Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > anyone know about PRAM????

anyone know about PRAM????
bluetooth
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2001, 01:49 PM

hi all

I am going to sell a powerbook 520c, but a while ago it stopped showing the right date and the screen brightness. I suspected it was the PRAM battery as this thing is seven years old.

I took the thing apart (there were sooo many torx screws) and I have found what I believe to be the PRAM battery, could someone confirm that it really is, there are two pics here: Pics of what I think is the PRAM battery

What sort of voltage would one expect from a new battery? cos when I tested this thing I was getting just under 5v across the two batterys, which I would have thought would be enough to keep the PRAM going.

If I have to get a new battery how much wil it cost me???

thansk

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: bluetooth ]
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

uberden
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2001, 04:44 PM

Yes, that is the PRAM battery. It only takes a small charge (AMPS) to keep the PRAM. The voltage is not that important. You would need to measure the amps under a load condition on the battery to know if it was flat. Since it is seven years old, it is probably gone.

I'll try to look up the other specs and any tests that can be done when I get home from work. I'll post if I find anything else that can help you.

bluetooth  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2001, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by uberden:
<STRONG>Yes, that is the PRAM battery. It only takes a small charge (AMPS) to keep the PRAM. The voltage is not that important. You would need to measure the amps under a load condition on the battery to know if it was flat. Since it is seven years old, it is probably gone.

I'll try to look up the other specs and any tests that can be done when I get home from work. I'll post if I find anything else that can help you.</STRONG>
cool thanks, if i get a new battery what should the max capacity (mA) be. I asked for one in an apple shop today and they said they would have to order it so i said no thanks. I might buy 2 single batterys from Maplin and connect the wires my self.
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Forum Links
Forum Rules