Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Appleworks 6.2.9 just gets even stranger

Appleworks 6.2.9 just gets even stranger
Ham Sandwich
Oct 28, 2010, 04:50 PM

So I still use Appleworks, since it works on 10.6... or so I thought.

It seems like whenever I install (reinstall) Appleworks on any of my machines using 10.5 or 10.6, some really strange series of problems keep popping up with the software.

During the old days, I would have to keep trashing my preferences because of the fatal "Save" bug which wouldn't save an open document.

I remember back in 10.5, I had to reinstall Appleworks twice to get it to load.

Now in 10.6, I am encountering the following problems:

[1] When using Drawing, when I am done inserting text into the Drawing document window, I can no longer edit that text, because Appleworks treats it as an image.

[2] Sometimes, I cannot access Appleworks preferences, because the pop-up windows are all blank. Relaunching the application often remedies the issue.

[3] Sometimes, when I use the "Find" feature in a spreadsheet, and then I click on another application, and work on that, there is a 10-second CPU lag whenever I click back and forth between Appleworks. I have to relaunch the program to remedy the lag. This is a new problem.

[4] At least I have not had the "Save" bug for quite a few years.

I still use Appleworks, because I need to access spreadsheet data at lightning fast speed. NeoOffice is painfully long and bulky, and I do not use Excel. So, I'm thinking of doing a fresh CD installation of Appleworks. There's a problem: I have an older install of Appleworks (6.0.4), but that requires Mac OS 9.1, and I can't use the .smi file to then re-update to Appleworks 6.2.9. So, I can't use the CD to install Appleworks on Mac OS X.
What's going on with the application? I feel like there's a virus in the application now.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Oct 28, 2010 at 06:46 PM. )

Thorzdad
Oct 28, 2010, 05:32 PM

Appleworks was a PPC-only app, so it can only run using Rosetta in 10.6.x. Some AW users report no problems, while other report many problems when trying to run AW in Snow Leopard. That seems to be par for the course, when it comes to Rosetta. Simply put, AW was not designed to run in Snow Leopard, so it's totally possible/probable you are going to have problems.

Apple's official stand, of course, is that AW users should move over to iWork.

ibook_steve
Oct 29, 2010, 09:52 AM

You're expecting an almost 10 year old application that hasn't been updated in ages to work perfectly in a modern operating system on a computer that uses a completely different processor than what the software was designed for? Here, I'll go get my IBM punch cards and my original MacPaint floppy and see if they can be read into Snow Leopard.

Sorry, but seriously, what are you hoping for? Your best bet really is to move over to iWork. It's speedy, easy to use, and familiar if you are used to Appleworks.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

-Q-
Oct 29, 2010, 10:04 AM

Either buy an old machine with an OS that AppleWorks supports, or buy iWork (or Office or something). It's time has passed.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2010, 11:09 AM

Older AppleWorks documents won't translate to iWork - you'd have to re-save them all in a newer version.

Also, iWork doesn't include a database application, which is a big reason I still see AW in use.

Anybody know whether Bento imports AppleWorks databases?

-Q-
Oct 29, 2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Anybody know whether Bento imports AppleWorks databases?
They say it does: AppleWorks And Bento | FileMaker

And they do offer a free download to give it a try.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
I still use Appleworks, because I need to access spreadsheet data at lightning fast speed.
You might wanna rething your strategy.

All your "lightning fast" goes to hell with all the issues of a 10 year old software.

-t

Ham Sandwich
Nov 1, 2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
You're expecting an almost 10 year old application that hasn't been updated in ages to work perfectly in a modern operating system on a computer that uses a completely different processor than what the software was designed for? Here, I'll go get my IBM punch cards and my original MacPaint floppy and see if they can be read into Snow Leopard.
Well excuse me, I didn't realize I would have to deal with snobby moderator attitudes like over at MacRumors. That's why I left that hellhole 7 years ago.

Edit: But then again, it's not like I would ever know that their forums exist, since they fail to load half the time I'm over there. Those morons have been having "server error" issues for the past 6 years and still can't get the problem fixed.

Appleworks works with Rosetta, so I was glad to find that I could open my spreadsheets fast.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
All your "lightning fast" goes to hell with all the issues of a 10 year old software.
Not really. Yes, I know, Rosetta != fast, but if I keep Appleworks open and switch back and forth between spreadsheets, then each sheet opens in less than a second.
See my point?

If I want a fast (pref. free) spreadsheet program, other than Appleworks, that still has most/all of its current features, then is there something other than Numbers that I can use?

Oh, and: How well does Numbers behave with Excel spreadsheets? I need to work with Excel, but I'd rather use Numbers... and I'd rather wait for iWork 11.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Nov 3, 2010 at 10:33 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Nov 1, 2010, 02:30 PM

Appleworks appears to be abandonware today, so various sites consider it safe to redistribute. You might try the AW6 install packages on Macintosh Garden, which offers Mac abandonware. They have a 6.2.4 installer, which may be high enough.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Oh, and: How well does Numbers behave with Excel spreadsheets?
Do you really think Excel support in Numbers could be WORSE than in AppleWorks ?

I doubt AppleWorks supports the current XLSX format.

-t

ibook_steve
Nov 1, 2010, 05:26 PM

Sorry, I was pretty tired when I wrote that.

But still, if even Apple has abandoned it, it seems like it's time to move on to something else. iWork seems like your best bet. Of course you could wait until the next version, but the current version should satisfy all your needs.

Steve

Ham Sandwich
Nov 2, 2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Do you really think Excel support in Numbers could be WORSE than in AppleWorks ?

I doubt AppleWorks supports the current XLSX format.

-t
Right but I was asking particularly about how well Numbers cooperates with complicated Excel documents, and also how well Pages interprets Word documents.

I don't expect Appleworks to support Numbers documents, or Numbers to support Appleworks documents.

Jim Stevenson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2011, 09:14 PM

Will AppleWorks 6.2.9 install on my new MacBook Pro running the Snow Leopard (10.6) operating system? I just purchased AppleWorks 6.0.2 but when I try to install it I get an error message saying that installer can't open because the Classic environment is no longer supported. I have lots of old ClarisWorks spreadsheets but no way to open them. My old G5 iBook died (either hard drive or logic board failure), so I have no way to move my old AppleWorks program from my old computer to my new one.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 17, 2011, 11:51 PM

OK folks. You all need to STOP using AppleWorks. All of your documents are going to be broken one day, and you'll have NO way to open them. It's dead. It's not supported. It doesn't work properly with 10.6 (and probably 10.5...) The *only* thing you should be doing with AppleWorks is using it to save your documents in a format that something CURRENT can open.

I think I have an installer that will work for you at work, Jim. I'll see how big it is tomorrow and if it's feasible to get it to you.

edit: You can call this "Snobby Moderator Attitude", but facts are facts. Sticking with AppleWorks is going to bite you in the ass.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2011, 12:36 AM

But it does so much more! Real solutions not empty excuses!

In all seriousness, you can probably use Pacifist (link in my sig) to pull AppleWorks from the old iBook's install discs, if you still have them. I wouldn't plan on using it for much other than converting old files, though.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2011, 03:09 AM

Wow. That was a funny thread - thanks for the link!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2011, 09:30 AM

O/T: could someone help me getting Conflict Catcher installed on OS X 10.6 ? TIA.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2011, 10:00 AM

Hil-larious. I love the poster who said he just purchased it too.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ibook_steve
Mar 18, 2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Stevenson View Post
Will AppleWorks 6.2.9 install on my new MacBook Pro running the Snow Leopard (10.6) operating system? I just purchased AppleWorks 6.0.2 but when I try to install it I get an error message saying that installer can't open because the Classic environment is no longer supported. I have lots of old ClarisWorks spreadsheets but no way to open them. My old G5 iBook died (either hard drive or logic board failure), so I have no way to move my old AppleWorks program from my old computer to my new one.

It's dead, Jim.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2011, 02:11 PM

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules