Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Looking for software which will let me edit a .mkv filename

Looking for software which will let me edit a .mkv filename
Danaldinho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2010, 08:34 AM

Hey,

I have a .mkv file on my iMac and when I rename it, it works but it also doesn't work.

I rename it by clicking on the .mkv file and clicking Get Info, then I can enter in the new file name there.

But then when I did open the file in VLC Player, it shows the original file name which is something stupid like "dizo".

I'm looking for a program which will let me edit this file name properly (hope that made sense).

Appreciate any help you can give me, thanks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2010, 08:59 AM

Renaming a file in the Finder or "Get Info" dialog is perfectly fine and normally works.

I'm not sure if MKV format supports some sort of Title that is retained from an original filename. That's what you want to edit, not the filename. This has nothing to do with OS X and the Finder.

-t

Danaldinho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Renaming a file in the Finder or "Get Info" dialog is perfectly fine and normally works.

I'm not sure if MKV format supports some sort of Title that is retained from an original filename. That's what you want to edit, not the filename. This has nothing to do with OS X and the Finder.

-t
Hey t,

Let me show you an example: http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/2726/examplepl.jpg

I am watching the .mkv file in VLC Player and as you can see, the file name is "dzinko".

But if you look underneath the actual video, I have highlighted what I have called the file name... but it just doesn't seem to show

Also, in the VLC Player playlist, I added another music video which works fine with the file name.

Is this any more help to what the error is? Or do you still think it's a problem with the title?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2010, 10:22 AM

As Turtle said you are seeing title of the video, not the filename. The title is stored as metadata inside the mkv container (file). Unfortunately I don't know of any tool that edits the metadata of an mkv file.

If you are so inclined, you can convert the video to a more friendly mp4 container format using Handbrake and then edit the metadata to your hearts content with MetaX.

Danaldinho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
As Turtle said you are seeing title of the video, not the filename. The title is stored as metadata inside the mkv container (file). Unfortunately I don't know of any tool that edits the metadata of an mkv file.

If you are so inclined, you can convert the video to a more friendly mp4 container format using Handbrake and then edit the metadata to your hearts content with MetaX.
Okay thanks, I will try that.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2010, 03:14 PM

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2010, 03:14 PM

and it is intel only

reader50
Administrator
Aug 24, 2010, 03:24 PM

You can find some real Universal builds here.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks! I will check

Forum Links
Forum Rules