" feet.

Hey, women and men to a lesser extent have been doing all sorts of uncomfortable things in the name of beauty for centuries. I just don't understand the heels in particular in light of how uncomfortable they must be, not to mention awkward and inconvenient. I actually have an easier time understanding the body piercings and tattoos and stuff like that - at least this discomfort goes away.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 12, 2009, 05:05 PM

But do heels lead to discomfort and deformation in all cases? If not, I'm not sure if your argument against them has a leg to stand on.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 05:13 PM

Wear them enough and I don't see how they couldn't, just the same way that people that practice ballet for a long time often have feet that change, people who wear shoes that squish their toes together often change the shape of their toes, people who wear uncomfortable shoes develop bunions, bone spurs, etc. If you put parts of your body in formations that are not natural for long enough, things change.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 05:14 PM

There are even products like this that address these sorts of foot problems.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Fixed™
Oh puurlease. Bess knows he's just as gay as the next Kanadian.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2009, 06:30 PM

It's about competition with other women.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2009, 06:41 PM

I don't think that women who don't wear heels all the time have feet that are shaped drastically different than a man's in this respect. I would argue that women whose feet are a straight continuation of their legs have "deformed" feet.

Hey, women and men to a lesser extent have been doing all sorts of uncomfortable things in the name of beauty for centuries. I just don't understand the heels in particular in light of how uncomfortable they must be, not to mention awkward and inconvenient. I actually have an easier time understanding the body piercings and tattoos and stuff like that - at least this discomfort goes away.
I used to assume the difference in a woman's foot was caused by wearing high heels, but I have known women who never wear them and have the same beautiful lines in their foot profile. It's going to vary a bit from female to female, but not much according to my rather rapt observations over the years.

Go ahead, have your wife sit on the couch or something, put her feet up. Bet they're pretty straight.

As for comfort/discomfort with high heels, hell i dunno. I'd bet most women feel sexy in a pair and are willing to tolerate it, if indeed there is discomfort for that particular woman.

This reminds me of the late 70's or so when Candies shoes first happened. Made practically any woman's legs look sexy.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 12, 2009, 06:58 PM

Wear them enough and I don't see how they couldn't, just the same way that people that practice ballet for a long time often have feet that change, people who wear shoes that squish their toes together often change the shape of their toes, people who wear uncomfortable shoes develop bunions, bone spurs, etc. If you put parts of your body in formations that are not natural for long enough, things change.
That's like ragging on someone for smoking because it's terrible and harmful and stupid and why would you do it when they have a cig or two a week.

I'm awaiting your next "I don't get [some faction of popular culture/though]" thread.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2009, 07:02 PM

My g/f never wears heels but she got some for our friends wedding...it was hot as hell and there is no reason why, it just is.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar;3915198

I'm awaiting your next "I don't get [some faction of popular culture/though
" thread.
Ooo, wanton disrespect. What's up with that?

I would hope he continues to do so. It's a welcome respite from the usual march of humanity who wander through life without questioning, just accepting and adjusting to the status quo and congratulating themselves for "being in the know". Intelligent people question everything and are not afraid to look foolish, considering that they know we are all fools anyway.

And this thread needs a visual aid.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
Ooo, wanton disrespect. What's up with that?
I haven't figured out exactly why he insists on carrying his grudge towards me (for whatever I did to warrant this) from thread to thread, but I don't mind it so much. It's more odd than anything else. Thanks for your kind words though.

Maybe my problem is that I honestly don't really see any beauty in those legs. They are too puny and frail looking, and for some reason high heels remind me of older women. I haven't really figured out why the look doesn't appeal to me, but it seems like I'm not alone.

Let me ask you this, of all of the things that a woman could do to look good: hair, makeup, clothes, nails, jewelry, accessories, whitened teeth, tanned skin, piercings, tattoos, and shoes, which of these things appeal to you the most? How would you rank them?

Me, I don't care about makeup, nails, jewelry, accessories, or shoes, and fake tans actually revolt me for some reason.
( Last edited by besson3c; Dec 12, 2009 at 10:12 PM. )

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2009, 09:57 PM

Maybe she is wearing them because she feels more attractive? Or maybe she isn't wearing them for you. Next time she does ask her to change them for flats for you because you don't see a reason for her to have them on and let us know how long the cackle of laughter lasts.
I never said it was for me, you tool. I know that she wears them for herself, and I assume that most other women do as well. She feels prettier/sexier in them because that is what she has been told all of her life (through the media). They do nothing for me, and I don't see a reason for them. That is all I was saying. Get off your high horse and come back down to the world where people other than yourself have opinions as well.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 09:58 PM

Oh and Laminar, if you sass me one more time I will take away your mod privileges at Fuzzy Wombat. Don't make me do it!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 10:01 PM

Oh well, as far as foot deformation goes, I guess it is a step or two up from deforming the shape of your skull, wearing those crazy piercings that stretch your skin, or making your foot smaller looking by forcing your toes to grow downwards. What other crazy things have men and women done in the history of the Earth in the name of beauty? I'm sure I could think of some more things if I sat down and thought about it...

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2009, 10:08 PM

The neck rings are the craziest that I can think of. Some of those older women that do this have like a 2 foot neck because of all of the rings they wear!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2009, 09:13 AM

I very much like my girl parts.
I always suspected you were really a woman....

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2009, 01:27 PM

Heels make the legs curve in what is apparently a more sexy manner.

Frankly I think that most female appearance expectations are completely insane. I do wear heels once in awhile, but all the ones I own are comfortable and not that stiletto crap that requires you to balance the weight of your body on a freaking single point.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2009, 02:10 PM

Bingo.

Establishing their superiority to other women in being sexy (thus being able to attract a more desirable mate) is the reason women wear high heels. It is much more of a signal to other women to say "Watch Out!" than it is an attractor for men.

Of course, I am weird and have a thing for women in red leather clogs (bjorns is the brand?). A women in a pair of rocking jeans wearing red leather clogs and a snug wool sweater will do WAY more for me than seeing the same woman in a slinky dress and heels.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Bingo.

Establishing their superiority to other women in being sexy (thus being able to attract a more desirable mate) is the reason women wear high heels. It is much more of a signal to other women to say "Watch Out!" than it is an attractor for men.

Of course, I am weird and have a thing for women in red leather clogs (bjorns is the brand?). A women in a pair of rocking jeans wearing red leather clogs and a snug wool sweater will do WAY more for me than seeing the same woman in a slinky dress and heels.

I'm not so sure. Why do old married women wear them then? Do you really think they are trying to compete with other women?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2009, 02:48 PM

Looking good is very important to most women. Married or not.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2009, 03:43 PM

Yeah, I guess... It's just amazing to me that so many people seem blinded to the tradeoffs of their beauty, whether it is heels, trying to make yourself thin and bony looking, cosmetic surgery, or whatever.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2009, 10:48 PM

Has it ever occurred to you that this might be a matter of personal preference?

So high heels don't do anything for you, good for you. Now move on. There are plenty of men, myself included, who love the look of a girl in heels.

Medium high heels, a little black dress and a couple of small but sparkly diamonds are pretty much favourite ideal look on a woman. I love it when my wife dresses up like that. She in return loves me in a tux.
( Last edited by Phileas; Dec 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 13, 2009, 11:11 PM

The worst thing a woman can do in wearing heels is to not know how to walk in them. Any "allure" or other attractiveness that comes from those shoes evaporates as soon as she tries to walk and goes lurching along, or totters on the heel every time she tries to take a step. A woman that knows how to walk in heels will look good in them, even if she has other "static" issues that might be thought of as negatives.

So, a "little black dress" and the right shoes go a long way, but the nicest dress in the world will look bad on a woman who everyone is afraid is going to break her ankle any second now.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules