Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > For Shame

For Shame
subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2016, 10:52 AM

Thousands of California soldiers forced to repay enlistment bonuses a decade after going to war - LA Times

I lay responsibility for this "solution" at the feet of the Commander in Chief.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2016, 11:01 AM

Very shameful outcome for Obama.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2016, 11:05 AM

I'd say it even rates a "**** you".

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2016, 01:03 PM

This sounds like something that will require a legislative fix. It does't appear that the Pentagon or the POTUS can waive these debts unilaterally.

The problem offers a dark perspective on the Pentagon’s use of hefty cash incentives to fill its all-volunteer force during the longest era of warfare in the nation’s history.

Even Guard officials concede that taking back the money from military veterans is distasteful.

“At the end of the day, the soldiers ended up paying the largest price,” said Maj. Gen. Matthew Beevers, deputy commander of the California Guard. “We’d be more than happy to absolve these people of their debts. We just can’t do it. We’d be breaking the law.”
I imagine if the Congress passed a law authorizing the Pentagon to waive these debts then President Obama would sign it in a heart beat. But if the historical record is any guide towards future behavior then I expect the GOP controlled Congress will be more inclined to use this as a political football against Obama (over mistakes made before he was even POTUS) rather than doing something that truly "supports the troops".

OAW

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2016, 01:20 PM

I'm willing to accept the possibility Obama's hands are tied, but the statements from above are about what the National Guard can do.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2016, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm willing to accept the possibility Obama's hands are tied, but the statements from above are about what the National Guard can do.
Indeed that's the case. But I don't think it's a stretch to infer that when he said "We'd be breaking the law." that Congress would need to get involved since the article said this was not just a California National Guard issue.

OAW

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2016, 02:09 PM

Go after to people who illegally offered the bonuses. DUH!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2016, 02:14 PM

They seem to be doing that on some level, but that's little comfort to the people who have to cough up money.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2016, 03:21 PM

Surely they could agree that the money is legally owed but then make no actual attempts to collect?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2016, 10:59 AM

The Pentagon is a massive operation. Had a feeling the top brass didn't know this was going on.

Defense Secretary Ash Carter ordered the Pentagon on Wednesday to stop clawing-back the bonuses that thousands of soldiers got for reenlisting to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"There is no more important responsibility for the Department of Defense than keeping faith with our people," Carter said in a statement. "That means treating them fairly and equitably, honoring their service and sacrifice, and keeping our word. Today, in keeping with that obligation, I am ordering a series of steps to ensure fair treatment for thousands of California National Guard soldiers who may have received incentive bonuses and tuition assistance improperly as a result of errors and in some cases criminal behavior by members of the California National Guard."

Carter's announcement was greeted with cheers in Kempner, Texas where Don and Susan Haley — both Iraq War veterans — had been struggling to pay back the bonuses they got when they reenlisted a decade ago in the California National Guard.

"This is awesome," Don Haley, 47, told NBC News. "I wish this happened a week ago. My wife just cut a check for $650 to cover this month's payment."

The good news for the Haleys, whose son lost a leg while fighting in Afghanistan, came after Carter — in an exclusive interview with NBC News — blasted the treatment of thousands of soldiers who were being forced to return the bonuses they got for signing up for six more years.

"Well, of course I am outraged," Carter said. "This is a case where we have a trust with the service members who have served us and ... we need do justice. And we need to do it fast."
DoD Sec. Ash Carter Orders Pentagon to Stop Reclaiming Reenlistment Bonuses - NBC News

OAW

andi*pandi
Oct 26, 2016, 11:27 AM

Who came up with this policy in california? When? There's something else fishy here.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2016, 12:52 PM

[turns evil eye on Jerry Brown]

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2016, 12:58 PM

[but still keeping the other one on Obama]

Forum Links
Forum Rules