Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What game controller do you like the best?

View Poll Results: What game controller do you like the best?
Poll Options:
GameCube 24 votes (53.33%)
Playstation 2 13 votes (28.89%)
XBox 4 votes (8.89%)
Other (3rd party) 4 votes (8.89%)
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll
What game controller do you like the best?
Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Jan 20, 2003, 09:04 PM

Personally I like the PS2's the most.

I have large hands and I find the GameCube controller either for little kids hands or the eastern market. I can see that the GameCube's controller was well thought out and theoretically better layout in actually use I don't like it that much. The LR buttons have to be pushed with the tips of my fingers and they are to close together and the extra click in em doesn't feel right. Also it doesn't have as many buttons as the PS2.

The PS2 controller is VERY comfortable and I love all the extra buttons it has. The dual analog controllers on it are great. The 2 rumbles in it are also nice.

The XBOX controller is clunky even for my hands, no doubt Starman thinks it is the best.

What controller do you like and why?
( Last edited by Emotionally Fragile Luke; Jan 20, 2003 at 09:28 PM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2003, 09:12 PM

I think the N64 controller is the best I have ever tried. Awsome. If the GameCube controller is anything like it then it gets my vote.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2003, 09:13 PM

I would have to say N64 also.

-Owl

tintub
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 09:15 PM

Emotionally Fragile Luke  (op)
Banned
Jan 20, 2003, 09:17 PM

I was going to add a big stupid joystick to the poll but I thought it was to obvious of a joke. Kinda like "What car is the coolest" and then someone posts a old rusted car in the junkyard.

Laughs all round.

tintub
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Emotionally Fragile Luke:
I was going to add a big stupid joystick to the poll but I thought it was to obvious of a joke. Kinda like "What car is the coolest" and then someone posts a old rusted car in the junkyard.

Laughs all round.
bitter?

Banned
Jan 20, 2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by tintub:
bitter?
Na, but I was expecting more.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 09:24 PM

Definitely the GameCube, for it's functionality and aesthetics. I find it to be really comfortable to use and the C stick for controlling the camara on games that support it is great.
...The Xbox one is really laughable, so is the whole console design.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2003, 09:25 PM

Laughs all round.
Don't dis 80s retro joysticks

They served me well on my C64 and Atari ST. <wanders off in dreamy nostalgia>

Banned
Jan 20, 2003, 09:27 PM

The thing I don't like about the N64 one is the left half of the controller was almost never used for any of the games. Kinda a waste of space.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2003, 09:35 PM

as one of the sports games maniacs...i think the gamecube control is the best i have ever used

my friends also agree because it gives them superior control over the targeting. especially multi player sport games with multiple people to control (nba/nfl/soccer)

even my one friend who is 6'5" says he plays better nba courtside because even though he has large hands, it gives him superior leverage

so, for sport games i say GC controller is the best i ever used

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2003, 09:37 PM

and for you people constantly picking fights with skywalker, you're hipocrites.

there are lots of people here at MacNN who act exactly the same way but you never talk to them with as much contempt

Banned
Jan 20, 2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:

my friends also agree because it gives them superior control over the targeting. especially multi player sport games with multiple people to control (nba/nfl/soccer)
I don't get it, is it because of the design of the controller or because of the way the game was written?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 09:42 PM

I don't really like any of them.

The gamecube one, had I tried it, would probably win me over.

The xbox one, well, meh, it's ok, but the 2 memory card slots make it really fat, and the control sticks are a bit too high.

But the rumble in the xbox controller is awesome. For the moment, I'll stick to what I know best and vote for best PC game controller ever: sidewinder gamepad :eg:
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2003, 09:48 PM

I personally love the GC controller. The Xbox one. The first version was pathetic, and I haven't found I like the smaller version much more. I like the PS controller when I don't have to use the analogs, because I don't like the positions. Fighting games? PS controller rules.

The N64 design with a new analog would be awesome. GC rules, though.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2003, 09:51 PM

there are lots of people here at MacNN who act exactly the same way but you never talk to them with as much contempt
I was making a joke

Dissing oldfashioned joysticks don't bother me.

What do you mean you wern't talking to me!!? My ego does not allow such a thing. Hrmf.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 09:55 PM

The keyboard and mouse combo. Does that count?
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2003, 09:59 PM

I like the PS2 one best.

How can people like the N64 one!? It was horrible! To get access to all the buttons you have to move your left hand off the controller completely. That's death! The GC's is a huge improvement.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2003, 10:02 PM

Depends on the game. Overall, the PS2 has the best design IMO.

If I'm playing a first person shooter or a RTS (like diablo or wc2) then it's gotta be a mouse and keyboard.

If it's a driving game, give me the PS2.

If it's a fighting game, Super Nintendo.

If it's an platformer, N64.

The Xbox controller is pure garbage. It's too big for me, and I have huge hands. It's like playing a video game with a friggin spare tire.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2003, 10:07 PM

Forget about that Atari Joystick, give me a Power Glove and Michael Jackson's Moonwalker video game! Heeeeheeee!!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Banned
Jan 20, 2003, 10:08 PM

Voodoo is ok it is just Philzilla, the former "dude" and tintub that TRYING to be jerks but they ain't even very good at that. Not that I care either way though

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2003, 10:10 PM

I think controller design peaked at the N64 one and has never reached that greatness yet.

PS2 is a 5 year old design with more buttons, xbox is too bulky, and the GC is just a bit to funky for my tastes.

Banned
Jan 20, 2003, 10:15 PM

So why do you think they N64 was the bomb? I thought the joystick was much too slippery and like I said I never even touched the left 1/3 of the controller. The trigger also hurt my finger after a while.

tintub
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 10:19 PM

read the thread again. who's picking a fight?

Banned
Jan 20, 2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by tintub:
read the thread again. who's picking a fight?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2003, 10:24 PM

I don't get it, is it because of the design of the controller or because of the way the game was written?
i think it's a combination of both

the way the button layout ("a" and "b" buttons) combined with the c-stick to make the special dunks and kicks come out are by far the more intuitive of the controllers. i guess the ps2 one is good in it's simple layout but you can't distinguish the buttons as easily from touch.

and by the way, philzilla is the biggest pos the history of the internet has ever come across.

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I think the N64 controller is the best I have ever tried. Awsome. If the GameCube controller is anything like it then it gets my vote.
I like the feel of the N64 controller (the Z button is great), but you had to move your left hand from place to place to comfortably use the analog and the dpad at the same time; with the PS2 controller, they are both right there -- so I go for PS2 (although the L3 and R3 buttons are difficult to use [dammit, STAND UP Vince, and stop honking the horn all the time!])

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by ink:
I like the feel of the N64 controller (the Z button is great), but you had to move your left hand from place to place to comfortably use the analog and the dpad at the same time; with the PS2 controller, they are both right there -- so I go for PS2 (although the L3 and R3 buttons are difficult to use [dammit, STAND UP Vince, and stop honking the horn all the time!])
LOL, only when you get too excited and mash the analog sticks does that happen. For instance, I was honking the horn through the entire mission "The Driver." That mission sucks ASS, by the way.

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by iNub:
LOL, only when you get too excited and mash the analog sticks does that happen. For instance, I was honking the horn through the entire mission "The Driver." That mission sucks ASS, by the way.
Yeah, but it's all worth it for the Publicity Tour mission. I was laughing my ass off the whole time, while the three drunk transexual Scotts were trying to disarm the vodka bottle.

Cipher13
Jan 20, 2003, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
I like the PS2 one best.

How can people like the N64 one!? It was horrible! To get access to all the buttons you have to move your left hand off the controller completely. That's death! The GC's is a huge improvement.
Any game that required the dpad/L button AND the stick/z trigger to be used simultaneously is terribly designed.

Those buttons were designed with redundancy in mind.

I don't own a single game where I have to switch my hands around like that.

Best controller: N64, easy.
Second best: GameCube.
Third best: SNES.

No, I'm not Nintendo biased.

I despise the Playstation controller. Yes, I own one. The dual shock design is one of the most horrible things I've ever seen. The sticks feel great, but barely work (PS 1, I'm talking about. I don't own a PS2), and the design is beyond awkward.

Maybe it's because I don't have big hands (I don't know if I do or not?), but I find it uncomfortable reaching over with my thumb to use the analogue stick, and I find it quite bad RSI/CTS wise.

However, the shoulder buttons are well done.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 11:04 PM

N64, hands (pun!) down. As soon as I held one, it fit perfectly and all the buttons and stick were right where you needed them. The only game I know that used both the D pad and Stick was Turok, and that was just to switch walking modes IIRC. Not a huge deal.

I hated the PS1 controllers the first time I used them, and I can't stand the symbols that they use to distinguish them. Nintendo got that right as well: up, down, left & right, not X, Square, Circle, Triangle. Sure, I'm sure you get used to that after a while, but with the N64's you dan't have to, the learning curve is precisely zero.

Keep in mind that the N64 is the only console I've ever owned, though I've played almost all of the biggest ones since the Telstar.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Banned
Jan 20, 2003, 11:07 PM

Every time i have to use the Z button in the GameCube controller I have to wonder if Apple had a bunch of drunk monkey's working for them at the time.

Cipher13
Jan 20, 2003, 11:12 PM

Every time i have to use the Z button in the GameCube controller I have to wonder if Apple had a bunch of drunk monkey's working for them at the time.
Agreed. Terrible.

Nimisys
Banned
Jan 20, 2003, 11:15 PM

strangely enough the xbox one is the only ones that fit my had comfortably, the others are too small

Woehrle46
Jan 20, 2003, 11:28 PM

Am I the only one that actually likes the Xbox controller? I like the large size of the xbox controller, it feels solid and the joysticks/triggers are perfect for shooters. I tried the GC at my friends house but somehow it seems a bit too small for my hands and it just felt a bit flimsy. I do like the ps2 controller, but it dosent really work that well on shooters like red faction, but other than that i think the dual shock is great.
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2003, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
Nintendo got that right as well: up, down, left & right, not X, Square, Circle, Triangle.
What? It's X, B, Y, A, not up, down, left, right.
Originally posted by Cipher13:
Any game that required the dpad/L button AND the stick/z trigger to be used simultaneously is terribly designed.
That doesn't have to be true. If they had designed the controller better then it wouldn't be true. And besides, I was more referring to the awkwardness of using the stick and the arrows easily. You can use them both on the GC controller without moving your entire hand.

TommyLeeRoth
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2003, 01:37 AM

1. Cube, even though the z button is a joke.

2. PS2. Good, but I don't like the angle the "grab" bits come off the controller at.

3. Xbox Controller S. It's bearable. The original one was plain stupid.

Thrax
Banned
Jan 21, 2003, 03:15 AM

PS2
Advantages: button layout works for most games, 4 buttons to work with when using 2 analog sticks, long cord
Disadvantages: face buttons named after shapes, pressure-sensitive buttons not implemented well

'Cube
Advantages: button layout great for games designed specifically for controller, plugs same colors as controllers
Disadvantages: cord too short (solution: Wave Bird), Z and Start buttons in bad positions, directional pad too small, many games (coughCapcomVsSNK2cough) do not work with weird button layout

Xbox (Controller S)
Advantages: very long cord, ports for mic and memory card, pressure-sensitive buttons work
Disadvantages: black and grey buttons hard to reach, only available in one color, too many squishy buttons

Overall, I like the PS2 controller best, but games like Metroid Prime show that the 'Cube's controller can be better when control schemes are designed specifically with it in mind.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2003, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
However, the shoulder buttons are well done.
I don't really understand why lot of people like PS2's shoulder buttons. It's located at so uncomfortable location. If I put my fingers on L1/R1, it'd feel like I could slip and drop the controller. It's out of the reach. I have medium-sized hands. I agree that Dual Sticks is one of the worst ideas I've seen. So weak and too soft.

My vote is in for GameCube but I disagree that's it's good for sports game like APU said. Almost all reviewers (even IGNCube) agree that it doesn't work well for both complex fightning and realistic sports games.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2003, 06:52 AM

I say other meaning N64. I really liked the N64 controller. I like the GameCube controller but the Z button has been moved to a bad spot. In Zelda, I find myself hitting the wrong button all the time to use my items because I have something set to Z and I use X instead. I'm just used to the C buttons. Going up near the R button to use an item just isn't working out for me. The Z button as a map button or something other than commonly used items has been OK, though.

Anyway, N64 controller gets my vote.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2003, 06:56 AM

I think Macs are getting to you. That's OK. I see Nintendo and Apple as similar companies too. They both make products that I love.

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2003, 07:13 AM

I used to be happy with the PS2 controller till I got my Gamecube. I love the Gamecube controller. Sony should do a Dualshock3 with the analogue stick where it needs to be for modern gaming. And stop making the anologue stick so high, it doesn't need to stand up so high does it?

What use is the Gamecube Z button? Ejector seat? Escape pod? Self destruct? I know, Death Blossom.
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I think Macs are getting to you. That's OK. I see Nintendo and Apple as similar companies too. They both make products that I love.
Its not just me then?
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Cipher13
Jan 21, 2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Hahaha... I didn't even notice.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2003, 08:50 AM

GC and original XBox are my 2 faves.

The new XBox and PS2 controllers I don't like.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
What? It's X, B, Y, A, not up, down, left, right.
I was talking only about the N64. I haven't played any of the latest consoles.

Banned
Jan 21, 2003, 03:52 PM

Does anyone have a picture of the first XBOX controller and the newer one. When did they switch them?

I thought they only made a smaller on for the eastern market? Is that the same one they eventually shipped in the US as well?

Thrax
Banned
Jan 21, 2003, 04:41 PM

Microsoft released Controller S in the West a few months after it released the Xbox. It was sold separately until they started including two games in every box.

If you look around, you can find a limited edition Controller S with a green jewel instead of a standard black one. There is also a gray Controller S available in Japan.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2003, 05:02 PM

The PS2 controller is the most well rounded, as it works best for all sorts of games. HOwever, as has been stated, the primary analog stick is in a terrible location for just about anything.

The GameCube controller is the best, but it is too specialized for 3D games. The button layout works great for some games and terribly for others. Also, the D-Pad is terrible, poorly placed and small.

The X-Box controller is just big clunky and crappy overall. The buttons are tiny and they suck and it is too huge. What's the point of having a giant 1.5" plastic dome right in the middle? I have not tried the new smaller one, so it may be better. I dunno.

I still prefer the N64 controller for console FPS. The "Turok style" design system was great. I still can't quite hack it with the duel analogs like I could back in the N64 days.

The crappiest controller award however, has to go to the Dreamcast. It just plain sucked butt.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2003, 05:06 PM

i agree with skywalkers comments about the N64 controller. ya it was nice, but when did you ever use that 1/3rd with the D pad? it left you ALWAYS holding the right 2/3rds of it which was a little cramped.

the gamecube controller is basically the N64 controller without the middle 1/3rd. just what id hoped for. i like the button layout. you know easily what button youre hitting without looking down at it. perfect. as for the Z button, its sort of in a stupid place, but i dont know of any game where youre going to be hitting it too much. i think nintendo put it there to be used in the same purpose as a "select" button would be on the NES or SNES. to bring up a map or whatever.

i like the dual shock playstation controller, except i can never remember where the triangle/square/circle/whatever shaped buttons are. and it seems like EVERY game ive played for playstation has some part of the game where you have to do the "hit the certain shaped button in a certain amount of time" (parappa the rapper, FF9 come to mind) thing. its not very intuitive. the dual analog sticks feel nice, and even though i dont really like rumble since it adds very little to the game experience the rumble is better than any that nintendo offered.

ive only held the "original" xbox controller, not the S version. i thought it was definitely too bulky, but i have largeish hands so it wasnt much of an issue for me. the buttons seemed to be really small to me too. it just didnt "feel" good to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules