Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > BSOD Widget

BSOD Widget
sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2005, 06:26 PM

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/08/apple_bsod.html

Monday, August 6 12:00 AM ET

Apple's Tiger Will Include BSOD Widget
By Russell Skingsley

Cupertino, CA - Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller announced that the next update to its operating system "Tiger" would come with a blue screen of death widget. He said that this is being released in response to users that need to blend in with their corporate standard operating environments.

"Many users prefer to use a Mac at work but fear the persecution from the IT support staff for not complying with the corporate standard," said Schiller.

Now Mac users can install the BSOD widget and when they see the IT manager approaching simply press "F12." Their screen instantly becomes filled with an image of the blue screen of death. Not only does this fool the IT manager into believing the user is adhering to the corporate standard, it also sends him scurrying back to his office as quickly as possible to avoid fixing the problem.

Schiller suggested that this continues the trend of making Mac OS X more "enterprise friendly."

"What started with Windows file-sharing compatibility that only partly works is further improved with the BSOD widget. We at Apple understand that we need to increase our perception of unreliability if we are to compete with Windows in the workplace. The BSOD widget is big step in that direction."

i can't believe how defensive i'm being, but:

a) it made me laugh,
b) i thought i'd share it, since i'm such a nice fellow, and
c) i searched to check if this had been posted already.

so if anyone out there timelines my arse...

sminch

OpenStep
Senior User
Aug 12, 2005, 07:48 PM

The image size, it's too big! And it stopped being clever about the third time it was posted!
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Aug 14, 2005 at 11:54 AM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 09:25 PM

Well, I thought it was funny.

Someone should actually write one. Then you could impress Windows users with how easily MAC's recover from the BSOD. "Look here-- all I've got to do is push the F12 key, and my machine reboots INSTANTLY!"

*jaws drop*

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 10:44 PM

I just made one for this thread, but its broken... how ironic. anyone want to debug for me?

download non-working version

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 10:56 PM

why did my post not bump this thread to the top? this forum is turning buggy... 2nd time today.

it still says 3 replies, when theres obviously 4.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
I just made one for this thread, but its broken... how ironic. anyone want to debug for me?

download non-working version
Heh. Nice try.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
Heh. Nice try.
any idea why it doesn't work? or did it magically work for you?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
any idea why it doesn't work? or did it magically work for you?
No, it flashes for a sec, then gone. I'm not qualified to hazard a guess as to why.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 02:47 PM

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 03:37 PM

That's a hoot, if you ask me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules