Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disable Mavericks Notification banners by command lines?

Disable Mavericks Notification banners by command lines?
Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2014, 12:28 PM

I'm trying to disable (turn off completely) Mavericks' Notification banners campus wide by command lines. Do you happen to know what's the command line to disable it? And, yes, I did google it up but it kept on saying to turn off from System Preferences>App Store and uncheck these boxes. It doesn't answer my question.

Thanks!

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2014, 04:50 PM

I think the problem is that you want to do it with the command line. In ML it was possible to truly disable the Notification center by renaming a core system software component, but in Mavericks that same solution caused problems. However, Apple added a method of effectively disabling all notifications by using the Do Not Disturb function in the Notifications portion of System Prefs (set it so that notifications are only active for one minute during the middle of the night and you'll never see notifications again unless you happen to be using the computer at that time). Possibly you can find a way to set the Do Not Disturb preferences via a command-line function. That wouldn't exactly perform the function you wish, but it's a reasonable work-around. Otherwise you'll be left to set this function on each machine manually.

Forum Links
Forum Rules