Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PISMO UPGRADE, I WANT a G3 500 Card

PISMO UPGRADE, I WANT a G3 500 Card
JediMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2002, 12:32 PM

If you get the upgrade trace me CPU cards, I have a pismo 400 I would love to get the 500 card. I cant afford the G4 upgrade just yet. PLease contact me if you are interested.

[email protected]

Thanks guys!

Rich Jercha
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2002, 08:47 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by JediMac:
<strong>If you get the upgrade trace me CPU cards, I have a pismo 400 I would love to get the 500 card. I cant afford the G4 upgrade just yet. PLease contact me if you are interested.

[email protected]

Thanks guys!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">hey check ebay. they have lots of that kind of stuff just lying around in people's basement's waiting to be bought. I don't know about g3 500 cards, but I have seen tons of processor cards for older powerbooks that have been upgraded and no longer need the originals.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2002, 10:06 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by JediMac:
<strong>If you get the upgrade trace me CPU cards, I have a pismo 400 I would love to get the 500 card. I cant afford the G4 upgrade just yet. PLease contact me if you are interested.

[email protected]

Thanks guys!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I think you may run into a problem there. The deal is that the companies actually use the old card and trade the processors. There's no extra card to be had. Sorry.

PeteWK

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2002, 02:25 AM

Yes, but the person sending in a 500-megahertz module might as well give someone the 500-megahertz G3 on it before replacing the chip with a 500-megahertz G4.

The only problem here is slower cache on the 400-megahertz CPU modules. I figured this out after the trade, and I'm hurtin'. While most 400-megahertz PowerBooks are capable of running their cache at 200 megahertz, 500-megahertz cards that can overclock to 250 megahertz, so the it's a "win/lose" situation, not the "win/win" situation I had thought it would be before I did the trade. Shipping costs money, too.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2002, 05:15 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by seanyepez:
<strong>Yes, but the person sending in a 500-megahertz module might as well give someone the 500-megahertz G3 on it before replacing the chip with a 500-megahertz G4.

The only problem here is slower cache on the 400-megahertz CPU modules. I figured this out after the trade, and I'm hurtin'. While most 400-megahertz PowerBooks are capable of running their cache at 200 megahertz, 500-megahertz cards that can overclock to 250 megahertz, so the it's a "win/lose" situation, not the "win/win" situation I had thought it would be before I did the trade. Shipping costs money, too.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hope the speed difference is only slight. As for me, I have both a 400 and 500 card. I shelled out 350 bucks on ebay for the 500 some months back. It really does make the Pismo more of a joy to use. But given what you've just said, I'm going to have to think hard as to which one of the cards I'll keep as a back up. Hmmmmm.

PeteWK

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2002, 09:13 AM

same as <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=005248" target="_blank"> this thread</a> .
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules