Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > MP3s hiccup on Apple Tv (3rd gen)

MP3s hiccup on Apple Tv (3rd gen)
jdschraff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2012, 11:41 AM

I just got the ATV 3 and I love it. The only issue I have is streaming 200MB+ mp3s or even AACs. The audio pauses for about a half a second repeatedly throughout. About every 20 seconds. These are audiobooks purchased on Audible and converted to MP3 and AAC.

The bitrate is low, 96 Kbps VBR, 44.100 kHz, and lower kHz for mp3.

It happens on both my 3rd gen iPod touch, and iPhone 4. These files play perfectly on the devices.

At first I thought it could be a lack of RAM in the ATV trying to buffer all of the file. But it streams HD content without a hiccup. It also plays music flawlessly.

Any ideas? Should I try yet a lower bitrate? Does ATV prefer some audio encoding settings over others?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jon

ibook_steve
Jul 2, 2012, 12:06 PM

Assuming you are connecting over wifi, what router are you using? Have you done any internal network speed measuring? What's your Internet connection speed?
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jdschraff  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2012, 02:34 PM

Haven't done any speed tests on the network, but it's a month old netgear N router. Haven't had any issues with the router. But how do I check the network speed on it?

My broadband is 20 Mbps down and 1.5 up.

I'm at work on a break so sorry if I don't reply immediately.

Thanks for the help!
Jon

ibook_steve
Jul 2, 2012, 02:43 PM

It doesn't make sense that some content plays fine while other content does not.

I'd take it to an Apple store and get a replacement. If the replacement still has an issue, something could be going on with your router. But the easiest thing would be to just get a replacement from Apple.

Steve

jdschraff  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2012, 03:35 PM

Yeah. I thought there might be a specific bitrate or other setting ATV likes better than others. But I rencoded an audiobook with exact settings used for my mp3s with no luck.

It is very strange, I agree because it's only audiobooks that do it. I updated the ATV last night thinking it might have been fixed.

I guess if I return it for a replacement and it doesn't help, I could try cutting the files into smaller pieces. Might help because, like I said all the other music files play smoothly.

Well, it's off to the Apple store Wednesday.

Thanks!

ibook_steve
Jul 2, 2012, 05:11 PM

File size and bit rate should not matter at all.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules