Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new hard drive for TiBook 550

new hard drive for TiBook 550
chriswright
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 02:35 PM

I have maxed out the 20GB drive in my powerbook, and want to upgrade to pref a 60 GB drive. Can anyone recomend one ?

Thanks

Chris

Mr Ti
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2003, 04:06 PM

I'm in exactly the same position with my 550. It is only the size on my HD that is really making me think of upgrading to a new powerbook,.......and the fact that the misses won't let me spend the cash

tobster
Senior User
Jan 30, 2003, 08:48 PM

I'm thinking of the same for my 30 GB 667 DVI model. I've decided to take the 60 GB IBM model, with the 5400 speed.

IBM 60 GB @ MacSales.com

Anyone have a problem with this? I'd really like one in this storage range but also think it is a must to have a 5400 drive. I'm told that might speed up os x a bit since it uses the HD a lot.

thx, tobs

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2003, 09:35 PM

Fujitsu MHS2060AT

Toshiba MK6021GAS

Both are 4200 rpm and both are very fast. And both use less power than 5400 rpm drives and cost a lot less. Both are used in current TiBooks.

I have both. (One in my TiBook and one external Firewire.)

tobster
Senior User
Jan 30, 2003, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Fujitsu MHS2060AT

Toshiba MK6021GAS

Both are 4200 rpm and both are very fast. And both use less power than 5400 rpm drives and cost a lot less. Both are used in current TiBooks.
It seems to me the prices are only 40 dollars aways or so. What is the actual speed gain of going to a 5400 instead of the 4200 drives you mention. The power issue ain't a big problem to me as I am close to electricity most of the time.

thx, tobs

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2003, 10:13 PM

I bought mine at www.newegg.com, they have good prices. Also check out www.googlegear.com, www.macsales.com, and www.transintl.com.

I have bought from all of them and have had no problems at all.

GK

olli2
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2003, 02:01 AM

I would go for a Hitachi drive if one is accessible. IBM's HDD business have seen a lot of trouble in the recent years. It does not mean that these drives are bad, but I would have more confidence in a Hitachi, as there weren't any complaints about them.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2003, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by olli2:
I would go for a Hitachi drive if one is accessible. IBM's HDD business have seen a lot of trouble in the recent years. It does not mean that these drives are bad, but I would have more confidence in a Hitachi, as there weren't any complaints about them.
I guess you don't realize that Hitachi's storage division is IBM. Hitachi simply bought it.
It seems to me the prices are only 40 dollars aways or so. What is the actual speed gain of going to a 5400 instead of the 4200 drives you mention. The power issue ain't a big problem to me as I am close to electricity most of the time.
Actually the sequential transfer speed of these 4200 rpm drives is FASTER. The random seek speeds will be slower however.

The real speed increase would be when you go to the high end 5400 rpm drives like the 40GNX. This unit has 8 MB cache. It doesn't come in a 60 GB size, however.

tobster
Senior User
Jan 31, 2003, 03:30 AM

Actually the sequential transfer speed of these 4200 rpm drives is FASTER. The random seek speeds will be slower however.
What does that mean to a person like me? Sequential? Random seek?

I'm a medium user I guess, doing a little bit of everything, from iChat use up to a bit of DVD authoring. iMovie, FCe, Photoshop, web design, print layout, Word notes for school and all that in between.

I'd love a 60 gb drive although all that space isn't essential. I get by with my 30 gb today but would in the end need a few more GBs to manage some projects. Speed matters a lot though.

- tobs

olli2
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2003, 05:31 AM

I guess you don't realize that Hitachi's storage division is IBM. Hitachi simply bought it.
Hitachi has its own storage production industry. The purchase of IBM storage production will show effect only a couple of month later. Similarly to Maxtor-Quantum, where you could distingish Quantum origined products later on, too,

Forum Links
Forum Rules