Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ITS ARRIVED

ITS ARRIVED
abstrakt44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2001, 05:42 PM

I just got my new iMac in today....Its the first time ive ever used Mac....man its a lot diff. then windows after using it for 6+ years...Hopefully i get use to it and like it more...Im sure ill be asking alot of question,,,im getting ready to by the Dazzle DV Bridge hook up a VCR and TV and get to Video Editing....I do have one question already when you delete something and put it in the trash is that uninstalling it from the computer all the way...or is there an uninstall thing like on a pc...?????

------------------
Shay D.
Shay D.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2001, 06:10 PM

Some application installers have an "uninstall" option, but not all of them. Whether or not throwing something in the trash is the end of it (and it usually is) depends on the program.

Some programs use system extensions (the things you see at the bottom of the screen when starting up), and if you know what you want to get rid of, you can take them out of the Extensions folder, which is inside your System Folder. Applications also create small files in the Preferences folder (which is also inside your System folder), but these files are relatively small (most under 20k) and are only used to store preferences for whatever applications created them. A lot of program installers create installer logs so you can see what was installed and where.

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2001, 06:25 PM

Here's my tip o' the day: When you want to leave a program, you must actually quit it by choosing "Quit" from the File menu or hitting command (Apple)-Q on the keyboard. If you just close the window, the program will still be active and taking up memory, which could contribute to crashes if you leave too many programs open at once.

Also, keep in mind that just putting something in the trash doesn't actually delete it. You have to empty the trash (under the "Special" menu. When there is something in the trash, the trash can lid will be off to the side of the icon. When you empty it, the lid is on the can.

Have fun!

posthumanus
Senior User
Apr 11, 2001, 06:47 PM

my tip of the day: get familiar with how your mac works and get your basic operating system running smoothly and solidly before installing extra stuff (if you've got time).

use caution when mucking around in the system folder.

try labelling all of your base OS a certain colour: then when you do install something, everything about it will stick out like a sore thumb.

welcome to Mac: you're going to love it.

posthumanus out.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2001, 07:13 PM

My tip of the day: Hav e fun! Dont be afraid to try things... I find it rather difficult to seriously screw up your Mac unless you do something very stupid like delete the system folder

And yes.. make sure you "quit" applications Far to many people just close the windows (since they're used to windows) and the application still stays open. At first this may seem very stupid (that the app stays open) but once you get used to it you will see the advantages of this.

Enjoy your iMac and dont be afraid to ask around for help! The majority of Mac users are definately willing to help you out..

Ben

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 01:31 AM

Welcome to the Mac community!

Here's my tip of the day: make sure that you allocate sufficient memory to your applications. The Help menu that you get to through the Finder will take you through the steps on how to do it. Jus type in "adjusting your memory usage" and follow the directions. Raise the amount of preferred memory by at least 50% on all of your applications, and if you have enough physical RAM, double the memory allocated to things like your browsers and image-manipulating apps.

And definitely have fun

------------------
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Cipher13
Apr 12, 2001, 10:16 AM

My tip of the day: You can't screw up your Mac. Basically. Do whatever the hell you like, delete what you like, and see what happens.
If anything goes wrong? Put in your restore CD and reboot holding the "c" key down. Easy huh?
You can erase the majority of your System Folder and keep your Mac functional.

Just mess around - its the best way to learn. And read these forums. There is a wealth of information here - better than any book.

More tips: You can reboot sans-extensions by holding the shift key at startup - extensions sometimes "conflict" with each other causing problems.
If a problem goes away when you boot without extensions you know its an extension conflict - if not, then its not.
From there you can add some extensions back, try again, and see how it goes, via the Extensions Manager (space bar at startup). Trial and error.
Look around, get to know it, and it'll be your best friend.

Welcome to Macintosh.

------------------

Bockie
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 11:40 AM

My tip du jour:

You can easily access frequently used folders by dragging the open folder window to the bottom of the screen. The folder title bar should turn into a tab that can be clicked to pop-up the folder for easy access.

------------------
"Life cannot be contained...Life finds a way."
-Ian Malcom, Jurassic Park (movie version)
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 07:09 PM

My tip of the day: Always wear clean undies. You never know.
On a more serious note, I would recommend going to a library or bookstore and getting a "Macs for Dummies" or "MacWorld Mac Secrets" type book. They're good at introducing you to Mac terminology, troubleshooting, etc. Also, they usually showcase some popular applications (like AppleWorks, for example) and show you how to combine it with the features of the Mac to make things better, like dragging and dropping stuff from web pages into a print-form document. A lot of them include CDs with some useful software, too. You might also look into a Mac magazine subscription (I recommend MacAddict) to keep up to date on the latest tips and software to come from Apple. Also, as others mentioned, checking sites like MacNN and its forums are a great way to get answers. Oh, and I almost forgot the #1 rule to using any computer (Mac or otherwise): BACKUP ALL IMPORTANT STUFF!!! This is an especially good idea before you go "playing" around with the system and such. Good luck on your Mac experience (you won't want to go back).

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2001, 04:16 AM

First thing I did when I got my first Mac was go to the library and get the Mac OS9 Bible, MacWorld put it out I think. The book was something like $80 CDN so I wasn't going to buy it, but took it out for a couple of weeks. It really helped out alot.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2001, 11:08 PM

abstrakt44,

This is the best piece of advice you can get: upgrade to Mac OS X immediately. Don't bother investing the time to learn OS9 and to but software for it. Go to OSX straight away. You will be better off.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Cipher13
Apr 14, 2001, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by NeoMac:

abstrakt44,

This is the best piece of advice you can get: upgrade to Mac OS X immediately. Don't bother investing the time to learn OS9 and to but software for it. Go to OSX straight away. You will be better off.
No way! Dude - you want to do vid editing stuff. There is nothing available for OSX yet, and its a crappy unfinished OS... UGH.

Bad advice.

------------------

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2001, 10:43 AM

Macworld Mac Secrets is the BEST book I ever bought. It explains everything there is to know about the Mac. I recommend buying it.

------------------

iMac1337

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2001, 10:46 AM

A fellow Hoosier with a new mac! Congratulations! I find these forums very informative and intertaining too! I ditto getting imac for dummies and Macworld Secrets by David Pogue. (New updated one due out this month) Sometimes a bit crazy but then aren't most mac users a bit crazy anyway? I love the tips. Everyone, please keep adding them. Even those of us who are not THAT new still have a lot to learn. MORE TIPS PLEASE!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules