Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Umax c500, OS 9.0.4 & iTunes???

Umax c500, OS 9.0.4 & iTunes???
ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2002, 05:53 PM

Found a Umax c500 on eBay for cheap- and it's missing everything I already have- a monitor, mouse, keyboard, power cord and hard drive (my old iMac 4gb hard drive). Your opinions please on whether or not this machine would handle MP3 playback as a jukebox. It's got a 200 MHZ 603E processor, and I don't know how much memory it's got or how much it can take. Would it also handle streaming MP3 audio via a cable internent connection (such as from an online radio station). I searched the forums and it seems as if this machine would handle this but I would like another couple of opinions. I have an extra Bondi iMac I thought of using for this task, but I really want something I can hide under the desk and also have the ability to turn off the monitor (not just make it sleep). Plus my sister in law is eyeing the "extra" iMac! Also, will my old iMac hard drive (4gb IDE) go in here? I think it will, based on the info in the auction. Only two days left on the auction- please respond!

Thanks.

Val

Carolus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2002, 11:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ValVashon:
[QB]Found a Umax c500 on eBay for cheap-

Tricky stuff ;-)

Remember that any MacOS above 8.1 is not supported on these clones,
due to different motherboard and system-enablers issues, etc.
You might be able to run OS 8.5/8.6 on these machines somehow,
but not every feature might be supported.

There should be some tech-info about these machines in the former
Apple Tech Info Library (TIL)-Archives, since Apple once incorporated
Umax'old support library in their own TIL.

I do'nt know for sure, but I think these are SCSI machines,
with normally HDT (Hard Disk Toolkit) formatted SCSI drives...

If you want to team-up with your iMac, It's probably better to go for an old Apple PM 4400 with IDE-drive (and capable of running OS 9 also;
although you should go for a configuration with 64 MB ram if possible).

Good luck ,

cheers Carolus
* iBook 600 *
and loads of oldie Macs ;-)

sinfonian94
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 10:55 PM

Val,
What the other person said about the official support of a Umax clone with OS9 is true, but I've been running OS9 on my C600 since I bought it off of eBay a couple years ago. Just so you know, the C600 uses the same motherboard as the C500 (I have one of those, too), but has a tower enclosure, and a riser card with more pci slots, and room for more hard drives and such.
As far as the hard drive, as long as it's an EIDE it should work fine. I've got about 80meg of ram in my C600 right now. I can't remember the specific limit on ram, but you can find the specs on www.everymac.com. Honestly, a C500 should do a great job as a MP3 jukebox running OS9. I personally recommend Soundjam for MP3 software. Hope this was helpful.

Chris

Originally posted by ValVashon:
<STRONG>Found a Umax c500 on eBay for cheap- and it's missing everything I already have- a monitor, mouse, keyboard, power cord and hard drive (my old iMac 4gb hard drive). Your opinions please on whether or not this machine would handle MP3 playback as a jukebox. It's got a 200 MHZ 603E processor, and I don't know how much memory it's got or how much it can take. Would it also handle streaming MP3 audio via a cable internent connection (such as from an online radio station). I searched the forums and it seems as if this machine would handle this but I would like another couple of opinions. I have an extra Bondi iMac I thought of using for this task, but I really want something I can hide under the desk and also have the ability to turn off the monitor (not just make it sleep). Plus my sister in law is eyeing the "extra" iMac! Also, will my old iMac hard drive (4gb IDE) go in here? I think it will, based on the info in the auction. Only two days left on the auction- please respond!

Thanks.

Val</STRONG>

sinfonian94
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 10:59 PM

By the way, a C500 has the same system profile as a Performa 6400. It's a better machine than a 4400, except for the fact that the C500 only has 2 PCI slots, but that's not a big deal when only using as a jukebox.

Chris

[quote]Originally posted by Carolus:
<STRONG>
Originally posted by ValVashon:
[QB]Found a Umax c500 on eBay for cheap-

Tricky stuff ;-)

Remember that any MacOS above 8.1 is not supported on these clones,
due to different motherboard and system-enablers issues, etc.
You might be able to run OS 8.5/8.6 on these machines somehow,
but not every feature might be supported.

There should be some tech-info about these machines in the former
Apple Tech Info Library (TIL)-Archives, since Apple once incorporated
Umax'old support library in their own TIL.

I do'nt know for sure, but I think these are SCSI machines,
with normally HDT (Hard Disk Toolkit) formatted SCSI drives...

If you want to team-up with your iMac, It's probably better to go for an old Apple PM 4400 with IDE-drive (and capable of running OS 9 also;
although you should go for a configuration with 64 MB ram if possible).

Good luck ,

cheers Carolus</STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules