Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo not doing to good with GameCube

Nintendo not doing to good with GameCube
I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 05:03 PM

Even though I have been a Nintendo Fanboy from the 80's I must say that I am once again disapointed with the GameCube. They seems to be in the same situation as with the N64, lots of delays, not enough games.

Yes Metroid was one of the best games ever and I bet Zelda will be also but a few games are not enough to sell the whole system.

I find myself playing my PS2 much more because of the large selection of games for it.

The CG is great, small, fast cool. But with no real online option and only a handfull of great games if I had to chose one system today it would still be the PS2.

Sure hope they can change things around.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...biznintendo_dc

"Barwaraaawww"

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 3, 2003, 05:08 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 6, 2004 at 01:18 AM. )

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2003, 05:13 PM

Nintendo's still the most profitable of three (anyone have that article link?), Nintendo has tons of money, they will continue making games, and we'll be happy. It's doing way better than the N64 did, and has way more games than the N64 had within the same time frame. I think they're doing fine. They'll live forever, like Apple, so I'm not worried.

I'll second that snore.

finalfantasy
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2003, 05:15 PM

should be "Nintendo not doing too well with GameCube.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2003, 05:16 PM

Never mind that Nintendo is doing better as far as profits are concerned than M$'s XBox division or even Sony's Playstation division. Though I must admit that I haven't heard figures for GC and GBA separately, since I don't think Ninty actually separates them like that. Suffice it to say, Nintendo has a great lineup, and it's slated to get even better this year. Right now is a bit of a drought for Nintendo, as this time of year usually is. When E3 rolls around, though, the gaming companies will be showing us their hands.

BG

I Bent My Wookiee  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:

Doesn't matter if those games are good or not. It's all about quantity... not quality.
I don't see many people complaining about a ton off piss poor PS2 games. I have tons of PS2 games that I love to death, I have 2 GC games that I love.

"Barwaraaawww"

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran

Nintendo's policy has always been quality over quantity. Every year they pimp Miyamoto who puts out a couple of mega-hit titles and then just rely on the third parties fill in the rest of the months on the calendar. Their only problem is that third party support just hasn't been there since the Super Nintendo days.

Not to suggest this is a failing policy. It's not that unlike Apple's. I expect Nintendo to be around for a long while. It just means that Nintendo's platform systems are becoming more and more of a sustainable niche.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite

Oh no, not enough games for this platform...sounds familiar eh?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

curmi
Senior User
Mar 3, 2003, 05:31 PM

You reckon you got it bad in the US?

In Australia the GameCube has something like 3% marketshare. Games come out about many months after the US, and in some cases (Animal Crossing is one) aren't likely to come out here at all.

Nintendo do almost zero advertising in Australia, during the Christmas season MS and Sony had so many ads on TV, it was no wonder that the XBox gained like 30% over that period.

I Bent My Wookiee  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 05:31 PM

I don't think anybody thinks Nintendo is going to go under, but even Nintendo admits that if the GC had come out at the same time as the PS2 that things would be very different.

A year ago Nintendo said that they are NOT going to release a new system every few years and they they are going to concentrate on making great games for the CG, a couple months ago they said they are coming out with a new system the same time as the PS3.

Nintendo seems to do a wicked job making games for their own system, but things get lost on the 3rd party front.

Many of the games out now for GC are just PS2 ports with very few improvments if any.

"Barwaraaawww"

imaxxedout
Banned
Mar 3, 2003, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by I Bent My Wookiee:
I find myself playing my PS2 much more because of the large selection of games for it.

The CG is great, small, fast cool. But with no real online option and only a handfull of great games if I had to chose one system today it would still be the PS2.
GASP! Get out!

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Oh no, not enough games for this platform...sounds familiar eh?
yea, but this is a gaming system! It doesn't do anything but play games.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by imaxxedout:
GASP! Get out!
You first.

I Bent My Wookiee  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
yea, but this is a gaming system! It doesn't do anything but play games.

He was trying to be smart, didn't work though.

"Barwaraaawww"

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 01:36 PM

Even though they sold a ton of systems for Zelda (The best game ever) they just came out with this forcast....

http://rss.com.com/2100-1043-995783....feed&subj=news

"The company announced in a statement Monday that it expects to report sales of 5.6 million GameCube units for the company's fiscal year, which ended March 31. That compares with lowered sales forecasts, provided late last year, that called for sales of 10 million to 12 million units.

Several major third-party game publishers have said recently that they intend to scale back the number of GameCube titles they will offer, and major European retailers have said they may drop sales of the console."

Bad news.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

imaxxedout69
Banned
Apr 7, 2003, 01:39 PM

Told you. In another thread I predicted that Nintendo will soon fall along the lines of Sega, and they'll just produce GAMES for the real consoles.

- Ca$h

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by imaxxedout69:
Told you. In another thread I predicted that Nintendo will soon fall along the lines of Sega, and they'll just produce GAMES for the real consoles.

- Ca$h
Like I keep tellin you a real system like PS2 couldn't have handled Metroid. XBox would have made short work of it though.

imaxxedout69
Banned
Apr 7, 2003, 02:07 PM

I'm telling you it could, and on top of that, it could have REAL music instead of that midi garbage.

- Ca$h

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 02:09 PM

Are you sure your medicine is compatible for you?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 02:10 PM

I'm telling you it could, and on top of that, it could have REAL music instead of that midi garbage.

- Ca$h
Fine but I don't know why you care so much. You have a PS2 go play it. Nintendo selling another system will not make your penis shrink anymore nor will it hurt your PS2 so get over it.

imaxxedout69
Banned
Apr 7, 2003, 02:28 PM

Actually here's be a way to save nintendo: Make another Super Nintendo with more Super Nintendo games.

I love SNES.

And I love 3D0.

Woo woo.

- Ca$h

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 02:34 PM

Oh please don't let M$ be the #2 console maker.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2003, 02:50 PM

I'm going to kill myself. I'm hanging myself with my GC controller. Well, maybe all four, since I'm a bit heavy.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Like I keep tellin you a real system like PS2 couldn't have handled Metroid. XBox would have made short work of it though.

- Ca$h
and neither of you as$holes are going to be able to produce a single shread of viable evidence to back up your stupid points so i think its time to shut the hell up.

thank you

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 02:53 PM

Too late. Microsoft already is #2.

Nintendo has seen a huge spike in console sales recently. I suspect that will end as soon as the free game with purchase of a 'Cube promotion ends.

If Nintendo wants to keep its console relevant it needs to give more developers incentives to make high profile games 'Cube-exclusive or at least 'Cube-first. And it has to be games that people still care about. The Resident Evil series is well past its prime. Microsoft and Sony have done this; why can't Nintendo?

And another thing, the controller for Nintendo's next console had better have a decent digital control pad.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
Too late. Microsoft already is #2.
Got any proofs to back you up?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
and neither of you as$holes are going to be able to produce a single shread of viable evidence to back up your stupid points so i think its time to shut the hell up.

thank you
What proof do you want exactly? the PS2 can't handle metroid one?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 03:09 PM

This sucks... Nintendo's the one gaming company that doesn't suck... I want a game cube but I ain't got no scratch.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by finalfantasy:
should be "Nintendo not doing too well with GameCube.
Yep, and note that he misspelled "too."

I tried Zelda in the store yesterday and it was awesome. I think that, as more and more awesome exclusive games come out for the GC, its market share is likely to increase. I know I wish that I could afford one. Plus, Nintendo still controls the handheld market. Even I have a GBA.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 03:16 PM

What proof do you want exactly? the PS2 can't handle metroid one?
whatever.

youre not going to be able to prove that the ps2 "cant handle metroid". whats so hard to understand?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2003, 03:23 PM

Well, even I don't want to sit here and pick apart the technicalities of why the PS2 couldn't a game like Metroid Prime. It could, just not at 60FPS with the same exact engine (not counting memory restraints).

And with Cash's two dumbass statements, he proves once again how clueless he is and should just stay the hell out of the GC thread like we all thought he agreed on.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Anomalous:
Yep, and note that he misspelled "too."

I tried Zelda in the store yesterday and it was awesome. I think that, as more and more awesome exclusive games come out for the GC, its market share is likely to increase. I know I wish that I could afford one. Plus, Nintendo still controls the handheld market. Even I have a GBA.
'

Well since "too" is spelt right GameCube MUST be selling well

You guys are the biggest bunch of fanboys I have ever seen.

I even said Zelda is the best game ever (and metroid is close) I have every Nintendo console even the Virtual Boy and I LOVE the company.

But when Nintendo says that they are selling less then half of what they expected even after the zelda peek and Europe my stop selling it all together you guys still plug your ears and say la la la, I can't hear you.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Well, even I don't want to sit here and pick apart the technicalities of why the PS2 couldn't a game like Metroid Prime. It could, just not at 60FPS with the same exact engine.
Right, I have a PS2 version of a game like Bounty hunter and the framerate is horrid even though the game doesn't look that great. The GC version is smooth as silk and it is just a cheap port.

Look at all the reviews, if a Game comes out for all three systems it will look and act the best on XBox then GC and PS2 is always last.

The upcoming matrix game is taking a while as they are spending tons of time to get the sucker to run well on PS2 as it has the lowest end hardware.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2003, 03:29 PM

Where did you pick up that Anomalous didn't agree with your original post, just because he pointed out "too"? He was just saying, I thought. We're not being fanboys -- well, I'm not. I just don't care -- Nintendo's making plenty of profit, and they have so much money, I'm not worried about there not being another console with all the games I love, or about Nintendo going out of business and becoming a software developer (which is the furthest thing from their plans, I bet). Besides, my friends have PS2 and Xbox if there's ever a game not for GC I want to play.

Edit: I hear ya on the framerates. And then there's games where the developers (or porting team) don't even put any effort into fixing framerate problems, and you end up with a GC that has a worse rate than the PS2 version (Tony Hawk 4, SSX Tricky, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance). That pisses me off. Put some effort into it.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 05:30 PM

Ca$h: The one time I strongly disagree... you want a strong opinion from me?

I chose an xbox as my christmas present last year and so far haven't found a single decent use for it and am sorry I wasted $200, it's total garbage.

It's a nice console, YES, the games are OK, yes, but all in all the experience sucks, the games are still WAAAAAY too expensive and I would have been happier with a gamecube

But we all make mistakes every now and then. That $200 game console has become a $200 paperweight as far as I'm concerned.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
That $200 game console has become a $200 paperweight as far as I'm concerned.
I think it's more of door holder than a paperweight

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 05:46 PM

I chose an xbox as my christmas present last year and so far haven't found a single decent use for it and am sorry I wasted $200, it's total garbage.

It's a nice console, YES, the games are OK, yes, but all in all the experience sucks, the games are still WAAAAAY too expensive and I would have been happier with a gamecube

But we all make mistakes every now and then. That $200 game console has become a $200 paperweight as far as I'm concerned.
Install Linux and make it a cluster node?

At least it would be usefull in some way..

I Bent My Wookiee  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 06:07 PM

What if Nintendo developed games for the XBox though? Many new games are coming out for XBox that are also coming out on Cube and the XBox version of the same game will be better.

"Barwaraaawww"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 06:25 PM

The experince bad on an M$ product? REALLY?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2003, 06:59 PM

The prices are the same for every console. $50 is more than reasonable for a game, IMO. Better than the SNES era, when some games came out at $70 a pop.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 07:03 PM

The prices are the same for every console. $50 is more than reasonable for a game, IMO. Better than the SNES era, when some games came out at $70 a pop.
Ya whatever, I remember N64 costing a ton cuz Nintendo and their ego's wanted another $10 on top of each title. They dropped that in the end when PS1 was kicking their ass.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 07:06 PM

Better than the SNES era, when some games came out at $70 a pop.
Oh yeah, I remembered that one too

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2003, 07:17 PM

Ya whatever, I remember N64 costing a ton cuz Nintendo and their ego's wanted another $10 on top of each title. They dropped that in the end when PS1 was kicking their ass.
Well, pressing a CD and painting it up was something like less than $6 at the time, while making a damn cartridge was about $24 to make, so I can kinda understand. I'm just glad I they finally moved onto disc-based media. GBA cartridges are awesome, though.

Natron
Apr 7, 2003, 07:50 PM

It's all about quantity... not quality.
Nintendo is the same as Apple, quality over quantity.

But when Nintendo says that they are selling less then half of what they expected even after the zelda peek and Europe my stop selling it all together you guys still plug your ears and say la la la, I can't hear you.
Aren't Mac fanatics the same way? When PC people start saying how the Mac sucks, we all plug our ears and then defend it to the ends of the earth.
"People spend too much time finding other people to blame, too much energy finding excuses for not being what they are capable of being, and not enough energy putting themselves on the line, growing out of the past, and getting on with their lives." JMS

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 08:26 PM

??iginally posted by Natron:
Nintendo is the same as Apple, quality over quantity.

Aren't Mac fanatics the same way? When PC people start saying how the Mac sucks, we all plug our ears and then defend it to the ends of the earth.
[/QUOTE]

So...have the best of both worlds. I have a PS2 and a GC. I have a Mac and a PC.

Loyalty is for the weak...most of the time.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by mishap:
Loyalty is for the weak...most of the time.
I disagree.

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 08:44 PM

Nintendo's president recently said that once they get out of the home console business, they are getting out of the video game business. they are not the next Sega you morons.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 09:33 PM

Well, pressing a CD and painting it up was something like less than $6 at the time, while making a damn cartridge was about $24 to make, so I can kinda understand. I'm just glad I they finally moved onto disc-based media. GBA cartridges are awesome, though.
Well ya but Nintendo just wanted $10 a title on top of the costs, they cut it later on.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 11:16 PM

Pokemon's lisencing rights (There was estimated 80 billion dollars worth of Pokemon goods sold worldwide, and that was before Silver and Gold even) will make sure Nintendo can keep being as wasteful as possible and still stay as a multi-billion dollar company for many many years.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 11:24 PM

I just bought a GameCube this weekend, and am digging it the most. Out of all three it seems the best to me, and it's definitely the most stylish of the three (I got the platinum version). When the PS2 came out, I thought to myself, "That's the best design they could come up with?" and XBox.... ugh! >_<

Anyway..... I'm happy with it.... I think the controller's design is fantastic, and the graphics have been top-notch. I should mention that, at least for me, there seems to be plenty of games to choose from. (I'm uber-happy because Hunter was ported to GameCube and now I own it!) The game selection doesn't seem to be a problem for me, but I'm not a hardcore gamer... Just an oldschooler who digs the old systems like Sega Genesis, and still trying to find another 32x ever since one of my dogs pissed on it.
( Last edited by Jim Paradise; Apr 7, 2003 at 11:34 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules